SC20 or SV20

Hebaton

Reaction score
Need Help !
Today tok an SV20H to practice. coulddn't get the creamy saturation I crave becaus the guys kept asking me to turn it down. NOw, I know the SC20H is Master volume. I don not like Ice picky tones and wanted to try the SV20 thinking it would be less agressive but, now I am wondering if the SC might be the better proposition. I am looking for 60'S 70's classic rock tones up to AC/DC but nothing more...

Opinions please ?

junk notes

Reaction score
Two great amps!
Have you tried using a preamp or overdrive in the front? I would start there. Then there are other ways, but not always favored.
It would offer a little more control whether you had an SV or an SC.

Hebaton

Reaction score
Did try an OD in front, still would gry very loud before I got where I wanted...

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Between those 2 amps, the simplest setup for what you're describing would be the SC20, due to the fact that it has a master volume. With the SV20, you'll need more gear, of which I'd recommend a good attenuator. If you don't want to purchase an attenuator, you'll need to drop the volume and use a drive pedal (little to no output tube distortion).

Last edited:

Hebaton

Reaction score
THe more I lsten to SC20 demos, the more I think I will find it entirely too bright !
I just cant stand icepicky, highs. Maybe I should lood enrirely else where. I want creamy snooth saturation...

Gaz Baker

Reaction score
Between those 2 amps, the simplest setup for what you're describing would be the SC20, due to the fact that it has a master volume. With the SV20, you'll need more gear, of which I'd recommend a good attenuator. If you don't want to purchase an attenuator, you'll need to drop the volume and use a drive pedal (no output tube distortion).

Bang on the money!

THe more I lsten to SC20 demos, the more I think I will find it entirely too bright !
I just cant stand icepicky, highs. Maybe I should lood enrirely else where. I want creamy snooth saturation...

Bright? Ice picky?
That's why they have tone controls.
A lot of what people miss here, is that these amps sound best cranked.

However, that doesn't mean to say there's no good tones at lower volumes. As mentioned, an OD in front will give more diversity, as will an EQ in either the loop, or in front.

Also, watching youtube videos is misleading.
Not only are you listening to someone else's setup, IE: pickups, pedals, recording device, etc...., but listening to raw guitar demo's (unproduced/mastered) through consumer speakers is like coloring with crayons.
The speakers are made to color sound, and mostly give a bad representation of the real tone, IMO.

Best to test drive an amp for accuracy if you're able, to make a calculated choice for yourself.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
You have the SV20, I have both the SV and SC, so I can tell you that the SC20 is no brighter than the SV20.

Hebaton

Reaction score
SO you'Re saying it only has more gain + the advantage of Master volume ?

Hebaton

Reaction score
Buy the way, I on;y borrowed the SV for the week-end. I need to order, nothing stock here and no occasion to audition the SC...

Hebaton

Reaction score
THinking I may go with a DR Z antidote anyone try one ?

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I have the SV20H. Your issue is why the master volume came to pass but from the tones you're describing you've got the right amp. For a more saturated tone in those situations you can try plugging into the normal side and push it with a pedal.

What cabinet and speakers are you using? There's a way to tame the volume there.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
SO you'Re saying it only has more gain + the advantage of Master volume ?
Aside from the obvious differences (SV having 4 configurable inputs, SC having a master volume...), they are not that far apart, tone-wise. I wouldn't even say the SC has more gain, they are very close in that respect.

Hebaton

Reaction score
maybe what I want is a JTM45... to get what I'm saying ?

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I see now you don't own it.

Like mentioned above, your simplest way to go about using one of the studios is to go with a master volume model. I have the 2525H as well as the SV20H so give that one a look as well as the SC.

One thing to consider and this is how i "attenuate" the volume of the SV is to use different speaker efficiencies and sizes. Different cabinets. Dare i say don't be scared to try 10s as well as 12s.

Hebaton

Reaction score
NOpe, maybe I can borrow one. What about the 2525, will it do what I want at manageble volumes ?