Pulsonic Greenback Coil Rub help!

• Thread starter giam23
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

giam23

Reaction score
So I just picked up this quad of greenbacks today, and this is mostly a gamble but anyway.

Three of the speakers are 1968 “20w” greenbacks but of course are actually 25w, two of them have the same or very close date stamp on the arm, the third has the date stamp on the gasket (from a few months earlier). The 4th one is from 1970.

Now two of these speakers are good (one of the 68 and the one with the date code on the gasket, the top two speakers in the image) when I picked them up they were tested and good, check out on all the tests and no coil rub.

These two have been paid for, but the other two are where it gets interesting. If I decide to take them then I’ll send him $325usd, if not he is very happy with me bringing them back to him, nice guy.

The first one (the 1970) is missing the dust cap, everything else is in great condition with no repairs but due to the lack of dust cap which fell off a long time ago there is fine particles in between the centre of the magnet and the voice coil and it rub like crazy, not even rubs it’s the sound small little grains in there sliding. This speaker was treated as non functioning and mostly just thrown in as part of the deal.

The final one is where I request the help here, the owner did not realise there was issues with it until I plugged them in and briefly tested them when picking them up. All speakers were tested face up, on top of a piece of foam, individually, with a 15w amp going into them. This speaker had an apparent rattle mostly when playing on the low E, not bad but definitely there. Testing for coil rub there definitely is some, but in an interesting way.
This speaker has two repairs, one just above where one of the wires goes from the terminal into the cone, and another on the edge about 1.5 inches long that is partially in the doping. When punching from the top approx an 8th of the speaker at a time (cut like a pizza slice), only one quarter of the speaker rubs which is between the two repairs, not on them. When pushing from the back with two hands opposite each other, it only rubs when one hand is on the large repair, flip it 90deg and there is no rub.

The whole chassis has been tested against a new speaker and there are no deformities, there is a very slight flat spot at the site of the large repair near the rim. The small repair close to the centre does have some form of patch behind it that I will add photos of.

I’ve got 3 or 4 days to decide whether to keep them or bring them back

Basically for $325us are these worth my time? I have not had a chance to put them in a cap so I’ll do that tomorrow and see how bad the rattling is. These are very hard to come by here in Australia.
If not are you able to use a used cone from this broken speaker to recone another speaker? Otherwise what parts here are saveable?

IMG_4694.jpeg
IMG_4696.jpeg

giam23

Reaction score
Here’s some more photos of the one without the dust cap, from ducking around with it and trying to get all the tiny granules out I’ve removed almost all the rub, there are only a few tiny spots that barely rub if pressure is applied to one spot on the cone, move the whole thing up and down it is good

IMG_4697.jpeg

giam23

Reaction score
Here are the photos of the repairs on the main rubbing one, yes I’ve checked that everywhere the cone and spider is glued down properly

IMG_4699.jpeg
IMG_4700.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4701.jpeg
    IMG_4701.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 8

BygoneTones

Reaction score
I would probably just send the two bad ones back and be happy with the two good ones. Save yourself the expense and hassle of trying to fix them.

Value sounds about right for the two bad ones. Whenever I have sold faulty speakers like that on Ebay I have always got very little for them. Maybe £50 to £80 GBP per speaker for pre-rolas if I'm lucky. I've sold faulty blackbacks for £20 in the past.

It comes down to whether you would enjoy fixing up the other two, or if it would just be a pain for you. Financially I don't think it's an investment to buy the bad pair.

StingRay85

Reaction score
Dust cap was probably removed in an attempt to fix the rub

giam23

Reaction score
I would probably just send the two bad ones back and be happy with the two good ones. Save yourself the expense and hassle of trying to fix them.

Value sounds about right for the two bad ones. Whenever I have sold faulty speakers like that on Ebay I have always got very little for them. Maybe £50 to £80 GBP per speaker for pre-rolas if I'm lucky. I've sold faulty blackbacks for £20 in the past.

It comes down to whether you would enjoy fixing up the other two, or if it would just be a pain for you. Financially I don't think it's an investment to buy the bad pair.
I wouldn’t mind trying to fix them Atleast, I still have 3 or 4 days to let him know if I want them or not and to try them in the meantime. Are there any issues with not having the dustcao on that speaker besides of course getting stuff in there?

I think I might be able to get that one to work fine.
I will test the other one today but it seems more like the voice coil is misaligned or something rather than there being small crap in there

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
Good luck, generally you need the right shims to realign it after pouring acetone on the glue. But too much and you'll weaken the cone, and then you have to hope the copper wire isn't unwinding and that the former will return to a perfectly round shape.

Lots of times this method will work, for a few months, then it will go bad again. I've fixed enough speakers that have been "saved" or "restored" to know how long that fix lasts. I've successfully done it three times. All the other attempts failed.

Like I said, good luck!

giam23

Reaction score
Good luck, generally you need the right shims to realign it after pouring acetone on the glue. But too much and you'll weaken the cone, and then you have to hope the copper wire isn't unwinding and that the former will return to a perfectly round shape.

Lots of times this method will work, for a few months, then it will go bad again. I've fixed enough speakers that have been "saved" or "restored" to know how long that fix lasts. I've successfully done it three times. All the other attempts failed.

Like I said, good luck!
I might see how I go with the one missing the dustcap first, its 100% one or two little particles I. There left for me to get out and it could be fine (minus the missing dust cap of course). I’m thinking if I can fix that one then the value will be worth it, and I can possibly remove the dust cap off the other rubbing speaker and glue it onto the one without a dustcap. Then I can see how misaligned (or even swollen) the voice coil of the repaired speaker is

playloud

Reaction score
Good score on the first two! And the last two sound like a fun project...

What cab did these come out of? Eminar?

giam23

Reaction score
Good score on the first two! And the last two sound like a fun project...

What cab did these come out of? Eminar?
good guess, but they came out of a vampower cab, the guy i got them off was a collector of them. he also had an original '67 marshall "PIG" in insanely good condition

playloud

Reaction score
good guess, but they came out of a vampower cab, the guy i got them off was a collector of them. he also had an original '67 marshall "PIG" in insanely good condition

Incredible! Did you tell him about a forum he might like to join?

giam23

Reaction score
Managed to remove everything out of the one without the dust cap. I put it as well as the two good ones in my cab with a 6204 reissue and it sounds great. I hooked up the last one with the coil rub to test but it’s 10pm now so can’t crank it up. But low volume cleans it seemed to be fine with the speaker on its back in the cab. We will find out tomorrow

Incredible! Did you tell him about a forum he might like to join?
He was a cool guy, had a tiny 10sqm studio tucked away in the back rooms of a night club. He was I think in his 50s and has been playing and doing audio all his life, had some pretty cool stuff including some NOS Philips EL34s and some really cool mics like an original u67. Also had an early 70s sunburst LP custom, and two custom LPs, one with a Tom Bartlett body and the other supposedly had a MAX body

giam23

Reaction score
Update, all are in the cab, and they sound bloody amazing. I can’t really tell if that one with cone rub is buzzing at all. When I tested it with the seller it was on its back ontop of a piece of foam with a ~15w amp running into it and it was noticeably buzzy on the low E string, not played that loud.
I tried with my jubilee on as clean as possible with my head right next to the speaker and cannot hear it buzz. It also sounds fine on proper gain with my JMP. I stuck a 57 in front of each speaker and recorded it and I cannot hear it doing anything funky at all.

Would there be any issues me running this speaker still? I’ve heard if there is voice coil rub it could overheat or the like. Any other tests I should do?

Reactions: AML