• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Recommend A Small Box 2204 Kit

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
I tried searching the forum for this but couldn’t find anything. I’m looking to build a a 2204 clone that can fit into a 1987 plexi type box. I would prefer to buy one with a steel chassis if possible. I do see that Modulus May have such a kit but I’m not sure about having gear shipped from England to the USA. Their chassis may require some drilling to fit the transformers that I end using. I’ve also checked out Valvestorm but I think they have aluminum chassis only. Any other suggestions?

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I tried searching the forum for this but couldn’t find anything. I’m looking to build a a 2204 clone that can fit into a 1987 plexi type box. I would prefer to buy one with a steel chassis if possible. I do see that Modulus May have such a kit but I’m not sure about having gear shipped from England to the USA. Their chassis may require some drilling to fit the transformers that I end using. I’ve also checked out Valvestorm but I think they have aluminum chassis only. Any other suggestions?

steel chassis

You made the right choice.
I think there is more than 1 steel chassis available including stainless steel.

neikeel

Reaction score
http://valvestorm.com/2204 Kit

Yes that is the one, excellent quality parts and you choose your transformers. I tend to get Marstran versions as I prefer original wiring colours and voltages etc that the Classic Tones do not always have. Merren iron is very good if a little more expensive and he is not always easy to contact/deal with (in my experience).

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
http://valvestorm.com/2204 Kit

Yes that is the one, excellent quality parts and you choose your transformers. I tend to get Marstran versions as I prefer original wiring colours and voltages etc that the Classic Tones do not always have. Merren iron is very good if a little more expensive and he is not always easy to contact/deal with (in my experience).
It looks like they use the chassis, case and board of a 1987 type and change a few things to make it into a 2204, is that right? Are the transformers interchangeable between the two models?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Ceriatone amps have a steel chassis, their 2204 chassis is small box size like a JMP. The kit is very affordable especially if you order bare bones cuz youll be using your own parts. Heres some pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137947485@N03/sets/72157671608435446

Last edited:

neikeel

Reaction score
You pay your money and you will get what you pay for.
I have used Nik's (Ceriatone) stuff before and it is good value for money and he is very helpful.
Would I use it for a definitive high quality build? No probably not same way I would buy a CS Gibson Les Paul over a Wilkinson 'Vintage' Les Paul, the latter is a decent guitar for the money but overall not quite same quality, YMMV.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
You pay your money and you will get what you pay for.
I have used Nik's (Ceriatone) stuff before and it is good value for money and he is very helpful.
Would I use it for a definitive high quality build? No probably not same way I would buy a CS Gibson Les Paul over a Wilkinson 'Vintage' Les Paul, the latter is a decent guitar for the money but overall not quite same quality, YMMV.
I don’t think that Valvestorm sells a cab for their build. Was I missing something?

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
After you get your amp built you can have Mojotone or Sourmash or Avatar build you a custom small box cab.
Custom box? You would think that it would fit into a regular 1987 style box.

All in, it looks like this little project is going to cost around $1000 and that would be using Classictone iron.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Custom box? You would think that it would fit into a regular 1987 style box.

All in, it looks like this little project is going to cost around $1000 and that would be using Classictone iron.
Probably would fit but Id get some measurements first. $1K for a custom built amp aint bad :yesway:

neikeel

Reaction score
The valvestorm chassis is exactly the same as an original Marshall. It will fit directly into a smallbox cabinet (JMP50/JTM50/JTM45 - all the same).
If you want to go ultra compact you can squeeze the chassis into an even smaller cabinet of 19 and 1/4 wide (18 1/2"chassis width including flanges) I think someone made one to go with a compact 1x12 to use for gigging.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
The valvestorm chassis is exactly the same as an original Marshall. It will fit directly into a smallbox cabinet (JMP50/JTM50/JTM45 - all the same).
If you want to go ultra compact you can squeeze the chassis into an even smaller cabinet of 19 and 1/4 wide (18 1/2"chassis width including flanges) I think someone made one to go with a compact 1x12 to use for gigging.
Good to know, thanks for the info. I assume that the Classic Tone stuff drops right in.

neikeel

Reaction score
Yes the classic tones do drop in. The classic tone -139 OT I have here is a leaf or two skinnier than my Drakes or Marstrans.
Check the voltage of the CT PT you buy, some have higher voltages than original.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
Yes the classic tones do drop in. The classic tone -139 OT I have here is a leaf or two skinnier than my Drakes or Marstrans.
Check the voltage of the CT PT you buy, some have higher voltages than original.
One more question. I have a 1987x, is it easy to rewire v1 so that it has a 2204 front end? I realize that I would only be able to use 2 jacks.

SpHj

Reaction score
One more question. I have a 1987x, is it easy to rewire v1 so that it has a 2204 front end? I realize that I would only be able to use 2 jacks.

While not exactly easy it’s not difficult either with a little experience. Just compare both schematics and take your time.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
While not exactly easy it’s not difficult either with a little experience. Just compare both schematics and take your time.
I took a quick look. But now I’m thinking that maybe I’ll spend some tax return money on a kit, if the IRS is open in February. I’m leaning towards Valvestorm parts, ClassicTone iron and a Sourmash 1987 style cab. I’m just waiting to hear if the chassis will fit in the standard cab, I sent them the measurements.

neikeel

Reaction score
5YJX01n.png

5YJX01n

Latest posts