Setting suggestions.

• Thread starter TMR
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TMR

Reaction score
Hi
I've just taken delivery of a DSL40cr which I bought for my son as a 13th birthday present. Can anybody please suggest some decent settings to get a great AC/DC sound from it??
Many thanks

svinyard

Reaction score
If I recall this is about what I do.

Red Classic Channel:

Gain - 9 o clock
Bass - 8 o clock (its got a lot of bass so you are trying to keep it dialed back enough so it's not flubbing out on the harder hitting low notes)
Resonance - 8 o clock
Mids, Treble, Presence at noon and work from there. The amp is a little scooped so trying to get more mids and a little more treble out of it without going shrill. You can try pushing the presence for more bite in the tone maybe. The Plexi's that Angus played were def bright amps.

You have to experiment with Master Volume vs Channel (preamp) volume. Usually I start with both and noon and roll back from there, but it's loud and most people are running the amp at super low volumes where the preamp is doing all the gain. DSL does amazing job at that but your tone and stuff will be different when turned up.

I like to listen to Angus isolated Live (no studio magic!) when dialing in a tone a bit. It's fun and educational.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Hi
I've just taken delivery of a DSL40cr which I bought for my son as a 13th birthday present. Can anybody please suggest some decent settings to get a great AC/DC sound from it??
Many thanks
Congratulations and happy NAD! Crunch mode on the Classic Gain channel has some of the best tones. Probably best to just set everything else to 1200 o'clock and start tweaking. In band settings, I found turning the bass and treble to 9:00 o'clock and the midrange to 3:00 o'clock allowed the amp to cut through the mix best. Presence and Resonance offer some nice tonal variations as well. Btw, you'll need the six-button pedal to get the most out of the amp, such as assigning the Classic Gain Clean mode to one of the Master Volumes and the three other modes to the other so you don't get a huge drop in volume when you change channels. The supplied two-button one only changes channels and turns the FX loop off and on.

TMR

Reaction score
If I recall this is about what I do.

Red Classic Channel:

Gain - 9 o clock
Bass - 8 o clock (its got a lot of bass so you are trying to keep it dialed back enough so it's not flubbing out on the harder hitting low notes)
Resonance - 8 o clock
Mids, Treble, Presence at noon and work from there. The amp is a little scooped so trying to get more mids and a little more treble out of it without going shrill. You can try pushing the presence for more bite in the tone maybe. The Plexi's that Angus played were def bright amps.

You have to experiment with Master Volume vs Channel (preamp) volume. Usually I start with both and noon and roll back from there, but it's loud and most people are running the amp at super low volumes where the preamp is doing all the gain. DSL does amazing job at that but your tone and stuff will be different when turned up.

I like to listen to Angus isolated Live (no studio magic!) when dialing in a tone a bit. It's fun and educational.

Thanks for that👍🏻 We've had to send it back to the shop because of an out of the box fault, but soon as the replacement arrives we will dial in and give it a whirl!!

TMR

Reaction score
Congratulations and happy NAD! Crunch mode on the Classic Gain channel has some of the best tones. Probably best to just set everything else to 1200 o'clock and start tweaking. In band settings, I found turning the bass and treble to 9:00 o'clock and the midrange to 3:00 o'clock allowed the amp to cut through the mix best. Presence and Resonance offer some nice tonal variations as well. Btw, you'll need the six-button pedal to get the most out of the amp, such as assigning the Classic Gain Clean mode to one of the Master Volumes and the three other modes to the other so you don't get a huge drop in volume when you change channels. The supplied two-button one only changes channels and turns the FX loop off and on.

Thank you for your time in replying. BTW what is NAD?

TMR

Reaction score
New Amp Day.

We go in for NADs far more than birthdays around here.
NGD = New Guitar Day
NPD = New Pedal Day
NTTFSSPD = New Ten To FortySix String Pack Day

You get the picture :hmm:
🤣😎Ok, got yer!

ByrdmanFL

Reaction score
Just dont over-do the gain knob and you should be good. Pretty easy to dial in AC/DC tones with my DSL.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Thank you for your time in replying. BTW what is NAD?
You're welcome! Sorry for the acronyms...new amp day. You'll also see NGD (new guitar day), NCD (new cab day), and occasionally NPD (new pedal day) on the forum.

svinyard

Reaction score
Here's a decent rundown that mirrors a lot of what I've found as well. This guy is gaining things up a lot (which the 40CR combo doesn't handle as well as head+cab) so I'd back that down to avoid flubby lowend. But you get a feel for it. (it's the 100w version but settings you'll use will be similar)

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Hi, does it have to be the Marshall 6 switch pedal? Or can I use a generic one?
Someone may correct me, but I don't think there is a 'generic' jack plug one.

There is a MIDI pedal that might be the best 'generic' option.

A guy recently posted all over the place here with a MIDI version he made himself.
Not sure if he did it for the savings, challenge or necessity.

I have a PEDL-91016 but rarely use it with my 40CR since I went 4CM MIDI with a BOSS GT-100.
I still can't get MV of FX Loop switching with the BOSS GT though (ran out of available switches), but I don't need them.

There was another guy who took a saw to his 91016 to cut off the MV and FX switch end.
If I find that one, I'll post it.

Reactions: TMR

Latest posts