Rewiring Marshall 1960A as 2x12 temporarily, possible?

• Thread starter Portablefrank
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Portablefrank

Reaction score
Hi all

I’ve just picked up a Marshall 1960A cab but currently I only have 2 Celestion 16 ohm 75w greenbacks (which are not installed in the cab), I’ve got another 2 on the way but they won’t be here for a while and I’m eager to try it (and my new amp) out.

Is it possible to wire the cab as a 2x12 for the time being without any additional hardware? I’m only going to bother if it is straightforward. If so can someone hook me up with a suitable wiring diagram please?

I’ve played guitar for over 20 years but I always used combo amps and have never looked under the hood so this is new territory for me. I didn’t want to grab a 2x12 wiring diagram and just assume everything would work and the completely screw it up…

Thanks!

PF

RLW59

Reaction score
Does the cab have the switching jackplate (4/16 ohm mono, 8 ohm stereo)?

Or is it vintage-style with just a single input jack? (Or a switching jackplate that's been modified to a hardwired single impedance.)

Switching jackplate has 4 push-on connectors. I know you can use just 2 speakers with the switch set to stereo, but I'm not sure which connectors you'd hook the wires to.

Single jack (or modified hardwired switching jackplate) you can indeed use any 2x12 parallel wiring diagram.

Portablefrank

Reaction score
Does the cab have the switching jackplate (4/16 ohm mono, 8 ohm stereo)?

Or is it vintage-style with just a single input jack? (Or a switching jackplate that's been modified to a hardwired single impedance.)

Switching jackplate has 4 push-on connectors. I know you can use just 2 speakers with the switch set to stereo, but I'm not sure which connectors you'd hook the wires to.

Single jack (or modified hardwired switching jackplate) you can indeed use any 2x12 parallel wiring diagram.

It’s a single input, I think it’s an early ‘80s cab from what I’ve read online.

junk notes

Reaction score
It’s a single input, I think it’s an early ‘80s cab from what I’ve read online.
Right, your cab would be loaded with four 16Ω speakers.
Wire your cab as in the top half of the diagram below with your two free 16Ω speakers wired in Parallel giving you a total of 8Ω.
Be sure to change the impedance selector on the back of the amp to reflect the change, IOW from 16Ω to 8Ω.
plug in - crank

can someone hook me up with a suitable wiring diagram please?

edit: Thanks goes to Jim for his diagrams (and great speakers).:yesway::slash:

Last edited:

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
Hey @junk notes thanks for the kudos. Mitch Colby tells me he keeps my diagrams on his phone for wiring up his own amps/cabs. LOL

Glad they could help. Back to packing speakers.

Jim

Latest posts