Rockerverb vs JVM410H vs Dual Rectifier vs 6505...

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I thought it would be both fun and useful to compare the sounds of some of my 'BIG boy' amps so I chose 4 that are relatively popular. We've got the Orange Rockerverb 50 MKIII, the Marshall JVM410H, the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and the Peavey 6505. They obviously don't share the same wattage ratings but they're all pretty big, loud and high-gain! Most of them are pretty versatile too though!

So we're doing clean tones with the neck pickup on my Gibson Les Paul Classic, which is a Classic 57 pickup to be exact. Crunch tones with that same guitar but with the bridge pickup, which is a Super 57. Heavy rock tones with my ESP LTD NW-44, which has a Bareknuckle Aftermath in it. And also downtuned baritone metal with my ESP LTD EC401B with EMG's.

It's pretty hard to pick a favorite but I guess I like the Orange Rockerverb the most across the board. The Marshall has a nice chunk and midrange definition/presence though, the Recto sounds cool for the Rock stuff and the 6505 has a very big roar in the high-gain department.

What do you guys think?

lonewolfsx

Reaction score
Cool video! I have all of these amps, except the JVM which I just sold a couple of days ago.

Using IR's and especially in the mix is a big equalizer. I find the differences between them very pronounced in the room with the same cab, not as clear of a difference in the video though. I like the segments with the same IR and isolated guitar tracks a lot for telling the differences between them. Also, proof that with the right speakers and some great playing, you can get great tones out of any amp really. I love your crunch playing style, I need to go practice more!

It's still a lot of fun to compare, I've described it to non-guitar players as something akin to wine tasting - it's obviously all wine, but we enthusiasts appreciate even the tiniest differences, like a work of art.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
The Orange really excels at the gainy tones for sure with lots of attack, the JVM comes in 2nd.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Cool video! I have all of these amps, except the JVM which I just sold a couple of days ago.

Using IR's and especially in the mix is a big equalizer. I find the differences between them very pronounced in the room with the same cab, not as clear of a difference in the video though. I like the segments with the same IR and isolated guitar tracks a lot for telling the differences between them. Also, proof that with the right speakers and some great playing, you can get great tones out of any amp really. I love your crunch playing style, I need to go practice more!

It's still a lot of fun to compare, I've described it to non-guitar players as something akin to wine tasting - it's obviously all wine, but we enthusiasts appreciate even the tiniest differences, like a work of art.

Comparing is so much fun! :)

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
I’ve owned or still own all of these except the 6505 where I had an original Block letter Peavey 5150. All excellent. I still have my JVM410HJS and a Rockerverb 50W 2x12 Combo. Sold the others. The Rockerverb and JVM are off the hook outstanding. I love both but when it’s time to plug-in I gravitate to the JVM more often.

Willsy182

Reaction score
For me the Orange just won based on its clean tones, was awesome, just pipping the JVM. The Mesa surprisingly sounds ordinary to me on the high gain channels, didn’t like it at all. The Peavey sounded rubbish to me the whole video.

lonewolfsx

Reaction score
For me the Orange just won based on its clean tones, was awesome, just pipping the JVM. The Mesa surprisingly sounds ordinary to me on the high gain channels, didn’t like it at all. The Peavey sounded rubbish to me the whole video.

I agree on the Peavey, it does this certain mid-heavy high gain sound really really well though and that wasn't really showcased in this particular video. I'm sure a more metal-oriented channel would show some great tones out of it but you'd have to be into *that* sound.
Same thing with the Mesa, I love mine but only for this really specific type of tone where it's just a wall of bees type distortion, which can be really useful in certain situations, or if you're into nu-metal type stuff. Roll the gain down and add a boost and it's articulate and punchy with less fizz. Great amp but not as immediately satisfying out of the box I think, compared to the JVM which feels like it has a tube screamer on just, all the time.