Preamp Tubes? - Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How?

• Thread starter joshuaaewallen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BluesRocker

Reaction score
Well, I am gonna hop off here for the night. Ashley is on her way to help me finish packing up to move.. Which I will say we will get started and then get busy doing something else on the dryer, couch, floor or whatever is near..

Night guys

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
Well, I am gonna hop off here for the night. Ashley is on her way to help me finish packing up to move.. Which I will say we will get started and then get busy doing something else on the dryer, couch, floor or whatever is near..

Night guys

Have fun Cody! Be sure that washer is on the spin cycle and a little out of balance !

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
hahaha! Good times man.

Well I better go too. I've got some run'n to do before work. Its my Monday. Yuck!(with an "F")

MM54

Reaction score
I'm here (for a little bit at least, waiting for the computer to finish up some stuff)

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I had to go out today and replace the mailbox my daughter took out in her little accident last night, then I had to go get my dad's John Deere mower and cut our grass because our mower hasn't worked all summer. I played for an hour or so this evening and then got out the tequila. I can feel Monday creeping up on me and I don't think Sunday is going to be long enough to recuperate. Tryin' to enjoy what's left of the weekend. Looks like everybody's gone for the evening already. One more glass and I'm turning in. Anybody still here?

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I'm about to turn in. My eyes are scratchy and I feel like I've inhaled a ton on dust. I can't wait for winter when this f'in grass dies and I don't have to mess with it for a few months.

sccloser

Reaction score
I quit fertilizing my lawn about two years ago and it has saved me a lot of mowing. And it still looks decent.

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
I had to go out today and replace the mailbox my daughter took out in her little accident last night, then I had to go get my dad's John Deere mower and cut our grass because our mower hasn't worked all summer. I played for an hour or so this evening and then got out the tequila. I can feel Monday creeping up on me and I don't think Sunday is going to be long enough to recuperate. Tryin' to enjoy what's left of the weekend. Looks like everybody's gone for the evening already. One more glass and I'm turning in. Anybody still here?

Sorry Alan. Kids = work!

I have a 19 girl and and a 20 year old son, and in some respects they are more work now then when the were younger. I hate that "Monday is creeping up on me" feeling too my friend. Especially when it comes on a Saturday night. It seems like sometimes I spend the majority of my free time taking care of things that others benefit from more than I do, when I just want to spend some quality "Scott time" to get my head right.

I guess it is what it is.....hang in man! Have a good night and sleep well.

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

MM54

Reaction score
I got mine for under $200, in 'working condition.' It needed a little work to be 'fully functional' but it did indeed work as-is when it arrived (just not very well :lol:)

MartyStrat54

Reaction score

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, anybody out there?????

I lost the first 707, it jumped to $225.00 in a hurry. There is one that needs repair coming up in a bit. I am confident that I can get it working again. How much do you thing it's worth????

B&K Dyna-Jet 707 Dynamic Mutual Conductance Tube Tester - eBay (item 290597058697 end time Aug-14-11 18:13:07 PDT)

I got mine for free, so I'm not sure what a fair price is. :naughty:

The needle wiggle that he's talking about could be the 200mF electrolytic on the meter. Mine was vibrating like a tuning fork until I replaced that. The two #55 ALV bulbs are in bayonet sockets and their connection isn't great. That can cause the meter to fluctuate and for test scores to be impossible to repeat until they are soldered in place. If the meter and all the pots are good, it shouldn't take a great deal to get it going again. I bought a SS replacement rectifier on eBay for under $20. The other tube is a 6BN8. Mine already had a spare inside the case. I've got to get a True RMS multimeter to finish setting mine up. The page I gave you the link to has many more calibration tests than the B&K calibration sheet I found.

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
Win it? Yes, no?:hmm::hmm:

Hey Marty,

I lost the first one. Someone out sniped me in the final seconds. But the one in that link closes in about 3 hours. My concern is that he says,

"THIS IS IN FAIRLY GOOD LOOKING CONDITION. EXCEPT SOME SCUFFS AND SCRAPES MOSTLY ON THE BOTTOM OF THE CASE. PLUGGED IT IN AND IT TURNS ON BUT WHEN I TRIED TO TEST A TUBE THE METER STARTS TO GO UP THE SCALE BUT WIGGLES BACK AND FORTH AS IT GOES. SO I FIGURE AT THE VERY LEAST IT NEEDS A NEW RECTIFIER TUBE INSTALLED. IT MAY NEED MORE. SOLD AS-IS.. NEEDS REPAIR.."

I am sure I could get it working again, they dont seem that complex (just the spaghetti factor) I'm just not sure how high to bid on a tester that I am going to have to work on? There is a completely referbed version for $399.00, so I am guessing I should stop at 150.00 for something that needs work.

What do you think????

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
I got mine for free, so I'm not sure what a fair price is. :naughty:

The needle wiggle that he's talking about could be the 200mF electrolytic on the meter. Mine was vibrating like a tuning fork until I replaced that. The two #55 ALV bulbs are in bayonet sockets and their connection isn't great. That can cause the meter to fluctuate and for test scores to be impossible to repeat until they are soldered in place. If the meter and all the pots are good, it shouldn't take a great deal to get it going again. I bought a SS replacement rectifier on eBay for under $20. The other tube is a 6BN8. Mine already had a spare inside the case. I've got to get a True RMS multimeter to finish setting mine up. The page I gave you the link to has many more calibration tests than the B&K calibration sheet I found.

Thanks Alan,

I figured it would be a simple fix. Again, I am just not sure on how high to bid? I have no frame of reference on these. How often do they come up, how much they sell for etc???

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
As long as the meter works well and all the rotary switches are turning it should be worth $150. The test switch bank is a little touchy. I cleaned mine with a lubricating contact cleaner BEFORE I learned that you aren't supposed to do that. Control D was frozen on mine as well which is strange because that's the control you have to rotate to test for shorts. It took most of a can of cleaner to get it moving again. Use a residue-free cleaner on everything but the rotary switches and you won't make the same mistake I made. You're gonna do 90% of your tests on sockets 8 and 29 so plan on getting at least one nine-pin and one octal socket saver.