PRS appreciation thread

• Thread starter Goosey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Goosey

Reaction score
Like them or not, you can't deny that Paul Reed Smith make some beautiful looking instruments. Post a photo of yours in here for everyone to see (even if it's an SE).
I'll start...
This is my 2007 Custom 24 in Sunburst and it is hands down the best instrument I have ever seen or played. The top is simply magnificent. I've just got to get rid of the EMG's soon.

Dino

Reaction score
In 2007, my dad past away and left me his '86 Custom 24.
He purchased the guitar new from Washington Music Center in 1986 for $1500.
I remember the day he bought it. I teased him about spending so much money on a guitar that nobody even heard of. He took it in stride and told me "You'll see. One day Paul Reed Smith will be as big as Gibson and Fender" ... Dad was right.

So this past Saturday, I attended the PRS PTC event at Washington Music Center and had the pleasure of meeting Michael Deely. I learned that Michael Deely was one of the employees at PRS who actually helped build my dad's Custom 24 (serial# 6 0598) back in 1986! It's my understanding that Michael was the person who set the neck and prepared the guitar for finishing. He used to mark the guitars he worked on by placing a star in the pickup cavity. It was really cool talking to him and hearing all of the stories about PRS during that era. What an awesome day. I only wish my dad could have been there.

Goosey

Reaction score
Great story Dino! Sorry to hear of your fathers passing.
Is that a one piece top on the '86?

Dino

Reaction score
Great story Dino! Sorry to hear of your fathers passing.
Is that a one piece top on the '86?

Thanks Goosey.
Yeah, it's a one piece top.
This one also has a tone control in lieu of a sweet switch.
While I was there Saturday, I asked Michael Deely about the tone control and the one piece top. I was curious to know if maybe this was an "employee guitar" but he said it most likely was not. He explained that it wasn't unusual to see various options on the early guitars.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
SE Custom 24

I named her Jackie after the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir in Central Park …

IMG_1363_zps1e95c713.jpg

IMG_1360_zps8b44025f.jpg

* yes, i realize there is an unexplained 'alien' reflection in the top photo, and a coffee cup in the bottom photo :lol:

duncan11

Reaction score
SE Custom 24

I named her Jackie after the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir in Central Park …

IMG_1363_zps1e95c713.jpg

IMG_1360_zps8b44025f.jpg

* yes, i realize there is an unexplained 'alien' reflection in the top photo, and a coffee cup in the bottom photo :lol:

I played my friends Santana blue one too. Nice top on yours, tight tiger pattern. They're great guitars for the money.

Dino

Reaction score
Here's my modded Tremonti SE Custom.

* PRS phase II locking tuners
* Schaller pearl tuner buttons
* PRS "Deep Dish II" pickup (bridge)
* Tremol-no
* Refinished Headstock w/ signature logo

Dino

Reaction score
What did you do to the headstock? Refinished over it and added a decal?

I removed the "SE" logo, re-painted the face of the headstock, applied the signature logo, and applied 2k acrylic urethane clearcoat. Then I wetsanded and buffed it out. The logo is under clearcoat. ;)

base851

Reaction score
I am totally sold on the PRS SE line. There is NOTHING you can get in the $500-$800 range that even approaches them in terms of build quality and tone. I own 3 SE 245s and an SE Custom 24 Floyd. The only thing I don't like about them are the pups, so whenever I get a new one I drop in a Duncan JB/Jazz set and they sound fantastic.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
PRS guitar fall into their own category.
IMO, they're in the Fender morphed with Gibson vibe.
They have a Gibson like appearance.
People bitch about various things about PRS.
To each their own.
I like them.
IMO, PRS has the most consistent Q/C of any large American guitar company.
I currently own 13 PRS guitars.
The only changes I've done are strings (duh) and strap locks.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
It's odd...
You see people year after year complain about Gibson's QC, yet I've seen several people complain about PRS guitars having no flaws, claiming they don't have the "character" Gibson or Fender has due to their heightened quality. ****ing guitarists, man. :rofl:

Yeah, I bitch about Q/C a lot.
Been playing,buying and hoarding since the late 60's.
It's not a new rant.
Just different voices saying the same thing.
Love my '62 SG/LP Jr.
Les Paul hated the cutaways.
If you're comfy, it's good.:cool:

Goosey

Reaction score
I believe that's a tobacco burst Scotty? Very nice axe though!
I don't get the generic hate on PRS, they're an outstanding instrument in every way. I understand some people don't like the in your face 10 tops (which I personally like a lot) but they do offer versions that aren't so. I'm a huge fan of Gibson and I actually have a LP Custom headstock tattoo'd on my arm (more for the factor of the music those guitars have brought me, not a sellout) but my PRS is better as an all rounder guitar then my LP Trad. Corksniffers need to try other things once in a while, I bet most people who have a bitch about PRS haven't even played one.

Rant over.