Randy Rhoads Amps and Pedals

• Thread starter Neaves The Wicked
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NJM

Reaction score
Dude that's cool! I appreciate your story of meeting him and the "be yourself" comment and also with it being in the hands and I do subscribe to what it is your saying but this is for fun not for I'm 20 years old and I need a sound to latch onto for myself so let me buy one. I would like to be able to emulate his distortion/effect sounds to have more fun while i'm playing his music.

Now I know I'll never be Randy who is a LEGEND so I'm not worried about it!

Since you are a Randy fan and have met him it would be cool if you could maybe offer any knowledge into what settings with the effects used.

Maybe even chorus and flanger pedals that could be used as a substitute.

I would also like to apply some of this stuff even for playing covers in a band someday. It's about fun bro, Join us :)

Check out this video of Randy Chamnbers with Rhoads to Ozz doing the Tribute guitar solo, just looks like a hell of a good time to have all that gear playing Randy's music.

YouTube - Randy Rhoads Memorial @ The Whisky 3-19-08- Randy Chambers
The sound has to inspire you to play. Even if it's a bad sound. You could plug into Randy's rig and hate. Probably not, but I'm just saying.

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
Michael that was awesome!!!!!!

huge Rhoads fan....absolutely love his tone and have tried to imitate it. never can quite get there though!

Thanks Bro..........Randy played with lot's of finesse.......I have a very heard time playing his music but it is possible to due with a clean overdrive sound in any good Marshall amp. :) here's another video from that party we played .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT-gCpuztPU]YouTube - Ozzy Osbourne - S.A.T.O. - Performed by Lebanon Drive.[/ame]

richieG

Reaction score
I love listening to randy.

He was one of the greats.

But it's funny I never liked his tone much.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
This method is as good as any I've seen on the net:

Just before you go to sleep you kiss the mirror and say "i love you Randy" then you tuck your Pokerdot Flying V in bed beside you, and then count a hundred ways to play diminished arpeggios before falling asleep.

:lol:

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
This method is as good as any I've seen on the net:

Just before you go to sleep you kiss the mirror and say "i love you Randy" then you tuck your Pokerdot Flying V in bed beside you, and then count a hundred ways to play diminished arpeggios before falling asleep.

Good one :lol::lol: I wish it was that easy. :lol::lol:

ddaxe

Reaction score
one thing a really liked about Randy and is very evident on Tribute is he's playing on the edge of his git going totally out of control... which in the hands of a lesser player would be quite caotic... he is IMO one of the best players ever... very innovative with a style that has been lacking in rock these days...

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Dude that's cool! I appreciate your story of meeting him and the "be yourself" comment and also with it being in the hands and I do subscribe to what it is your saying but this is for fun not for I'm 20 years old and I need a sound to latch onto for myself so let me buy one. I would like to be able to emulate his distortion/effect sounds to have more fun while i'm playing his music.

Since you are a Randy fan and have met him it would be cool if you could maybe offer any knowledge into what settings with the effects used.

I would also like to apply some of this stuff even for playing covers in a band someday. It's about fun bro, Join us :)

Check out this video of Randy Chamnbers with Rhoads to Ozz doing the Tribute guitar solo, just looks like a hell of a good time to have all that gear playing Randy's music.

well the closest you can come is mxr pedals & marshall amps...akg mics & ceramic lined rooms...

thunderkyss

Reaction score
There you go! say no more. an example like this blows all theories out of the water.
i would prefer to listen to Michaels style of playing Randy Rhoads than the other guy in that Tribute band any day.

You know who you sound like?

Your dad.

"Dreaming's for losers..."
"You're going to college!"
"Get a hair cut"
"No son of mine is going to..... "

Let the man do his thing. It's not like he's asking us to decode Klingon or something.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score

this is the best i could give you. randy(chambers)is a great guy & will try to help..
like i said.. w/out Randy's fingers...
guitargeek | randy rhoads of ozzy osbourne

the best thing about Randy- or any other person is the person that they are.. there's where you get the insight...
i'm an asshole but i do what i do & noone sounds like me due to the road i've taken... that's your personal sound.
i never got to hear him soundcheck but even on a practiceamp- you could tell who it was..
sae w/ me or anyone- you sound like YOU......enhance the YOU.....

Neaves The Wicked

Reaction score
I spoke to Randy Chambers and He is a Great Guy and has helped me in what information I was looking for. I have my own tone and was looking for something fun to do and have found the information I was looking for elsewhere. Thanks!

Rock On!!!!

:io:

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
You know who you sound like?

Your dad.

"Dreaming's for losers..."
"You're going to college!"
"Get a hair cut"
"No son of mine is going to..... "

Let the man do his thing. It's not like he's asking us to decode Klingon or something.

I just meant that the other guy in the tribute band had all the Randy gear and was boring to listen to, but Michael RT played with the Randy flair, and thats more important than the right pedals or amp.

A clever father would say go and practice.

thunderkyss

Reaction score
I just meant that the other guy in the tribute band had all the Randy gear and was boring to listen to, but Michael RT played with the Randy flair, and thats more important than the right pedals or amp.

A clever father would say go and practice.

What I meant, is that people do what people do.

You play guitar... because you want to make your own music, your own sound.

There's a guy out there, that plays because he want's to be Randy Rhodes.

Why don't we just let you be you & let that other guy be that other guy.

This guy started this thread for help with something he's passionate about... We can choose to help, or not.... even though your opinion is valued on this forum, it didn't really pertain to the original question.

There are practically a million people out there, who picked up a guitar because they had mad respect for someone or another. Many of them turned out to be fine guitar players, with their own style & sound (Randy being one of them).

If getting the "right" eq curve, or an exact replica of one of Randy's speaker is going to inspire someone to pick up the guitar & actually try to play it (practice)..... what's wrong with that?

thunderkyss

Reaction score
Perfect example of this, is Yngwie Malmsteen. He wanted to be Richie Blackmore....

look at him now.

nedcronin

Reaction score
SATO! Michael that sounded kick ass for sure....awesome! Such a great song and you played it so well. I loved it.
Certainly nothing wrong with loving RR's tone.....it was bone crushing and he could play the hell out of a guitar!

Strateuphoria

Reaction score
prize.jpg

do it on a strat:lol:

JakeBluesRocker

Reaction score
Class 5 distortion plus+Lp or V+SD HR Set=Randy TONE(70%),but will not have the feel!(90%)

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I am going to say you'll probably have to do the grunt work once you get a similar enough set up. Every amp, pedal and guitar will never sound exactly the same as another one, so his EQ settings on his amp, pedal and guitar may sound like that thru his specific rig but even with similar equipment it wont be EXACTLY the same. Know what I mean?

Use your ears and play with your amp, guitar and pedals all day, until you hear the tone, best advice I can give.

Also people forget about setting their gear up for acoustics in a room, one room may need more bass, one room may need more treble, a lot of little things come into play.

Get a ballpark tone and get the style down.

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think trying to play like RR is the most important part .....in this video I used a 2203KK for the solo in the tune with no FX ........ just amp.

YouTube - OZZY OSBOURNE - I DON'T KNOW by Lebanon Drive

Well done!
I've been a massive Randy fan for 25 years & to think that 'studio sound' came from a KK just goes to show.If you play a Marshall then the Marshall tones in their somewhere!

Really enjoyed that :hippie: