• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Reusing old green on black tolex off a old cab.

• Thread starter Whatwhatringrang
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Whatwhatringrang

Reaction score
Has anyone done this and had reasonable success with it with patch jobs? I have a couple sides of 4x12 cabs of same era where the tolex is gone from moving around prior to casters. Just normal where and tear. Like a spot of side and bottom section. Not really needed in the corner cut sections as that’s still there fine . So not talking a refurbish type deal or anything big like that.

I have some great matching tolex on some same era pa cabs that would match perfect. Any secrets to doing this to slightly patch this? Maybe just leave it be but it think this would make it look a little nicer.

I know the hair dryer ,but I do not really want to break out heavy sanding or anything to extreme as these are really nice cabs missing in the usual spots. I will probably just leave it alone most likely . It is really not needed but would make it maybe look better in the one spot . Tite bond or which type of glue ?

I think maybe just leaving them be is the way here . As they do not need what you would call refurbishing . Kinda how old pinstripe where back 67/68 for the main guys using them. So this would be a negative to do here for obvious reasons. Grill cloth is defiantly not needed.

Also question regarding old broken logos and gluing them Back to one piece or so. Does not need to be perfect but some pins are missing or broke off inside . I notice on some of these old ones . Some cabs including pa spot glue residue on some of them . That looks to be very old and faded outline with this. Not sure which glue to use on the grill fabric if I did this on small spots pins are not there.

I do not want to use repro logos when I have the originals albeit with these small issues . As they are super fragile . ie I dropped one in about a foot on carpet and it broke part. I really have my doubts subjecting them to high volumes the way these cabs vibrate when playing loud. These old cabs can something else in the glue and wood in a great way. However so can new stuff .

Last edited:

Whatwhatringrang

Reaction score
You know i think I will not be doing this tolex patch .

However the old logos curious about that from people who have done this .

neikeel

Reaction score
I've glued old logos back together before and used them on heads where they can be protected a bit better.

I just used superglue. Logos on cabs always seem vulnerable to me (but then I have been known to gig mine for the right venue).