Preamp Tubes? - Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How?

• Thread starter joshuaaewallen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Holy Cow! SolarBurn has a new avatar and it is a scorcher. Makes me feel like I'm living back in Phoenix. That's what the sun looks like there in the summer time. I need something cool to drink.:cheers:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy Cow! SolarBurn has a new avatar and it is a scorcher. Makes me feel like I'm living back in Phoenix. That's what the sun looks like there in the summer time. I need something cool to drink.:cheers:

I need more sun working the graveyard shift.

Hope no one gets sunburned hehe.:naughty:

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Sonotone info:

By the 1950's Sonotone was making over 400 different tubes. They were popular receiving tubes ranging all the way from 0Z4 to 7199's. They also sold European EL, EM, EZ etc. In addition, there were special purpose tubes made for the Signal Corps at Ft. Monmouth, New Jersey. The automated tube manufacturing equipment was located at the Elmsford factory. The progressive line was circular, about 20 feet in diameter. There were many gas jets at each step to heat the glass and shape it. It was very impressive to watch. Some of the tubes were made by other manufacturers with the Sonotone name on them. Some were made by Telefunken, Mullard and Amperex. An economy line was later introduced with tubes made in Japan and were sold in green boxes. By the mid-sixties, tube sales decreased with the advancement of transistors. The tube manufacturing equipment was sold, and hearing aid production was moved from Main Street in White Plains, a few miles away, to the Elmsford plant.

I just did some extensive researching and the only side getter that I can find by RCA is a "Clear Top" 12AU7. Have you seen or heard of RCA 12AX7A's with a side getter? If so, they must be rare. I don't see any side getters by Amperex, Mullard or Telefunken. Sonotone made their own tubes, so these could be original, side getter Sonotone's.

zimske

Reaction score
finally on the internet after a couple of days, so guys thanks for the IDing of my tubes. looks like a fine beginner's collection, two tungsrams and one rca 7025.

the joys of rolling ensue.

[how much could i price these three in case i decide to let them go so i can get me some 5751's?]

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
finally on the internet after a couple of days, so guys thanks for the IDing of my tubes. looks like a fine beginner's collection, two tungsrams and one rca 7025.

the joys of rolling ensue.

[how much could i price these three in case i decide to let them go so i can get me some 5751's?]

The Tungsrams are high quality tubes, but they are not commanding very high prices. I believe if you go back a few pages, RATT posted how he sold some on EBAY and he didn't make much off of them at all.

My advice is to keep them and use them.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, something tells me you could get mighty pale working that late shift. Have you ever considered a tanning salon? SOLARBURN in a tanning salon. :lol::lol::lol:

Massage parlor yes.:dude: Tanning bed? Nah. I'd sit in the lobby and hottie watch though...:naughty:

zimske

Reaction score
The Tungsrams are high quality tubes, but they are not commanding very high prices. I believe if you go back a few pages, RATT posted how he sold some on EBAY and he didn't make much off of them at all.

My advice is to keep them and use them.

yeah, probably will do just that.

which of these are "darker" tungsrams or 7025's?

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Massage parlor yes.:dude: Tanning bed? Nah. I'd sit in the lobby and hottie watch though...:naughty:

Well I know that you have been over to the Noobs thread and I know you saw that huge thing that was posted. Well, sitting at a tanning salon, that's what you would see. Maybe 10 per cent of their business is some hotties. 90 per cent is huge, massive women that the tanning beds cannot contain...so they do one half at a time. Yummy!

This post has nothing to do with tubes and may be in conflict with the thoughts of the Preamp Tube Administration, or PTA.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
yeah, probably will do just that.

which of these are "darker" tungsrams or 7025's?

The RCA 7025 is a cleaner, tighter sounding tube IMO. The Tungsrams have somewhat of a Mullard sound. They tend to breakup when driven hard. I wouldn't say they are a dark tube.

Maybe RATT can pipe in on this since he ran some in his amp.

racko7566

Reaction score
Cant wait till my tubes get here from Marty, I'm looking forward to joining in on the rolling tubes and joining in discussions. I got an Amperex and a Raytheon blackplate for v1 and v2. Does anyone else have these in v1 and v2? And if so what do you think of this combination?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cant wait till my tubes get here from Marty, I'm looking forward to joining in on the rolling tubes and joining in discussions. I got an Amperex and a Raytheon blackplate for v1 and v2. Does anyone else have these in v1 and v2? And if so what do you think of this combination?

What amp are you putting them in?

Those are great tubes. I haven't ran them in that combination. BP's work well in my DSL. Very nice.

racko7566

Reaction score
Well, my tubes are in from Marty. So guess what ill be doing for the rest of the night :)
2 quick questions for you guys, Do I have to line up the spot thats missing a pin in the same spot that was blank? And do you rebias after pre amp changes? thanx, Racko

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my tubes are in from Marty. So guess what ill be doing for the rest of the night :)
2 quick questions for you guys, Do I have to line up the spot thats missing a pin in the same spot that was blank? And do you rebias after pre amp changes? thanx, Racko

Yes. Its the only way it will fit in. No biasing of preamps. Only power tubes.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Work them preamp tubes in carefully. Don't be ham fisted hehe.

racko7566

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if changes in curcuit would effect power end. Thanks Solar. I just looked directly at you, now im blind!!! yet still typing LOL

Latest posts