Ridiculous string breakage!

• Thread starter Richardjordan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Richardjordan

Reaction score
\i keep breaking the A&D strings on BOTH my telecaster & les Paul within a fes days of fitting then. The worst case was last night at the gig - i had only fitted them the previous day?

They always break at the bridge but Ive had both guitars set up professionally, started using .73 picks and hardly ever bend the A&D strings. Ive checked for nicks on the saddle and all are smoother than a babies butt. They always snap mis strumming.

Please help guys :(

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
it sounds like you have some rough (barbs) edges on your saddles. get that looked at if you can't smooth them out. i use a dremel for work like that with the pencil tip style skinny bits then the buffer.

Richardjordan

Reaction score
Yeah, but the same 2 strings on 2 different guitars? :hmm: ...did the same guy set them both up and was it right before this problem started? That just seems weird.

yeah it was the same chap, i had the action lowered to an insane level. All looks fine but then I don't understand too much about what tension the strings are under at the saddle and how the set up can snap them.

Richardjordan

Reaction score
it sounds like you have some rough (barbs) edges on your saddles. get that looked at if you can't smooth them out. i use a dremel for work like that with the pencil tip style skinny bits then the buffer.
no barbs on the saddles - they are really smooth and rounded?

Ghostman

Reaction score
What is your string gauge and what tuning? I've seen a lot of players who use weird gauge/tuning combinations. 9's for drop C, or 13's for standard, etc.

Also, insane bends tend to cause issues. My bandmate plays with Dean Markley Blue Steels because he breaks all other brands of strings. He swears by them.

Personally I've only broken two strings both high E and they were GHS boomers.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
right at the point where the saddle ends - every time, the same place
remove the saddles and get your magnifying lense out. look all over the area of the saddle and the hole into the body. there's something going on there. they don't just magicaly break.

being that they're in the same spot consistently and strings consistently means there's some rough bits in that area most likely. and yeah it can happen with two guitars especialy of the same brand and whatnot. they are assembly made. being two different guitars, it's still possible (case in point above).

if this is to be solved you need to take it in or do the leg work. flip those saddles upside down/remove them, look in to all the spots carefuly that they would make contact and break at. maybe you got a couple bad batches of strings, it happens but something's going on for this to be consistent. it's very possible your technique's the issue as well. many great players don't do it "correctly".

just because it looks smooth doesn't mean it is for that matter. bust out the optic wear or take it to a tech.

Richardjordan

Reaction score
What is your string gauge and what tuning? I've seen a lot of players who use weird gauge/tuning combinations. 9's for drop C, or 13's for standard, etc.

Also, insane bends tend to cause issues. My bandmate plays with Dean Markley Blue Steels because he breaks all other brands of strings. He swears by them.

Personally I've only broken two strings both high E and they were GHS boomers.

D'addario 11-49's blues/jazz rock (iused to use the 10's butn upped due the the breakage). Ill order a set of Markleys as well as giving the saddle a review.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
D'addario 11-49's blues/jazz rock (iused to use the 10's butn upped due the the breakage). Ill order a set of Markleys as well as giving the saddle a review.
you know, i had bad luck with breakage when i used D'adarrio's... i also didn't know how to set up my axes then though but i treid them again recently and had breakage. i use SIT and DR's now.

Richardjordan

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions - ill try different brands over the next few sets and double check the set up.:applause:

PS how do i add my guitar list/amps etc to the bottom of my posts? been looking through the profile part but nothing stands out :naughty:

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions - ill try different brands over the next few sets and double check the set up.:applause:

PS how do i add my guitar list/amps etc to the bottom of my posts? been looking through the profile part but nothing stands out :naughty:
it's the one that says edit signature:)

sure thing man, i hope you get it situated, i know how frustrating that can be.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've used D'addario strings for 30 years on electric and acoustic and I've never had a problem with strings breaking. I can't even remember the last time I broke one...just sayin'. :)

Richardjordan

Reaction score
I've used D'addario strings for 30 years on electric and acoustic and I've never had a problem with strings breaking. I can't even remember the last time I broke one...just sayin'. :)

Im questioning my technique - but then I am also playing alot more than previous but that still doesnt explain them breaking after a couple of hours play on occasion. Maybe my style suits a tougher brand - the blue steels seem to get good reviews for being quite durable.

Cheers for the suggestion though :fingersx:

Latest posts