Re-Tolex - JMP 1969

• Thread starter commachio
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

commachio

Reaction score
Hi all...

I have googled re-tolexing a cab to get a general opinion on what to do. The Tolex is missing underneath and missing at edges and some corners. One of the pots and three capacitors were changed by Marshall in the '90s, feet are incorrect, the logo, carry handle, and rubber feet have also been changed and thus, if your a purist, it is not 100% original. Back is missing.

I feel like a new cover of Tolex would bring her back to life. I'm not intending to sell it.........

Constructive criticisms please - thanks

1725970413684.png1725970437523.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 13.14.46.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 13.14.46.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 14

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlueX

Reaction score
Hi all...

I have googled re-tolexing a cab to get a general opinion on what to do. The Tolex is missing underneath and missing at edges and some corners. One of the pots and three capacitors were changed by Marshall in the '90s, feet are incorrect, the logo, carry handle, and rubber feet have also been changed and thus, if your a purist, it is not 100% original. Back is missing.

I feel like a new cover of Tolex would bring her back to life. I'm not intending to sell it.........

Constructive criticisms please - thanks

View attachment 157183View attachment 157184
Has any of the transformers been replaced? Has chassis been drilled for mods like FX loop or IEC plug? If not, it seems like this one can be restored. From your pictures it doesn't look too bad, but opinions can of course differ.

I would not retolex. If I wanted a "cleaner" looking amp I would buy another (and maybe sell this one).

ReWind James

Reaction score
If you want to bring it back to life, and your justification for retolxing is some basic cosmetics like the logo, feet, and handle have been replaced, why not just put your money into vintage logo, handle, and feet?

Nobody cares about some caps and a pot. That's regular maintenance.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.

I'm not intending to sell it.........
If you're planning to keep it, do what you want to it.
New tolex on the original shell may put off some, and attract others.
In a re-sale scenario - probably a wash.

or... buy a new (cabinet) box, & store the original one away...
This is also a solid plan.
If you're not planning a DIY tolex job, paying someone to do it may cost about what a clone shell will run you.

BlueX

Reaction score
or... buy a new (cabinet) box, & store the original one away...

just put the chassis in the new box...

but, keep the original box.
This is a good idea!

Where are you located? Here's a JMP50 size headshell for EUR 154 (+ shipping), without tolex if you want to do that yourself (and save some money).

FatFingerBlues

Reaction score
I bought a JCM 900 cab from my guitar teacher
The thing looks rough but it was filled with fresh Vintage 30's and it sounds great
I took it home with every intention of recovering it with new Tolex
But the more stories I heard about the cab and events using it
I realized I would be removing a lot of Rock & Roll if I stripped it
local history perhaps but history with stories to tell

When I realized this, the cab started to look better and better to me
in fact it now looks pretty damn cool to me

My advice is
Leave it
Let it tell it's stories

commachio

Reaction score
Many thanks everyone for your open, honest and 'non-abusive' replies. Taking everyone's comments into consideration I'm going to have it shipped as it is and retain its history. If I really can't live with it then, as others have commented, I'll purchase a "doner" cab. Will post some pictures once its arrived.

many thanks

AndyD

Reaction score
Many thanks everyone for your open, honest and 'non-abusive' replies. Taking everyone's comments into consideration I'm going to have it shipped as it is and retain its history. If I really can't live with it then, as others have commented, I'll purchase a "doner" cab. Will post some pictures once its arrived.

many thanks
Good move!

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I'm not one of those people who is opposed to replacing the tolex on an amp if it's in bad shape. Except where its condition gives it provenance and that provenance adds to interest, collector's value, or history. For example if the damage to the tolex conclusively
marks it as a specific amp owned by (insert your guitar hero of the moment here) at this time, then I'd leave that alone.

But if it's just a random heavily worn head with no significant provenance or history to it, yes I'd consider retolexing it. I like my gear to look good.

My first Superlead, which I still have, had been painted, in enamel, no less, in off-white with brown accents on the handles, feet, etc. A few tests proved that getting the enamel off without damaging the tolex would be a task reserved for a god. Nobody else would succeed. So I stripped it and redid it in the style correct to the '73 model that it is. In purple. Absolutely it was the right choice.

Other amps with much less damage/abuse to their tolex, I've left alone. But if it looks like drowned rat and there's no history or provenance to it, I prefer to recover it.

Last edited:

Up The Steen

Reaction score

many thanks
You rarely see amps in this condition nowadays, the marks and scratches are part of its life story. Keep as is I say.

commachio

Reaction score
And here we go…..no re-Tolex, all kept as original. She’s a real beauty and can’t wait to fire here up later. Ward Guitars recently did full service, full bias done…..

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    679 KB · Views: 7
  • 001§.jpg
    001§.jpg
    880.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    754.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg