Preamp Tubes? - Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How?

• Thread starter joshuaaewallen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
There were only two 6L6's. They definetely have black plates. The third tube is a 5U4GB and it also has black plates.

If there is any value to the AU7's I will grab them.

I still can not believe the difference with the vintage tubes in my amp. It's amazing. The amp is so smooth and responsive it is pleasure playing now.

Well the truth is, you don't want to throw away "any" good tube. They are easy to store and you can always sell them for something. The 5U4 is not worth much, but I would hold on to it. I have many NIB 5U4 Black Plates and I won't sell them, as the market is soft. Now the 6L6 Black Plates, if you don't have a need for them, I would suggest you test them and list them on EBAY. Now is a good time to do so. Black Plate anything is selling hot on EBAY right now (except 5U4's).

What tube did you settle on in V1?

wegman

Reaction score
Not far frome the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field
What tube did you settle on in V1?

I am using a black plate Baldwin which according to you guys is a Raytheon.

It seems to have the best response and tone though it is close between the black plate and the regular Baldwin tubes which some one mentioned is probably an RCA. The funny thing is the tubes labeled RCA I don't like as much in V1.

I notice a change in tone and dynamics whenever I change a tube in position. I really notice a change in dynamics when the PI tube is changed. I had a GT in there and when I went to the vintage the whole dynamic changed. Tone as well.

Is that normal?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am using a black plate Baldwin which according to you guys is a Raytheon.

It seems to have the best response and tone though it is close between the black plate and the regular Baldwin tubes which some one mentioned is probably an RCA. The funny thing is the tubes labeled RCA I don't like as much in V1.

I notice a change in tone and dynamics whenever I change a tube in position. I really notice a change in dynamics when the PI tube is changed. I had a GT in there and when I went to the vintage the whole dynamic changed. Tone as well.

Is that normal?

I luv the Raytheon BP in mine. I have it in V2 but like it in V1 as well. In fact V1 and V2 with BP's sound killa! Right now I have a Mullard CV4024 AT7 in V1, BP in V2, RCA in V3 and a RFT in the PI.

Marty's shak'n his head cause I got that AT7 in V1 again hehe.

What NOS did you use for your PI slot?

wegman

Reaction score
I luv the Raytheon BP in mine. I have it in V2 but like it in V1 as well. In fact V1 and V2 with BP's sound killa! Right now I have a Mullard CV4024 AT7 in V1, BP in V2, RCA in V3 and a RFT in the PI.

Marty's shak'n his head cause I got that AT7 in V1 again hehe.

What NOS did you use for your PI slot?

I tried a RCA and that seems to work pretty well. I still have not tried a GE anywhere. Haven't gotten that far yet.

One thing kind of strange. It seems that any tube that goes in V1 is microphonic. If I tap on it you can definetly hear it.

I wonder what that is all about.

Do you purchase your tubes or have you found some or both? I just can't in good concience pay what they are asking for NOS tubes. I have to scrounge for them.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried a RCA and that seems to work pretty well. I still have not tried a GE anywhere. Haven't gotten that far yet.

One thing kind of strange. It seems that any tube that goes in V1 is microphonic. If I tap on it you can definetly hear it.

I wonder what that is all about.

Do you purchase your tubes or have you found some or both? I just can't in good concience pay what they are asking for NOS tubes. I have to scrounge for them.

I buy them. Mostly from Marty. He didn't have any RFT's so I got them from a Tube broker online. Usually preamp tubes cost me $45 and under each. Some have been $25 to $30 so I am getting into NOS pretty cheap. Especially if looking at tube brokers online. Some of the tubes I have go for way more. Besides all mine are tested so I know what I'm getting.

All tubes are microphonic. Some are worse than others and that translates into ringing, humming or tapping on them and hearing them that way. How are yours sounding at volume? Hear any ringing or other noise you can't account for?

wegman

Reaction score
I buy them. Mostly from Marty. He didn't have any RFT's so I got them from a Tube broker online. Usually preamp tubes cost me $45 and under each. Some have been $25 to $30 so I am getting into NOS pretty cheap. Especially if looking at tube brokers online. Some of the tubes I have go for way more. Besides all mine are tested so I know what I'm getting.

All tubes are microphonic. Some are worse than others and that translates into ringing, humming or tapping on them and hearing them that way. How are yours sounding at volume? Hear any ringing or other noise you can't account for?

There is no way I can crank the amp but at the volume I am playing there are no problems. I just though it was odd.

Yea there is no way I can drop that kind of coin. My wife would never go for that. She thinks I am mental for raiding old organs. The search for tone is a lonely one. :D

So how many tubes do you have?

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Does an RF shield go over your V1? If not, they sell silicone O-rings that you roll on the tube and it will help slightly microphonic tubes. I can't understand why all of the tubes are microphonic in V1, unless they are all original tubes and well used. Only way to find out is to test them in a tube tester and in an amp. A tester can't detect a microphonic tube. You have to run them in an amp.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no way I can crank the amp but at the volume I am playing there are no problems. I just though it was odd.

Yea there is no way I can drop that kind of coin. My wife would never go for that. She thinks I am mental for raiding old organs. The search for tone is a lonely one. :D

So how many tubes do you have?

Hahahaha! I have to pace myself too. I buy 1 or 2 on my good pay day. Marty treated me to my first 4 NOS ever...FREE! He knew what he was do'n hehe. Yeah...I got hooked!:Ohno::eek2::D

So I just hook up with him when I'm ready and we do the deal. I trust him. There is no way I could afford them all at once. I think I probably have about 15 NOS preamp tubes now. Also about 3 pairs of NOS power tubes. One set of EL34 RFT's(killa price from Marty)and 2 sets of EL84's 1 being RFT's(paid $70 online)and the other some Russian made(free from Marty). All the NOS power tubes sound great. They get expensive though online.:wow:

I'm sure its way more fun scoring them out of old organs and such. Its paid off great for you. Your wife should be very happy about that if she knew how much these tubes can go for.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
2000th POST goes to WEGMAN!!! Good job guys. A killa thread that shows up all the others. Can't wait to get Josh back.
:cheers::jam::jam::jam::cheers::eek2::p:eek2:

wegman

Reaction score
Does an RF shield go over your V1? If not, they sell silicone O-rings that you roll on the tube and it will help slightly microphonic tubes. I can't understand why all of the tubes are microphonic in V1, unless they are all original tubes and well used. Only way to find out is to test them in a tube tester and in an amp. A tester can't detect a microphonic tube. You have to run them in an amp.

Hey Marty.

Yes the RF shield will go over the tube. I didn't have it installed because I am rolling tubes. The black plate was the most microphonic. I thought that was odd. I have another one that I can try. I'll see if that one reacts the same way.

I posted a picture of the 6L6s I lifted over on the power tube thread. It's a half way decent pic. Overlook the coco puff crumb.

How many tubes do you have Marty?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A round for everyone!

Then one for Josh for getting us started!

:cheers:

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Hey, it was either Joe or Wegman. You guys kept posting and I was trying to back count posts. Anyway, I gave it to Wegman. You get a six pack of cyber beer and I'll dance in a hula skirt for you.:wtf:

2000th post. Yeah, it's a big deal.

26,575 Views. That's a boatload of activity. My hat is off to all of you that make this thread a winner.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

wegman

Reaction score
Hahahaha! I have to pace myself too. I buy 1 or 2 on my good pay day. Marty treated me to my first 4 NOS ever...FREE! He knew what he was do'n hehe. Yeah...I got hooked!:Ohno::eek2::D

So I just hook up with him when I'm ready and we do the deal. I trust him. There is no way I could afford them all at once. I think I probably have about 15 NOS preamp tubes now. Also about 3 pairs of NOS power tubes. One set of EL34 RFT's(killa price from Marty)and 2 sets of EL84's 1 being RFT's(paid $70 online)and the other some Russian made(free from Marty). All the NOS power tubes sound great. They get expensive though online.:wow:

I'm sure its way more fun scoring them out of old organs and such. Its paid off great for you. Your wife should be very happy about that if she knew how much these tubes can go for.

My wife just thinks I am nuts. It's that simple. The dude I work with was really nice. He told me about the organ, he actually went and got it, tore the back off it for me and told me to go raid it. It cost me a six pack of Bud light.

I have to thank you guys again. It was this thread that educated me on all this. I mean I went from crappy tone to killer tone in couple weeks upon reading this thread. Anybody playing CP tubes the difference between CP and vintage is night and day.

Yes, I am going to be looking for power tubes next. EL34s are alot harder to come by I understand. I mean to find them.

wegman

Reaction score
Hey, it was either Joe or Wegman. You guys kept posting and I was trying to back count posts. Anyway, I gave it to Wegman. You get a six pack of cyber beer and I'll dance in a hula skirt for you.:wtf:

2000th post. Yeah, it's a big deal.

26,575 Views. That's a boatload of activity. My hat is off to all of you that make this thread a winner.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

2000th posts. Pretty damn cool. The Hula skirt dance tops all!

Paramedic006

Reaction score
I play mostly old school rock. I play a Deluxe Strat with SCN's and S1 and a Standard Strat with HSS, SD Saraceno at bridge and 2 stock Standard pu's thru a DSL100 and 1960A cab. Doing a valve change cuz I just bought the amp.. It's got SED Wings in it and generic preamps. Also, help on the bias settings. I know 90 is recommended by Marshall but I was thinking somewhere around 82 or 83. I have no problems doing the bias, I just need advice. I don't need early breakup or fancy Shakesperean explanations of gold pins, balanced phase inverter valves, I just want my DSL to sound like a Marshall. I mean hell, that's why I bought it. Help me out brothers. I trust ya.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play mostly old school rock. I play a Deluxe Strat with SCN's and S1 and a Standard Strat with HSS, SD Saraceno at bridge and 2 stock Standard pu's thru a DSL100 and 1960A cab. Doing a valve change cuz I just bought the amp.. It's got SED Wings in it and generic preamps. Also, help on the bias settings. I know 90 is recommended by Marshall but I was thinking somewhere around 82 or 83. I have no problems doing the bias, I just need advice. I don't need early breakup or fancy Shakesperean explanations of gold pins, balanced phase inverter valves, I just want my DSL to sound like a Marshall. I mean hell, that's why I bought it. Help me out brothers. I trust ya.

Gold pins don't do shit for the tone. A balanced PI is for HIFI amps not guitar amps.

Do you know how to get your plate voltage number so you can set the bias or are you just shooting for a good neighborhood? I'd say 80 to 83mv is fine.

Winged =C='s are good tubes IMO. Reliable. Sound perty good. I prefer others.

Do you want NOS preamp tubes or CP? Maybe a combination?

racko7566

Reaction score
I know what you mean Wegman, I got some NOS tubes off Marty and mixed with one I got off e-bay and its such a difference in sound but mostly feel to me. What I love is the sound of the rca 12ax7a with orange writing mixed with the Raytheon bp I got of Marty. I never had a combonation of tubes that react this way. No matter what open string I hit and let ring... it feeds back slowly and perfectly in pitch with the original struck note. Thanks for all the info guys, you got me hooked:dude:. Special thanks to Marty and Solar, for answering my dumb questions.

Racko

Latest posts