Serial Number For Early 80s 100w Jcm800

Komodo

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1981 JCM800 2203 that has a serial number beginning with S/A. Every source I can find states that S/A is the designation for the 50W model, and that SL/A would be used for 100W.

1. During which years did Marshall make 100W amps with the S/A number rather than SL/A?

2. Where can I find reliable information about this online? It seems strange that every site reports the same information which is obviously not entirely accurate.

3. Do all 50W amps have a serial number starting with S/A, or did they have something different when the S/A was used for the 100W amps?

I appreciate any light you can shed on this.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1981 JCM800 2203 that has a serial number beginning with S/A. Every source I can find states that S/A is the designation for the 50W model, and that SL/A would be used for 100W.

1. During which years did Marshall make 100W amps with the S/A number rather than SL/A?

2. Where can I find reliable information about this online? It seems strange that every site reports the same information which is obviously not entirely accurate.

3. Do all 50W amps have a serial number starting with S/A, or did they have something different when the S/A was used for the 100W amps?

I appreciate any light you can shed on this.
:welcome: To the best forum ever new brother, be patient others here will chime in on your question, I am sorry I cannot answer this for you! Cheers Mitch

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
I have two from 1996, a 50 and a 100, both start with an S/A. Hope that’s helpful.

Komodo

Reaction score
I have two from 1996, a 50 and a 100, both start with an S/A. Hope that’s helpful.
Somewhat.... I don't really understand why various websites say that S/A means 50W when it is clearly used for 100W as well, and over a long period of time.

geddy

Reaction score
Contact Marshall in Milton Keynes. I'm sure their archivist would be able to help

Komodo

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant to say mine are from 1986.
Yeah, I figured that from the info in your signature block. And the fact that they didn't make 800s in '96.

Contact Marshall in Milton Keynes. I'm sure their archivist would be able to help

Have sent them an email. Hopefully I'll hear back in a couple of days.

It's just a bit strange that so many websites quote false info regarding the serial numbers. I mean, if you can't trust what you read on the internet, then what can you trust?! ;)