replacement pickups for Strat

• Thread starter dexter74
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dexter74

Reaction score
I have a 1986 MIJ Strat and want to replace the pu's in it. Current ones don't sound very good in my book, brittle, harsh and kind of weak overall. So for under $200 for the set, what is a good option? Been looking at the Fender Fat 50's, Texas Specials, and Dimarzio True Velvets. Would like them to get that Eric Johnson vibe, especially on the bridge pu, minus his skills of course.

Thanks.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 1986 MIJ Strat and want to replace the pu's in it. Current ones don't sound very good in my book, brittle, harsh and kind of weak overall. So for under $200 for the set, what is a good option? Been looking at the Fender Fat 50's, Texas Specials, and Dimarzio True Velvets. Would like them to get that Eric Johnson vibe, especially on the bridge pu, minus his skills of course.

Thanks.

I have a 1989 MIJ strat with stock pickups so I'm interested as well. I have been told a couple of times that the MIJ Strat pickups from that era are made by Goto and are very high quality.

poeman33

Reaction score
When it comes to options for Strat pickups...I am reminded of the late Carl Sagan. "there are billions and billions..."

I am loving my Lindy Fralin's. They are extremely articulate. Lindy likes his pickups clear, but not powerful...so that might not be your thing. I like Eric Johnson's clean sound...but I can't stand his bridge/distorted sound. It's got to be a very hot and heavily wound pickup...the kind I avoid. But if that is what you want...look for something pretty hot. Definitely not the Fender fat 50's. Texas Specials will be hotter, and they are a real nice pickup. The bridge pup on that set is hotter than the neck and middle, but still sound like a Strat.

There were so many variables on the MIJ Strats, it's hard to say exactly what were in yours originally. My 93 MIJ had ceramic pups. Although fairly hot, they were pretty harsh sounding. Just a simple change to Alnico 5 pups was a huge improvement. My personal take on pickups is to get a nice full clear sound...then just turn the amp up louder.

Marival

Reaction score
If you want a real stratty vibe with a little more punch from the bridge PU you might want to look into the Lace sensor gold set with the hot bridge.

I don't remember the exact pricing, but it should definitely be under 200 USD. Perhaps around 180.

EDIT: http://www.lacemusic.com/Hot_Golds.php

Be sure you don't mistake the Hot Gold/Hot Bridge set with the Hot Gold set. Hot Gold means all of the pups are the same, Hot Gold/Hot Bridge is the one with just a hotter bridge pup.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Me too, I'm trying to figure out a possible replacement in pickups for my MIM Strat. I am partial to the Hendrix, SRV, Frusciante blues tones.

Marshall=Awesome

Reaction score
Eric Johnson used/es a Dimarzio HS-2 wired for single coil in the bridge position of at least one of his vintage 57' strats for his signature lead sounds w/ a strat.

I think if your looking for more a vintage vibe with the hotter bridge I would go with the SSL1/SSL1/SSL5 set from Seymour Duncan. The neck and middle SSL1's have the perfect vintage strat sounds and the bridge position SSL5 has that little kick of output (without unbalancing the whole set) and a slight tweaking of more mids and less treble to sound really balanced and not tinny and overly bright. I have my tone control hooked up to it but I rarely use it unless im looking for a really smooth sound.

Vintage Staggered SSL-1 - Seymour Duncan Vintage Output

Custom Staggered SSL-5 - Seymour Duncan Medium Output

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
Lace Sensors gold,gold,blue in the bridge
Brierly's
Sliders(these are the best strat pups I've ever heard)

Peace

zenfly

Reaction score
I bought a loaded picguard from Fralin with SP-90 pickups that is killer.. They are hot with the same output as Gibson P90s.. Still sounds like a Strat just more balls.. It also came with a blender pot to get bridge/neck combo for a snorty type of tele tone..

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I really like the vintage noiseless pups from Fender.

dreyn77

Reaction score
seymore Antiquity pickups all the way!
Or 68 model fenders
OR seymore quater pound
last choice, fender noisless