Revisiting an old friend...

• Thread starter Oldpunk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Oldpunk

Reaction score
...and one of the first unique 'hybrid' valve powered modelers, the JMD:1 50 (combo).

Shes been sitting collecting dust for a while now, got her years ago for cheap at a pawn shop for like 150 bucks. Her power tubes (EL34's) needed replacing. She never really was liked back in the day, not getting many favorable reviews. But as I plugged my go to old label PRS SE custom in, hit the standby and scrolled the knob through her different amp configs I thought...man, wow...not bad! Theres a few that stood out, the most surprising being the Mode four setting. Rich, powerful, smooth heavy saturated gains. Dropped down to D and was very impressed. Was so inspired I wrote a new tune in minutes out of the blue. Then there was the good old 2203, cant go wrong with that. Nice, very nice. A few others like the plexi/1974 clean setting werent bad at all as well.

I was thinking about getting rid of it, not that its worth much, but its just been sitting forever, taking a back seat to my DSL40 and even more so to the current USB-C modelers for direct to PC recordings. But come to think of it, I think I'll keep it. Just having another logo in the room along with its options, sound and novelty has sold me back. It's staying put.

Last edited:

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
These amp are very cool indeed! I'd love to pick up one the JMD heads when/if I find one at a good price. I don't think they made too many of them as they're hard to come by in the used market these days.

Oldpunk

Reaction score
These amp are very cool indeed! I'd love to pick up one the JMD heads when/if I find one at a good price. I don't think they made too many of them as they're hard to come by in the used market these days.
Yep I forgot how much I liked it before.

Youre right, just checked Reverb and theres just 2 listed, both 100 combo's. Rare indeed.