Randy Rhoads Amps and Pedals

• Thread starter Neaves The Wicked
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neaves The Wicked

Reaction score
Ok, Since I'm back on my Randy Rhoads kick which leaves for about 2 months and comes right back with a vengeance being that I still have no 1959 RR I have started exploring aspects that money wise may be a little more feasible.

I have been searching forums all over the internet for pedal settings and found Randy's eq curve for the 10 band mxr eq along with the distortion plus setting from the les paul forums. Now I can't try out the eq setting since I don't have a time period correct one but I did acquire a 1988 mxr distortion plus.

I found the d + setting that was suggested as Randy's might be backwards. The setting I found that Randy used it as Output at 45% and Distortion at 100% but from trying this setting it didn't have the thickness that you hear on tribute so I reversed it and there it was. Anyone with a 1959RR and a D+ try this out?

Anyone else have some settings for his chorus and flanger?

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
I have always trusted my ears on stuff like that. It never fails that the info posted is either twisted or just flat out wrong.
For whatever reason, guitarist feel they need to keep all of their settings secret and I really don't get that. EVH hated to say anything about his stuff until he realized he could make more money selling gear than making music.
It would be really refreshing to see some real useable info into this topic.

Neaves The Wicked

Reaction score
Dsl I'm in 10,000% Agreement!!!

Hopefully some folks that own a Randy amp will chime in on what they have found out using randy effects through his amp!!!!

I will say this, that the Distortion Plus was a Huge part of Randy's sound and this can't be discounted out of the equation. On the jimdunlop website there is a sound sample of the pedal done in the vein of Randy and it's unmistakable when the lead part comes in.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m104-distortion

Scroll down the page in the link I sent and go to the second Distortion Plus sounds sample.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
i've done randy for years... it's all in the hands....a guy named Dez Sherwood is a randy clone but even w/ all the gear he'll tell you it's in the hands...

yer not Randy,you won't be.... I met Randy the day after ozzy pissed on the alamo & 3 wks before Randy's death when he told me to play guitar & be original... i've met his mom....it's all true- just bew you... you won't be randy & he won't be you.....

spiritdave

Reaction score
No one expects to be able to have the exact same playing feel as the artists they love, but I do understand why you wanna nail the tone. Tone is NOT all in the fingers. Tone is massively in the gear you use. Feel and playing is in the fingers. Tone comes through of course ... but I said it before and I'll say it again ... imagine going back to when Randy was alive ... if you stood with him and he played a D chord ... then you played the same D chord through his gear, you'd sound EXACTLY the same.

I am not as into Randy Rhodes so I never knew much about his gear but the sig amp does look damn fine from Marshall ... and I'd love to hear from someone here who has the same setup :)

Neaves The Wicked

Reaction score
Dude that's cool! I appreciate your story of meeting him and the "be yourself" comment and also with it being in the hands and I do subscribe to what it is your saying but this is for fun not for I'm 20 years old and I need a sound to latch onto for myself so let me buy one. I would like to be able to emulate his distortion/effect sounds to have more fun while i'm playing his music.

Now I know I'll never be Randy who is a LEGEND so I'm not worried about it!

Since you are a Randy fan and have met him it would be cool if you could maybe offer any knowledge into what settings with the effects used.

Maybe even chorus and flanger pedals that could be used as a substitute.

I would also like to apply some of this stuff even for playing covers in a band someday. It's about fun bro, Join us :)

Check out this video of Randy Chamnbers with Rhoads to Ozz doing the Tribute guitar solo, just looks like a hell of a good time to have all that gear playing Randy's music.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHK0jm3Dt2U]YouTube - Randy Rhoads Memorial @ The Whisky 3-19-08- Randy Chambers[/ame]

Neaves The Wicked

Reaction score
You can still start with that curve and trust your ear to adjust to taste. It'll be pretty close right outta the gate if you have the same curve settings.

Yes this is true but I don't have a eq pedal and I think he used his as a solo boost. Thanks for helping out bro! :)

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
This method is as good as any I've seen on the net:

Just before you go to sleep you kiss the mirror and say "i love you Randy" then you tuck your Pokerdot Flying V in bed beside you, and then count a hundred ways to play diminished arpeggios before falling asleep.

But all joking aside...there isnt anything valid on the net concerning his tone.
There are lots of variables though... pickups, etc.

If you're asking if the 1959RR has the RR feel and sound, yes it has! more than you would expect.

Neaves The Wicked

Reaction score
This method is as good as any I've seen on the net:

Just before you go to sleep you kiss the mirror and say "i love you Randy" then you tuck your Pokerdot Flying V in bed beside you, and then count a hundred ways to play diminished arpeggios before falling asleep.

:lol:

Neaves The Wicked

Reaction score
No one expects to be able to have the exact same playing feel as the artists they love, but I do understand why you wanna nail the tone. Tone is NOT all in the fingers. Tone is massively in the gear you use. Feel and playing is in the fingers. Tone comes through of course ... but I said it before and I'll say it again ... imagine going back to when Randy was alive ... if you stood with him and he played a D chord ... then you played the same D chord through his gear, you'd sound EXACTLY the same.

I am not as into Randy Rhodes so I never knew much about his gear but the sig amp does look damn fine from Marshall ... and I'd love to hear from someone here who has the same setup :)

Excellent Explanation!!!!!

Neaves The Wicked

Reaction score
I just re-read your post and that's the stuff I'm talking about. It's all a relevant part of the equation. Thanks for posting that and mentioning the amp too!!! :)

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think trying to play like RR is the most important part .....in this video I used a 2203KK for the solo in the tune with no FX ........ just amp.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brEaOTqtZ9o]YouTube - OZZY OSBOURNE - I DON'T KNOW by Lebanon Drive[/ame]

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
I think trying to play like RR is the most important part .....in this video I used a 2203KK for the solo in the tune with no FX ........ just amp.

YouTube - OZZY OSBOURNE - I DON'T KNOW by Lebanon Drive

There you go! say no more. an example like this blows all theories out of the water.
i would prefer to listen to Michaels style of playing Randy Rhoads than the other guy in that Tribute band any day.

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
There you go! say no more. an example like this blows all theories out of the water.
i would prefer to listen to Michaels style of playing Randy Rhoads than the other guy in that Tribute band any day.

Michael sounds good bro! :)

Thanks Guys..........I would love to have RR's setup but you can make do with what you have.......the most important part is all in the hands not the amps.

brandoz28

Reaction score
Michael that was awesome!!!!!!

huge Rhoads fan....absolutely love his tone and have tried to imitate it. never can quite get there though!