PRS appreciation thread

• Thread starter Goosey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vader

Reaction score
[SC][/SC]
I have a 2008/09 PRS Custom 22. It's a 10 top and a beautiful guitar. It's a dream to play however still felt that I needed a LP. My LP just seems so much more powerful, it really needs tamed while the C22 has to really be pushed in order to sound a bit angry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 8

dptone5

Reaction score
[SC][/SC]
I have a 2008/09 PRS Custom 22. It's a 10 top and a beautiful guitar. It's a dream to play however still felt that I needed a LP. My LP just seems so much more powerful, it really needs tamed while the C22 has to really be pushed in order to sound a bit angry.

Totally agree with your assessment. I love my Custom 24, but if it doesn't have some hot pickups, it won't keep up with my LP, Strats or Jackson. Just doesn't seem to have the weight.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
For those of you interested in the PRS SE series, they're re-introducing the SE Standard series. It'll be made in Indonesia, but apparently still are as good as the MiK counterparts. They're basically MiI-made SE's with no maple cap+veneer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QPrY4oQWow

Starting at $499 in the US.

SC245
1417109022-76032500.jpg
1417109505-04262400.jpg
1417109133-00798200.jpg
1417108974-44344400.jpg

Standard 24
1416934696-43324400.jpg
1416934794-42791100.jpg

1416935058-97915800.jpg
1416935232-75685600.jpg

Standard 22
1416927491-81409900.jpg
1416928216-67175600.jpg
1416928632-65270200.jpg
1416928841-12211800.jpg
1416931173-91044000.jpg

TheSunShinesThrough

Reaction score
Nothing against PRS, but if Gibson promises me that they won't add the robot tuners to the 2016 crop of guitar, I will buy a Gibson SG Standard.

Leotis

Reaction score
Of all the guitars I've owned and sold, this is the one I most regret letting go of. At the time, selling it was a necessity though. It's a 2005 Custom 22 with the Artist Package. DAMN, I miss this guitar!!...:( I'd kill to have it back.

noc8dt.jpg

dptone5

Reaction score
It's a 2005 Modern Eagle in slate. The neck pick up is the stock RP but the bridge is a SD custom shop Brobucker, wound to 10k it's more a hot PAF.

That is so sweet. I really had a tough time bonding with PRS pick-ups. My Custom 24 came with 59/09's and I could not get rid of the nasal honk. Tried the HFS/VB set. Same thing.

Right now, I got a DiMarzio Transition in the bridge (hot PAF style) and a 36th Anniversary in the neck. Overall I'm happy with that combination with my Marshalls.

I love the way my PRS plays and I wish it could be my #1, but both my Strats beat it in the tone department.

Why did you change the pups and how would you describe the SD Custom Shop Brobucker?

Thanks man!!

DP

Luvverly Joobly

Reaction score
The reason I swapped the bridge out was because I felt it also had a lot of mid honk, and that it was lacking character with an almost neutral generic tone. Probably ok for a really heavily distorted genre but I play mainly classic/ hard rock and I just never liked it. Generally speaking it's the pick ups in PRS guitars that puts me off but then so do Most of Gibsons pick ups. Enter the Brobucker, at 10k it's an overwound PAF type and with a degaussed A5 magnet gives a full rich sound whilst retaining string definition and clarity. I have this pick up in 4 guitars and whilst it let the natural sound of each come through, they still have that familiarity that I like.... Enough power, clarity and all clean up really nice with the volume knob. I did change the magnet in my LP JP to a full power A5 to see what effect it has and so far I like that too, it doesn't really change the sound but thickens it up enough to make the lead tones sing. Depending on what music style you play I also hear that the SD Seth Lover pick ups are great for lower gain playing and that the SD WLH sets work wonders in PRSi. I am going to get a WLH neck model for this guitar and I'm confident it will end the swapping for this one.
Cheers!

FennRx

Reaction score
That is so sweet. I really had a tough time bonding with PRS pick-ups. My Custom 24 came with 59/09's and I could not get rid of the nasal honk. Tried the HFS/VB set. Same thing.

Right now, I got a DiMarzio Transition in the bridge (hot PAF style) and a 36th Anniversary in the neck. Overall I'm happy with that combination with my Marshalls.

I love the way my PRS plays and I wish it could be my #1, but both my Strats beat it in the tone department.

Why did you change the pups and how would you describe the SD Custom Shop Brobucker?

Thanks man!!

DP

don't go saying that over on the PRS Forum. Those guys worship the 57/08 and 57/09 sets. I think they're both completely generic sounding. And to think PRS charges around $350-400 for a set of them. :lol:

dptone5

Reaction score
The reason I swapped the bridge out was because I felt it also had a lot of mid honk, and that it was lacking character with an almost neutral generic tone. Probably ok for a really heavily distorted genre but I play mainly classic/ hard rock and I just never liked it. Generally speaking it's the pick ups in PRS guitars that puts me off but then so do Most of Gibsons pick ups. Enter the Brobucker, at 10k it's an overwound PAF type and with a degaussed A5 magnet gives a full rich sound whilst retaining string definition and clarity. I have this pick up in 4 guitars and whilst it let the natural sound of each come through, they still have that familiarity that I like.... Enough power, clarity and all clean up really nice with the volume knob. I did change the magnet in my LP JP to a full power A5 to see what effect it has and so far I like that too, it doesn't really change the sound but thickens it up enough to make the lead tones sing. Depending on what music style you play I also hear that the SD Seth Lover pick ups are great for lower gain playing and that the SD WLH sets work wonders in PRSi. I am going to get a WLH neck model for this guitar and I'm confident it will end the swapping for this one.
Cheers!

Thanks for the insight man! I feel the Transition Bridge does the same thing. It is rated at 11.05k. It is a ceramic magnet, but it has a lot of clarity and it's a little darker than most, so it does well in the PRS, which is very light and can also sound thin. If I get tired of the Transition, I will look into the Brobucker.

Glad to hear someone else was hearing what I was hearing. I did get beat up over at the PRS forum over this. :lol:

DP

dptone5

Reaction score
don't go saying that over on the PRS Forum. Those guys worship the 57/08 and 57/09 sets. I think they're both completely generic sounding. And to think PRS charges around $350-400 for a set of them. :lol:

You got that right. One guy ranted many paragraphs about how my ears must not be right, that I don't know how to record, that I must be an idiot and can't dial in a Marshall Plexi, etc.. :ugh:

The $79 DiMarzio Transition Bridge is an excellent hot PAF style pick-up. It saved me from selling the PRS.

DP

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 245 se ts recently i'm in love with. I like the stock pickups wich shocked me because many of the USA made "real" PRS's pickups sound like mud butt to me (love the guitars though but some of the pickups are really loose and grainy sounding almost like they're weakened out of phase high outputs or something and have too much bass) anyway i'm really impressed with it and it's an SE, which I've played a handful of as a few friends (well a few handfuls) have many models and they're all pretty nice. I noted the electronics were much better quality than many guitars in their price range and the feel and tone is pretty tasty....beefy clear crunch tone with piano like resonance, that big open but focused CLANG you get from a truly quality piece of dried wood, very much my new singer songwriter/rock axe even though i'm mainly a metal oriented player. anyway I think I see more of these in my future now lol. I would like to get a marshall again first but I think I have a new company on my list with older (90's and early 20000's by that lol) Gibsons, schecters and now PRS. i'm open to any GOOD guitar of course but the brand is now cemented for me as I've played enough to know I like them a lot. I already posted these in my thread but here are some pix anyway :)

diesect20022000-albums-stuff-picture10790-good33.jpg

diesect20022000-albums-stuff-picture10789-good22.jpg

diesect20022000-albums-stuff-picture10791-good44.jpg

diesect20022000-albums-stuff-picture10788-good11.jpg

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Unlike most PRS SE pickups, the 245 pickups are actually pretty damn decent. The most love I've seen when it comes to stock PRSi are the SE245s, the Tremonti Customs, and the Zack Myers sig, which all have SE 245 pickups.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Here's the crown jewel of my herd. 2003 Pre lawsuit Artist edition single-cut, Whale blue with Paua birds and logo, The finest axe I have ever held in my battle scarred hands. Although it never will see a gig (thats what my Les Paul studios are for), I do play it at practice once or twice a year and in my home on occasion just to remind me of how fine an instrument PRS makes, especially from this era.Say what you will and hate all you want, but I am sure you have never played this one and if you did there is no way you would argue with me. visually stunning and absolute magic to play/hear.

PRS,,, There is no substitute.

Ok, be honest … are you a dentist? :lol:

Latest posts