Refuse to buy used: Are my fears justified?

• Thread starter mountain2012
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mountain2012

Reaction score
I don't buy used amps because I fear they have been modded by previous owners and I would have no way of knowing it while playing.

Lately I have reconsidered this mindset just to save some $$$.

In your opinion, should one hesitate to buy used amps in case they might be modded?

Sure, I can ask "Are you the original owner?" and "Has this amp been modified in any way?", but when buying used amps from retailers they haven't got a clue, and an individual does not know what the two owners before them did to the amp.

What do you think?

Giblespaul2001

Reaction score
I am just the opposite. I never buy new. I gig all my gear and I resale it when I get tired of it. I would be taking some huge losses buying new and then moving it later.However I don't want modded amps either. I ask them straight up and ask for pictures of the insides. I let them know as soon as I get the amp the first thing I am going to do is open it up. I haven't been burned yet.

erikthered76

Reaction score
my used dsl blows away the brand new MA that it replaced. then i modded it to be even more of a bad motherfucker. plenty of good used amps out there at good prices.

zenfly

Reaction score
There isn't much new that interests me at all.. I can't even tell you the great used gear I've bought..

elcid

Reaction score
who cares if it's modded if it sounds good? Anything done to the amp could always be undone.

Force235

Reaction score
Be a smart and careful buyer and you won't be burnt, almost never buy new and it's worked out great...

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Your fears are justified, especially if you are not comfortable or unfamiliar with working on amps or electronics.
Not saying this applies to you, but there are many who want a full manufacturers warranty and a guarantee their gear arrives in pristine condition.

On the other hand there are many of us who know exactly what we are purchasing when buying used, and will often times purchase used items just for one particular part.

Any time you are buying used, and the person you are buying from is not the original owner you run the risk of buying someone else's problem. There are those who worry about this and should buy new or at least at a discount new, and those who don't really care and want to buy used to save money even if it means having to dive into something to either fix it, mod it or possibly replace some part of it.

Adrian R

Reaction score
I haven't bought a new amp since 1991 when I bought a brand new 900 4500...

I have bought 12-15 used amps since...only had a small, easy fix problem with one...

I would only buy used..besides the new shit is WAY to expensive and Marshalls live forever..just got replace a ball joint here and there everyone once in awhile...

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
As long as the modded amp isn't butchered with holes and such, electronics can always be put back to original spec.

mk2 steve

Reaction score
The last new amp I bought was back in 2004, a brand new Marshall DSL head (which I still have and has been faultless). Since then I've owned loads of amps, all of them used, none (touch wood) have had any problems. Currently using two Marshall heads and a cab, all of which I picked up used. They've all been fine so far. Use some discretion when you look though - I did go to view one amp that had burn marks and was in a bad way so I passed on it. Used stuff is great though, you can find some real gems

Coronado

Reaction score
I love used gear. I like playing something for a while and keeping what I love, trading out what I didn’t like as much. There is SUCH a wealth of information and experience in this Forum, there hasn’t been any issue the guys here haven’t been able to help me out on. This may sound crazy, but I have never been disappointed by any Marshall I have owned. When I buy a used one, I take it to the shop, have it looked over, put in new tubes and anything it may need. I play it hard, but I take care of it as well. When I'm ready to pass it on to the next guy, I pass along whatever I put in it (upgraded tubes, speakers, etc...). I have been pretty happy with what I have found in some of my used Marshall purchases as well! Found some great rare tubes in my current JCM 800. Found 2 Celestion Vintage 30's in my 1960 A cab. Us Marshall guys can be a pretty generous breed. Best of luck, and if you choose to go used, I hope you are as pleasantly surprised.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I think going in, you should expect to put around $300 minimum into a used amp, having it retubed & inspected & up to spec.

That should be figured into the price you're willing to pay.

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
There is a lot of talk about modding amps on this forum, but in the real world a lot of people don't mod their amps.

I'm no tech head and don't know too much about the guts in my amps, so as soon as i get a used amp I take it to my guy to open it up and tell me what's inside. It's my security in terms of what I've just bought.

If there is nothing to be done, he doesn't charge me, just says good luck with the new amp. Often the amp will still be original but a quick "service" and new tubes gives me confidence that it is playing as well as it should. And that don't cost much for the peace of mind.

Lastly, I got an amp that had been modded. I honestly don't believe that the person I bought this from knew this (I was the third owner). My guy was able to "demod" and return the amp to original spec for only a couple of hundred bucks.

In all cases i remain way ahead of new prices (and in all cases, as a result of careful shopping, even ahead on the usual used price). I also have confidence about what's inside the box, and the integrity of the amp. And I am happy to be able to toss my guy bits of work here and there because if we don't do that he won't be here in the future.

In short, I'm more than happy to buy used. It means I can get some of those great amps that those more knowledgeable than me rave about on this forum. And I don't need to be a technical expert.

cheers

spiritdave

Reaction score
Sorry but this is silly... 99% of Marshall owners would not have the slightest idea that you can even mod an amp, let alone know how to get it done.

You're basing your decision on a forum mindset. Used is the best because you simply can't buy Marshall's best amps new.

Lowlife

Reaction score
I almost NEVER buy new...I'm too cheap, and also normally I want to sell again down the line.

The way I see it is: there is like a common pool of gear that floats around, people buy and resell from this pool with minimal losses or gains, nobody really own the gear, as it keeps wandering from person to person...It's a bit like a library, you borrow it, and upon delivery to "the pool" you get your money back.

Of course then I come a long and start drilling holes in my amps, which makes them more stationary...but in theory down the line I could unhand my JVM...the loss would most likely be greater, because noone will pay the full used price for gear modded by me...even if it IS done well.

edit: plus I rather like buying used gear, to go to some other guys practise room or home, check out their setup, chat about this and that. Here normally the price is settled beforehand, so no annoying negotiations are needed, just a nice talk with like minded people where everybody is the winner in a sense.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm too poor to buy new lol.

i save for YEARS to buy the gear i like. took me 5 of saving to get a framus cobra used at $1300. sold that and now looking to get an axe fx II but that i may have to buy new sadly.....otherwise i have enough now.