Preamp Tubes? - Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How?

• Thread starter joshuaaewallen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
There were about fifteen or so tube companies in England and Europe and they all were under the control of Philips. This is why they look and sound very much alike. Philips actually did all the design work and then they would say, "Here Mullard...make these." "Amperex, make about 30,000 of this design for us."

I just bought a bunch of Electrohome 12AX7's. These are Canadian Philips and sound ever bit as good as an Amperex. These have the classic pinched top as well.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a bit of a report on the Tele's I've been roll'n. My line up:
V1-Tele's Smooth or Ribbed for her pleasure
V2-Raytheon BP
V3-RCA (12AX7A)
PI-RFT

I was looking at input from guyz who use the Tele's in their amps and alot of them were "Audiophiles" using them in HIFI amps. I'm using a guitar amp. Their descriptions of what the Tele's sound like are in a HIFI environment. What I found differs from most of their descriptions on what a Tele sounds like in my amp. However there were some similarities here and there.

My rolling depicts what they sound like with my whole tube line up including the power tubes. Guitar is an HSS strat into 412 of Greenbacks.

Smooth Telefunkens:

Open sounding, mellow or a bit smooth with clarity and articulation. I hear all strings when chording and single notes while soloing bloom into being and are very upfront in the mix whether on the crunch channel or on the gain channel. Very nice harmonic overtones that will break into musical feedback readily. The lows are warm, round and clear, mids seem balanced and the highs are clear & and not harsh. I think the Telefunken accentuates the chewiness of the BP when soloing the higher registers due to their transparency.

These have added more dynamics to my picking and I really feel the playing. Bends sustain and I can hold a note or dump it quickly, the response is fast. The amp cleans up very well with these in V1. The neck pup is all women tones. Warm, fat and articulate. This is a panty dropper or a pasty twirler . The bridge pup is full, open and round and sings.

Ribbed Telefunken:

Everything is generally the same. Dynamics, response, clarity, articulation etc...The only difference that I can sense is the ribbed are a little more trebley or toppy. Not harsh though! I think they have just a bit of a bite where the smooth are just mellower sounding.

What I really love about the Tele's is the dynamic feel of how I play. Picking changes from hard to soft, notes being held to sing or mute and you hear all these. Finger pressure on the strings from man handling them to playing soft open chords, picking each string. I hear every thing I do when I invoke those hard and soft dynamics.

This is my opinion but I feel my amp has gone up another notch in feel and tone since I've put the 6CA7EH's, Raytheon BP back in and now the Telefunken in V1. For hot rodded blues, rock and hardrock this tube pack bangs! This with midgain southern rock stuff gives me a "rock" boner.

So in closing I can't recommend Telefunken 12AX7's/ECC83's due to there being a shortage from me buying all of them.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Wow! I don't think anybody has ever gotten a toob boner before. Thanks a lot for the Tele lowdown Mr. Sunshine. Goodness, all that talk about panties and twirly thing-a-ma-chigs. Incredible!

TELEFUNKEN MADNESS IS SWEEPING THE THREAD!

racko7566

Reaction score
You know what guys? FUNK off cause I'm still in love with little raytheona, and I dont cheat. ( she's listening shushhh....) but seriously, when she leaves I'll be callin someone for some Tele's too....:naughty:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what guys? FUNK off cause I'm still in love with little raytheona, and I dont cheat. ( she's listening shushhh....) but seriously, when she leaves I'll be callin someone for some Tele's too....:naughty:

Luv the Raytheon BP. The 2 togezer zey danze so vell...:naughty:

wegman

Reaction score
Not far frome the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field
Luv the Raytheon BP. The 2 togezer zey danze so vell...:naughty:

Yes the Raytheon BP's kick it old school. I am running two of them (one in V2 and one in the PI) and they really smooth things out yet provide that oomph.

From what I have been reading I need to get infected by "Telefunken Fever" but I am pretty happy with the Raytheon BP's

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the Raytheon BP's kick it old school. I am running two of them (one in V2 and one in the PI) and they really smooth things out yet provide that oomph.

From what I have been reading I need to get infected by "Telefunken Fever" but I am pretty happy with the Raytheon BP's

Sounds to me like you got a great sound go'n already. Those Bp's deliver the meaty mids. I would like to have a small collection of them...

movo

Reaction score
It seems that you guys prefer different makes of tubes instead of 3 matched ones. Is it because it will generate a special sound or something? Or do I have to spit these 83 pages about preamp tubes to find out.. :Ohno:

I think I'm going to buy some NOS preamp tubes for my JCM800 Superbass lately :)

Procter2812

Reaction score
Probably be best to get a refund, because if it has a problem, it will just get worse. If the seller offers a return, go for it and find yourself a good Telefunken. You'll be happier in the long run.

I just sent a bunch to Solar (Joe) and he went nuts over those damn Tele's.

The guy was cool about it :)
He sending me another Telefunken.

Iv spent a bomb this week... bought 2 new speakers, a big muff pi, 2 NOS valves:naughty: Need to get more shifts at work:lol:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems that you guys prefer different makes of tubes instead of 3 matched ones. Is it because it will generate a special sound or something? Or do I have to spit these 83 pages about preamp tubes to find out.. :Ohno:

I think I'm going to buy some NOS preamp tubes for my JCM800 Superbass lately :)

Yes, each tube has its own character regarding gain factor and lows-mids-highs.

We are mixing them for specific results. Its more simple than it looks.

For example I have 4 preamp tubes. V1 & V2 are going to be my more dominant tone/gain contributers where V3 and the PI will not be as much. So I focus on the first 2 preamp slots for building most of the tone/gain characteristics I want. I put a known well rounded tube in V3 and V4(PI).

The PI slot can add some variation too so rolling that one with different tubes can help the overall tone.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I dug out some of my stuff that hasn't been in the rotation for awhile last night. An RFT in V1 and the Raytheon BP in V2 was a killer combintation for belting out some classic rock. I don't think I'd paired these two up yet. They were noticeably darker and thicker, with really interesting harmonics from the RFT. There was a harmonic 5th that would get more noticeable as the chord sustained. It's the only tube I have that had that quality. Not as articulate as the Tele, but still a great sound. I may have to leave this setup alone for awhile.

metra2002

Reaction score
Love these pics! I just love tubes/valves. The way they look, the way they sound... They are just too cool. I confess I am a tube gear-head. Can't help it.

Alex
metra2002

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dug out some of my stuff that hasn't been in the rotation for awhile last night. An RFT in V1 and the Raytheon BP in V2 was a killer combintation for belting out some classic rock. I don't think I'd paired these two up yet. They were noticeably darker and thicker, with really interesting harmonics from the RFT. There was a harmonic 5th that would get more noticeable as the chord sustained. It's the only tube I have that had that quality. Not as articulate as the Tele, but still a great sound. I may have to leave this setup alone for awhile.

That sounds good. I love to hang around those classic overdriven rock sounds.

You know I like the RFT's and they seem to make it back into my rotations as well. I have tried the same combo but not with the 6CA7's yet. You say'n that makes me want to try it again.:hmm:

I seem to like the RFT's in V1 mostly and then pairing them up with other tubes in V2. In fact my favs now are the RFT's(V1), Raytheon BP's(V2) and now the Telefunkens(V1) in the DSL. Gonna have to try some Tele's in the Night Train soon too.

I don't think I've had another preamp tube that articulates like the Telefunken does.:wow:

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Jeez, it's going to be a day or two before I can hear again. I just spent 3 hours at a high school football playoff game sitting next to this cowbellbitch, her airhorn-toting husband, and her fat loud son who yelled "GOOOOOO TIIIIIIGGGGGEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSS" every time he could catch his breath. And I thought my Marshall was loud. I'm not kidding. My left ear feels like I just played 3 sets in a little bar with a big amp. Thank God we lost.