Quest for The Brown Sound

nickfox

Reaction score
Watch this guy crank out some Van Halen with a Metropoulos Metro Plex. Absolutely stunning playing and tone, especially when he gets into the first album about half way through.

It's the best I've heard since seeing Van Halen at the US festival in 1983.

Last edited:

tallcoolone

Reaction score
And I would make it sound like just another Marshall lol. What I’ve learned after buying and selling amps over the past 3-4 decades…most of the time it’s the player, not the amp. Want to sound like EVH? Spend hours and hours and hours working on your EVH chops

jeffb

Reaction score
I've done a bit of back and forth with Jim on some of his previous videos talking speakers/pickups- seems like a good guy, certainly knowledgeable, and gets as close anyone I've heard and better than 99%. One of the few people who I've enjoyed seeing/hearing go down that rabbit hole of rabbit holes.

The Metroplex is my #1 lotto win amp and has been for a few years.

I'm not an EVH tone chaser (though early VH is certainly a big part of the soundtrack of my younger days), but I dig what he's done there on the EVH side of MKII- it sounds REALLY good.

That said, I prefer the side that is the clone of George's amp.

Also check out Jim's earlier vids- his Super Lead sounds killer too.

And absolutely- the attitude in your playing is key to EVH tone- his attack on the strings is extremely rare among guitar players- it's both effortless and powerful.

Sustainium

Reaction score
Watch this guy crank out some Van Halen with a Metropoulos Metro Plex. Absolutely stunning playing and tone, especially when he gets into the first album about half way through.

It's the best I've heard since seeing Van Halen at the US festival in 1983.

:slash: Now there is no excuse for not
laying down those VH licks :drool:

nickfox

Reaction score
The best EVH tone I'd heard before this was Ben Eller using the Top Jimi Pack for his kemper.

But this is better.

The signal chain he was using in the video was an MXR flanger into MXR phaser and then into a real echoplex and of course the Variac dialed down to 90V.

nickfox

Reaction score
And I would make it sound like just another Marshall lol. What I’ve learned after buying and selling amps over the past 3-4 decades…most of the time it’s the player, not the amp. Want to sound like EVH? Spend hours and hours and hours working on your EVH chops

In recent months I've seen you do battle with a number of "tone is in the amp" vs "tone is in the fingers" guys. But I'm not going to argue with you after watching all the zeppelin videos you've posted. I think your tone and playing is exceptional.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
In recent months I've seen you do battle with a number of "tone is in the amp" vs "tone is in the fingers" guys. But I'm not going to argue with you after watching all the zeppelin videos you've posted. I think your tone and playing is exceptional.
Well thanks man. I've just been there, bought so so so many amps. And I always sound pretty much the same. I'm full of shit, b/c I'm really wanting an SLO right now but I've come to terms that it's not going to make me sound much different at all. I just want that toy I've never had lol

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone could go wrong by getting either a Metropoulos or a Bray. They are both great amps.
No doubt. Thought thread needed a reference point since OP asked. :D

Neither of these amps will find a home with me. I know better than to play EVH anything song wise. I prefer to bask in his guitar glory listening to him playing. I am forever blown away now, as I was in junior high when Eruption first aired on the radio. I haven't the words to describe it. Just a facial expression of absolute awe.:agreed:

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
No doubt. Thought thread needed a reference point since OP asked. :D

Neither of these amps will find a home with me. I know better than to play EVH anything song wise. I prefer to bask in his guitar glory listening to him playing. I am forever blown away now, as I was in junior high when Eruption first aired on the radio. I haven't the words to describe it. Just a facial expression of absolute awe.:agreed:
I am so onboard with that same feeling all these years later.

RIP

Stefan_E

Reaction score
And absolutely- the attitude in your playing is key to EVH tone- his attack on the strings is extremely rare among guitar players- it's both effortless and powerful.

Yes!! It's very much in the string attack. And a lot of how his left hand "reacts" to every attack. There's so much more going on than just the notes played.

nickfox

Reaction score

Hey man, thanks for posting those tracks. I was reading another thread here on MF this morning and came across this guy playing eruption on a bray amp. That's when I was really able to make the connection and hear how good those amps are.

The Bray delivered.

Here was the video I heard this morning:

I'm not an EVH tone chaser (though early VH is certainly a big part of the soundtrack of my younger days)

Same here. I will never forget somebody coming into my dorm room and putting on the first van halen album. Just wow.

I AM a tone chaser for the AC/DC POWERAGE album. Not any other AC/DC album. Just Powerage, my favorite album of all time...

Last edited:

Derek S

Reaction score
Agree about playing VH riffs as close to the man as possible being important, that plus running through a hot rodded crunchy amp can scratch that brown sound itch (doesn't even have to be a Marshall or Marshall clone, just something similar in vibe). Playing, the right guitar/pickups and especially speaker choice (IMO) are big keys to it. Seems like playing VH riffs well enough with the right core gear pieces will convince a listeners brain they're hearing a great VH-like tone. If the dudes in the clips above were playing other staple 80's riffs (non Edward material) you may not even initially think "that's a cool VH tone"....it's the tone paired with his riffs that make you think "ahh, the brown sound". I've gotten respectable VH tones through a Ceriatone, Peavey 5150, Friedman Smallbox, Fender 5150 III and hell, even my Axe FX.

Edward shook up the world. The coolest thing I ever saw written about him after he passed was something that simply said...."and he did it all with a smile".

Smellytele

Reaction score
I'm number 36 on the list for a Metroplex MkII. Last week he was up to number 20, so I'm hoping mine will be my Christmas present to myself. Oh, as far as the VH thing, I can't play like him at all and listening to his music is all the joy I need. That said, I love that he's still inspiring people to play and inspiring players and builders to chase his tones.

Latest posts