• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Question about adding an Effects Loop

• Thread starter Landshark
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Landshark

Reaction score
I recently purchased a sweet Jet City 20 watt amp head, and overall I find the tonal quality amazing! When I read the reviews on it prior to purchasing it, I noticed that it was rated low in features for not having and effects loop and reverb. I'm not worried about adding reverb at all, but I am curious as to what would have to be done to add an effects loop?

I'm obviously not going to try this myself as I'm way underqualified (I've decided it's best if I just stick to playing until I learn a little more), but I'm curious to know the process here. The circuitry is much more simplified then I had imagined, being a one channel amp with bass mids treble gain volume and presence. It also has a 16 ohm jack and two 8 ohm jacks. Is it possible to use the two 8 ohm jacks as send and return jacks for the effects loop?

Also another thought, being as there are hot plates that act as master volumes to get cranked tones at low volumes, is there a box like this to add an effects loop prior to going to the cab?

Keeb

Reaction score
I recently purchased a sweet Jet City 20 watt amp head, and overall I find the tonal quality amazing! When I read the reviews on it prior to purchasing it, I noticed that it was rated low in features for not having and effects loop and reverb. I'm not worried about adding reverb at all, but I am curious as to what would have to be done to add an effects loop?

I'm obviously not going to try this myself as I'm way underqualified (I've decided it's best if I just stick to playing until I learn a little more), but I'm curious to know the process here. The circuitry is much more simplified then I had imagined, being a one channel amp with bass mids treble gain volume and presence. It also has a 16 ohm jack and two 8 ohm jacks. Is it possible to use the two 8 ohm jacks as send and return jacks for the effects loop?

Also another thought, being as there are hot plates that act as master volumes to get cranked tones at low volumes, is there a box like this to add an effects loop prior to going to the cab?

Well, I'm no expert in any way but after a quick google search I couldn't find a schematic. Without it I don't think anyone really can give you any steady pointers.

There are kits available ( Zero-Loss FX Loop Kit - $95.00 : MetroAmp, Amplifier Kits and Parts Online Store for example).

You could use the 8 ohm jack (saves drilling a hole), but of course you need to disconnect it first...

An effects loop basically goes between preamp and power amp. This gives you the option of putting pedals before or after the preamp. The preamp pretty much shapes the tone and the power amp amplifies it.
Some effects sounds "better" when given an already modulated signal (chorus, reverb etc.).

These volume boxes that you stick in the loop does just what they say, they lower the volume. BUT they do this by acting as a master volume NOT by attenuating/soaking the signal. This comes from the fact that they lower the signal before the power amp (the loop goes after the preamp and before the power amp remember?).
An attenuator lowers the signal coming from the power amp and allows power tube break up. It goes after the power amp.
So if you want to crank your power tubes a volume box in the loop is not for you...

I hope I don't come across as condescending. I don't know how much you know about this stuff so I figured I'd take it from the top.

Anyway, glad to hear you're enjoying your amp!

Latest posts