Preamp Tubes? - Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How?

• Thread starter joshuaaewallen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you guys get this more than I do, but how many people tell you "wow, you work on tube amps", or "wow, you did you own brake job?" It seems the days of working on your own stuff are all but dead and gone?

It seems like every time we have a new vehicle, I have to buy some new gadget to to a brake job on it. I can't afford to pay someone $200 for a job I can do for $20 in parts.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, question for you pre amp tube experts. I'm still looking at tubes in my area, but I think they're on harger drugs than the people from Ebay.
I'm not sure if its too much or what, which is why I want to check with you guys.

I checked these:

*GE 12AX7 NOS - U$ 125*
12ax7 Rca Nos - U$S 125,00 en MercadoLibre

*RCA 12AX7 NOS U$ 140*
Válvula Electrónica, Vacuum Tube 12ax7 / Ecc83 Rca Nos ! - U$S 140,00 en MercadoLibre

*GE 12AX7 NOS U$ 80*
12ax7 General Electric Nos - U$S 80,00 en MercadoLibre

I made them offers (for MUCH less), but still awaiting response, but so far.. your thoughts?

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
It seems like every time we have a new vehicle, I have to buy some new gadget to to a brake job on it. I can't afford to pay someone $200 for a job I can do for $20 in parts.

Yep. I saved my self $275.00 last week doing a brake job. And I installed new rotors instead of resurfacing and got semi metallic pads.

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
Hey, question for you pre amp tube experts. I'm still looking at tubes in my area, but I think they're on harger drugs than the people from Ebay.
I'm not sure if its too much or what, which is why I want to check with you guys.

I checked these:

*GE 12AX7 NOS - U$ 125*
12ax7 Rca Nos - U$S 125,00 en MercadoLibre

*RCA 12AX7 NOS U$ 140*
Válvula Electrónica, Vacuum Tube 12ax7 / Ecc83 Rca Nos ! - U$S 140,00 en MercadoLibre

*GE 12AX7 NOS U$ 80*
12ax7 General Electric Nos - U$S 80,00 en MercadoLibre

I made them offers (for MUCH less), but still awaiting response, but so far.. your thoughts?

Hey SD,

Yes, those prices seem highly inflated. Even above what you might call "retail" for these.

Have you looked on ebay yet? I would expect to pay between $12.00 and $30.00 each for any one of these.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey SD,

Yes, those prices seem highly inflated. Even above what you might call "retail" for these.

Have you looked on ebay yet? I would expect to pay between $12.00 and $30.00 each for any one of these.

Yeah, I'm comparing prices between Ebay and 'Mercadolibre'.
I offered $180 pesos which is approx U$45 in the Argentine site. I want to see if I can get any deals from people in my area before I order overseas. I do keep in mind that the tubes they're selling here were shipped, so I can't really offer a price range you see in Ebay. I think U$45 is decent. If they won't take less than U$60 (or somewhere in that range), I'll go to Ebay.

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm comparing prices between Ebay and 'Mercadolibre'.
I offered $180 pesos which is approx U$45 in the Argentine site. I want to see if I can get any deals from people in my area before I order overseas. I do keep in mind that the tubes they're selling here were shipped, so I can't really offer a price range you see in Ebay. I think U$45 is decent. If they won't take less than U$60 (or somewhere in that range), I'll go to Ebay.

Sounds like a good plan. $45 to $60 with shipping is not a bad deal.

Have you checked with Marty to see if he cant send you a tone pack? I dont know if Marty ships outside of the country or not?

sccloser

Reaction score
Just imagine if people had to put their computers and monitors all together at their homes?

On a ending note: There is a lot of people who put amp kits together.

My friends and I used to put our own computers together in the 90's. Was cheaper and you could get whatever brand parts you wanted.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, from my previous post about the pre amp tubes that are way too inflated I got responses on all 3 saying no. Not even willing to negotiate, just straight up "No thanks".

Fuck these guys, I think I'm gonna have to look into bringing them over seas...

MM54

Reaction score
Even with international shipping you should be able to get them a lot cheaper than those prices :eek2:

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
My friends and I used to put our own computers together in the 90's. Was cheaper and you could get whatever brand parts you wanted.

I've never bought a pre-assembled PC. I always build from components except with Mac's and laptops. That's still not the same as assembling a kit project, though. The tube amp kit analogy works better.

sccloser

Reaction score
Yeah, but...no one really builds their own computers much anymore, and the shops that built custom ones are mostly out of business these days because you can by the pre-assembled ones so much cheaper now. Heck, you can buy a new updated machine with a warranty for about the same or less as the bench fee and replacement parts to fix a broken used computer.

Several years ago my buddy who had a computer shop used to swap me new ram chips that were double the size of mine because he had customers that needed replacements that were no longer manufactured and then cost twice as much! Tech changes so fast and things become obsolete in a matter of months makes parts for the older machines scarce. Weird...

sccloser

Reaction score
I was just using that as an example of how we used to build our own (or assemble our own).

I use to make my own ammo for years as well. But, when a lot of surplus ammo came on the market really cheap back in the early 2000's, I quit loading a lot of calibers because it became more cost effective to just buy loaded ammo. All that has changed now, however. Ammo is EX-pen-SIVE!

I used to a 150 rounds at a match 5 or 6 years ago at a cost of about $12.50...these days it would cost about $60 or more for the same ammo if you could get it.

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
I was just using that as an example of how we used to build our own (or assemble our own).

I use to make my own ammo for years as well. But, when a lot of surplus ammo came on the market really cheap back in the early 2000's, I quit loading a lot of calibers because it became more cost effective to just buy loaded ammo. All that has changed now, however. Ammo is EX-pen-SIVE!

I used to a 150 rounds at a match 5 or 6 years ago at a cost of about $12.50...these days it would cost about $60 or more for the same ammo if you could get it.

It's crazy out there, it's getting a bit better, but still nuts! I just got a box of 250 rounds for $40.00 at a garage sale. I felt like I had git a gold mine!

Two years or so a go, I could not even buy a box of 9mm, any where!

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I picked up a pair of those silver plate Ei ECC83's that were all over eBay a month or so ago. I was expecting a really bright tube, but they are actually pretty dark sounding and great in a Marshall.

Anybody tried the Telefunken phase inverter thing we were talking about a few pages back? I put a smooth plate in tonight and it wasn't bad at all. It gave the amp a little more bite and there's just something a Tele does to the pick attack that I love which comes through even in the PI slot. A lot of people say the PI doesn't affect the tone, but if you don't have a good PI tube the amp isn't going to sound right.

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
Hey Alan,

I have a Tele ribbed plate in the PI slot on my 6100. I spent some time with a tech named Brian Sours recently, and he recommended trying them out.

It gives the PI a bit of "hair" that I like quite a bit. And you are right, a tele has great emphasis on the pick attack. They are a bit too much for V1 or V2 in the 6100 though.

The PI makes a huge difference in the over all tone and character of an amp.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Yes, the PI tube should never be overlooked. It plays a part in the total overall tone and balls. Yeah, that EBAY Tube Guru said to run the Tele's in the PI. Most people do not have the luxury of having a spare Tele to try this. I may have to give it a go. I'm all about having the best PI tube I can get.

Latest posts