Random blabbing about my Les Pauls (lengthy)

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
I have three Gibson Les Pauls: 1958 Reissue, 1959 Reissue and a 2010 Traditional. I'm gonna go ahead and just blab some random stuff about them.

Traditional:
vinsanitizer-albums-gear-picture11714-10tsm.jpg
This guitar's serial number falls on my birthday in 2010: September 23, 2010. I didn't know that until about three years after I bought it. I had already purchased a sunburst Traditional in 2009, and it was so good that I wanted another as a backup. This Ebony model was just as good so that's the one I settled on. I subsequently had to sell one of the two to fund another guitar, so seeing as I had slightly worn down the frets on the sunburst, that was the one I chose to let go of. If it's tone was a 10, this ebony one was a 9.5. They were that similar.

The quality of the LP Trad's I was trying around 2008-2011 was phenomenal - the best I'd ever seen from Gibson, and I've had/played a bunch of them spanning a few decades. They have solid bodies (no holes), 57 and 57 plus pickups, and very high frets (good). The weight of my guitar is 9.6 lbs. It was made nearly 5 months after the Gibson factory flood which [as I know] occurred on 5/3/10. The tone can only be described as "that famous Les Paul tone", as several other people have randomly commented to me. It's pretty amazing when multiple unrelated people make the same comment about your tone. This guitar, as well as the 2009 sunburst model I had, are absolutely flawless in every way imaginable. I removed the stock chrome pickup covers last winter. There was zero change in tone and I could take them or leave them, the looks of both are good to me.

Custom Shop 1959 Historic Reissue VOS
vinsanitizer-albums-gear-picture11715-59sm.jpg
Bourbon Burst. Supposedly Gibson's legal term for the infamous 'Brockburst'. I finally decided I had to have one of these guitars. Born somewhere mid-way through 2013, it weighs 8.4 lbs and is f*cking ridiculous in the way it feels, plays, sounds and looks. They price is WAY more than they're worth, or maybe a better way to put it is I'm not worth the price. But who the hell rejects the opportunity to own an expensive sports car? Regardless, these guitars 'can be' amazing. I say they can be, because not every one of them lives up to their reputation. Players need to understand that Gibson Les Pauls are often judged by their looks more than their tone. It's just the way it's always been. A Strat's also an incredible guitar, but Gibson's Les Pauls are borderline legendary in the appearance category.

This LP has two Gibson Custom 'buckers. I have no clue about them, but man the guitar breathes. You can hear all the hollow, breathy, boxy notes and overtones associated with high quality vintage guitars, and the touch sensitivity and dynamics is unmatched. That goes equally for all three pickup selections. It seems so weird to me - I've played this sound (or maybe I've just heard it) somewhere before, though I swear I've never even seen an original 50's Les Paul in person. My first - and lasting - impression about this guitar is that it has a vocal quality, a sound and a dynamic that transcends it's build features. It's almost like when you pick it up and play it, it could be a total piece of crap in build quality, but you don't even think about it because you're too busy expressing your emotions through the thing. No other guitar that I recall has done that for me since I began playing in 1978. Bottom line is it truly is the best sounding LP I've ever owned, and mine isn't even the best example. It's a privilege and an honor to own it, but it's also the first guitar to go if you ever need money. Not a guitar for drug addicts.

Custom Shop 1958 Historic Reissue VOS
vinsanitizer-albums-gear-picture11716-58sm.jpg
Sunrise Tea Burst, 2011. It's a plaintop for sure, though it's got some mild but large knotties that make it look 3D in certain lighting. Les Paul tops are all about the lighting, aren't they? I picked this puppy up used for a mere $2,300. The 19th fret had been whacked, which I didn't notice at the time of purchase, so I got a complete expert grind and polish for free (awesome store). This guitar plays like a dream, glows under the right lighting and sounds like an army. Its Burst Bucker set (I don't know which) lend themselves to a very loud pick attack. This one's neck pickup has a muddier low end than the R9, but the bridge pickup is a bit more solid in comparison.

Ending Statements
I'm not bragging, just hoping to share a little bit of my fun with anyone who might appreciate a few words on the topic. I've worked hard and have come a long way since I was 22 to own guitars of this caliber. Bottom line is it's so amazing when you have a couple/few guitars that inspire you. I consider myself fortunate.

Last edited:

Jaymz E

Reaction score
Nice LPs Vin. :cool:

I purchased my '59 used for $2,400 back in 2004. It has a tone pros bridge added. My favorite of my 5 remaining LPs is a '82 Maple neck Custom with nickel hardware and Duncan JB/59 combo. It's way better than the all Mahogany '03 Custom that I have.
I still love LPs, but I hate the company and CEO. I mainly play Stratocasters now, but on occasion I'll whip out a LP or an Acoustic Martin or Taylor.

I consider myself lucky too, because growing up I felt lucky to even own a guitar, but no amp. My first good quality guitar was an Ibanez Allen Holdsworth model.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice LPs Vin. :cool:

I purchased my '59 used for $2,400 back in 2004. It has a tone pros bridge added. My favorite of my 5 remaining LPs is a '82 Maple neck Custom with nickel hardware and Duncan JB/59 combo. It's way better than the all Mahogany '03 Custom that I have.
I still love LPs, but I hate the company and CEO. I mainly play Stratocasters now, but on occasion I'll whip out a LP or an Acoustic Martin or Taylor.

I consider myself lucky too, because growing up I felt lucky to even own a guitar, but no amp. My first good quality guitar was an Ibanez Allen Holdsworth model.

Feel free to pist a pic. It's amazing how personal these things become sometimes, aye?

Jaymz E

Reaction score
Feel free to pist a pic. It's amazing how personal these things become sometimes, aye?

I have a few crappy pics in my MF profile album, but I don't have a camera or smart phone or host site account. lol...I truly am old school. I do need to get some good pics of all my gear.

Last edited:

Macro

Reaction score
The land of cheesesteaks and soft pretzels
Damn nice axes Vin.
I agree with the others....the Bourbon burst is just beautiful.
Would love to hear them...if they play as well as they look you are truly a lucky man.

Well, maybe not lucky...I get the impression that you earned every bit of those treasures. :)

Jaymz E

Reaction score
Now you need to get a Gold top and a Black beauty to finish off your sweet Gibson collection. Your '59 looks killer!!! Mine is a dark tobacco burst, I like the finish on yours better.

Bear R.

Reaction score
Their Sweet Vin..All 3 are real nice...that's cool about the one being built on your Birthday, how amazing is that..

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll take the '58 R.I. Tea Burst.
send it to me now...

Story behind the R8
I walked into the music store a few weeks after I'd just bought the R9, and I saw that R8 just hanging there next to the other Historic Les Pauls with a glow that made it stand out from the crowd. Definitely the "angels singing" experience. It had a tag on it that said, "USED - 2011 R8 VOS - $2,300". I was like, WTF? I was nearly broke from buying the R9. I pulled it down to play it on a Gibson bar stool just to check it out, and immediately started bonding with it. "NO BUYING TODAY!" In my head I was thinking, "No WAY - I'm going to plug this in!".

So of course, I plugged it into a Marshall in a private room. Again with the angels. I knew I had to have it. I'd been through a couple other Historics that sucked and I'd ditched them ASAP. But since I had the R9, and now had the chance to own an R8 in my favorite color on the cheap, I found a way to scrape up the cash. I'm against the use of credit cards, we'd chopped ours up and paid them off a decade ago. So I began to think about dipping into one of my retirement funds. I found out that I had an account where I could borrow money against it, and if I paid it back within 60 days it would be as though it never happened. So I did that, and paid it back to myself within 5 weeks. I brought it home and was just as in love with it as I was the R9. These guitars have a vibe that's all their own. An old-school tone and feel you just can't get anywhere else today.

But I found a major flaw. When I'd bend a note up on the B-string at the 19th fret it would choke. And when I played a regular note on the G-string it would go "plink". I was like, WTF??? So I got out the 6" metal ruler and started measuring. Turns out the 19th fret was low right under the G-string. There was no way I could accept that kind of flaw. To this day I have no idea whether it came from the factory like that or it got whacked by the previous owner (no marks or evidence of damage). I took it back to the shop 3 days later and I said, "well, I think I found out why the original owner sold this", and I went on to explain... I said to the shop owner, "I don't care what you have to charge me, if you have to change that fret out, level them all, do whatever needs to be done." So the shop owner took it and spent hours late that night leveling all of the frets just because of that one fret. He felt that was better than changing the fret because of the binding.

I got the call the next day: "your guitar is ready". I was thinking, this is still gonna suck; there's no way he fixed it that quickly. So I showed up after work and dry-tested it, hmm... seems good. Plugged it into a clean Marshall, hmm... seems pretty good. Switched to the OD channel and started wailing on it... OMG, he fixed it!! It's like it was never touched (except it had shiny frets now, but who cares)!!! What's better, is that it was under the 30 day warranty, so there was no charge.

And so it is. Two years later and I still love all three of my Les Pauls. I could never part with these. Amps, Strats, Teles and acoustic guitars may come and go. But these are the fulfillment of my lifetime dreams of owning the best, most inspirational guitars I can find. Over 35 years of playing, purchasing, selling, trading, gig after gig and all the stuff that goes along with it, all wrapped up in three final guitars. Good stuff. ;)

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
For anyone who likes guitar stories I can highly recommend:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Strat-Attic-Thrilling-Stories-Archaeology/dp/0760343853/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440082893&sr=8-1&keywords=the+strat+in+the+attic"]The Strat In The Attic[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Strat-Attic-Thrilling-Stories-Archaeology/dp/0760346879/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440082893&sr=8-2&keywords=the+strat+in+the+attic"]The Strat In The Attic 2[/ame]

These books are nice to own if you collect guitar & amp books, but they're not "so nice" that you wouldn't want to buy the Kindle versions. I went for the Kindle versions even though I do collect books.

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd try a 1959 just because of the way you talked about it.

I never care much about what a guitar looks like anyway: you were talking about the important things.

dreyn77

Reaction score
oh yeah, you got some slick guitars there vin. :) they ROCK!!!

three different attitudes.

that 59 should never leave your sight. ;)
custom buckers?! WOW! impressive!

The others are the kings of cool!
I'd have a hard time putting that 59 down and having a rest.
that guitar would wear my fingers back to the bones. ;)