Preamp Tubes? - Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How?

• Thread starter joshuaaewallen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
So far my RFT's and Mullard AT7 flash. Thought there was one more but I can't put my finger on it now...:hmm:

My Mullard AT7 CV4004 flashes so bright that it lights the other tubes. You have a RFT that flashes? Mine won't. Does yours look like this one?

rft.jpg

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I've got a bid in on some. We'll see what happens. And you say they flash, too. That's interesting. I found out awhile ago that Ei tubes will flash. Maybe we should keep a list. "Tubes that Flash". I wonder why the Telefunken won't?

How about because Philips didn't own them. A Philips tube will flash, so this is about 15 brands made in England, Europe and the USA. And yes, I have certain tubes that look like a railroad flare going off. You could read the paper with the light they put off. Some just barely glow. However, they all sound great.

I like that though. A list of all the tubes that glow.

1.Mullard
2.Amperex
3.Miniwatt
4.Valvo
5.Ei
6.BEL
7.Mazda
8.Lorenz
9.Raytheon Slant Getter (Valvo)

I don't know much about the five or six other W. German tube companies and whether they had any Philips influence. RFT, Tesla and Tungsram??? Three or four other Japanese companies that made copies of Mullards and Philips???

Add yours to the list.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Philips didn't own Telefunken? I assumed they did, since they are listed in the Philips code book. Mainly though, I was wondering why the Ei flashed the Tele didn't, since Ei was supposed to be a Tele copy.

I might be wrong, that's why I am looking for additional feedback. Philips could have acquired interest in Telefunken "after" WWII. American tube lore is difficult enough and then you try and take on what happened in other countries. It's tough. If Philips had interest in Telefunken, I wonders about the four or five other W. German tube makers. Were they supported by Philips? And like I say, what about the Japanese tube makers. There were at least five major companies. Who was behind them? Well I know that Philips was behind two of them. Did they use existing designs or different ones. Tesla was labeling their tubes as RCA into the 80's. I've never run across any of these, but they're out there. Who else was supplying tubes to the USA and relabeling their tubes. I know the Japanese supplied the USA companies well into the 80's. American tube production basically came to a close in 1988 with the end of Philips ECG.

Hit me with some of your knowledge. I will dig into this a little myself. I'm getting new high speed today. It's going to be twice as fast as what I have now. Yippee!

racko7566

Reaction score
I have to get me one of these for Christmas!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xke4OPpFfas]YouTube - The Tube Roller[/ame]

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I just had a discouraging day of tube chasing. First, the organ I've been trying to hook up with was a bust. I finally got by to check it out... it was a Wurlitzer 4300, one of their first all-transistor offerings. Next, I found a Marshall Lead 12 at an antique mall. Nice little amp, but no tubes. I found a plastic Silvertone amp, labeled as "hi-fi" and not very promising. Even if it had a few useful tubes, it wasn't worth the $75 price. I found plenty of old tube radios, all of them too old to be of use. I also found a pair of Telefunken Hi-Fi speakers, but no hi-fi set to go with them. I finally bought a $25 Crybaby wah pedal just so the day wasn't a total loss, and picked up a nice bottle of chianti on the way home to ease the pain.

wegman

Reaction score
Not far frome the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field
I just had a discouraging day of tube chasing. First, the organ I've been trying to hook up with was a bust. I finally got by to check it out... it was a Wurlitzer 4300, one of their first all-transistor offerings. Next, I found a Marshall Lead 12 at an antique mall. Nice little amp, but no tubes. I found a plastic Silvertone amp, labeled as "hi-fi" and not very promising. Even if it had a few useful tubes, it wasn't worth the $75 price. I found plenty of old tube radios, all of them too old to be of use. I also found a pair of Telefunken Hi-Fi speakers, but no hi-fi set to go with them. I finally bought a $25 Crybaby wah pedal just so the day wasn't a total loss, and picked up a nice bottle of chianti on the way home to ease the pain.

Man that sucks. I was really hoping for you to hit it big on that organ. I am sorry to hear things didn't work out.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Me too, Alan. That sucks! Damn solid state crap. You know that when MacIntosh went solid state, the salesmen knew the SS amps didn't sound as good as their tube models, but they had to make a living...you know. Hell all the hype behind SS had the consumers running out to the stores to frantically buy SS Hi Fi gear. The great old MacIntosh and Marantz tube amps were sold for pennies on the dollar. These amps now bring over ten thousand dollars or more if in very good condition. You know what the SS amps bring that replaced them? Oh, about $225.

I would really like to upgrade my tube Hi Fi system. If you don't remember, what I do to make it really sing is run a SS subwoofer with an electronic crossover to my little 6BQ5 amp. This gives my little amp a lot more headroom and it can get quite loud. However, I would like to get an old Dynaco 70 with EL34's or some other EL34 Hi Fi amp. I love the sound of tube Hi Fi.

Maybe I'll get lucky and stumble on to something good, but each day the clock is ticking. What I don't find, someone else will. All I can say is I hope we all can have some good luck at finding some good tube stuff.

racko7566

Reaction score
I know you experienced tube heads probably already seen this, but for you other newbies like myself, on youtube under the Blackburn story theres a six part original factory tour of the early Mullard tubes being made. about 45 mins. long. very interesting stuff. Check it out.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, I actually did accomplish something this weekend. Three Matsushitas for $14.95 shipped. Marty, I can't see the getter on these, so I don't know if they are exactly like yours or not, but at this price, I can't complain. I can't wait to give these a try!!

realistic.jpg

"These were tested with my US Military TV-10 Tester that was recalibrated in July. Min for this type is 950 on each side of this dual triode type. One tube tested at 1500-1500, #2 tested at 1500-1750.#3 tested at 1500-1250 They had NO gas or shorts."

racko7566

Reaction score
Sorry, here it is.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnvKCC6_VDQ]YouTube - Mullard Valves - The Blackburn Story - Part 1 - Works History[/ame]

wegman

Reaction score
Not far frome the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field
Hey, I actually did accomplish something this weekend. Three Matsushitas for $14.95 shipped. Marty, I can't see the getter on these, so I don't know if they are exactly like yours or not, but at this price, I can't complain. I can't wait to give these a try!!

realistic.jpg

"These were tested with my US Military TV-10 Tester that was recalibrated in July. Min for this type is 950 on each side of this dual triode type. One tube tested at 1500-1500, #2 tested at 1500-1750.#3 tested at 1500-1250 They had NO gas or shorts."

I am glad to hear something worked out. I can't wait to hear how those babies sound.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
These tubes were made by Matsushita for Philips (the parent company of Mullard, Amperex, Valvo, etc...) using Mullard equipment. Some were even sold under the Amperex brand. If they are even in the same league as the other Philips tubes, they should be very nice.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Hey Alan. Sorry for the delay. I got really busy today. Hey your tubes look like round top getters by the way the flashing looks. The slant tops have a very noticeable flash pattern. Regardless, those tube should sound really nice. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. At that price? Hell, "one" at that price would have been good. It just goes to show that I can't be on EBAY all of the time. Great score. Love that Realistic/Radio Shack brand.