Should I ? 1988 Marshall JCM 800 2203 !

Studiocat13

Reaction score
OK Guys, I found what looks to be a good deal on a 1988 2203 with matching 800 cab. It looks very clean and shows no signs of heavy mods from what I can see in the pics and the guy ssaid it works perfectly. They are asking 1600.00 and i would like to try and get that lower or course but wanted to get some input from you gurus before i pull the trigger. Thanks in advance for your help !

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
OK Guys, I found what looks to be a good deal on a 1988 2203 with matching 800 cab. It looks very clean and shows no signs of heavy mods from what I can see in the pics and the guy ssaid it works perfectly. They are asking 1600.00 and i would like to try and get that lower or course but wanted to get some input from you gurus before i pull the trigger. Thanks in advance for your help !
That’s what they ask for the head in my neck of the woods, as long as is unmolested I say go for it

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s sounds like a great price to me, especially if it’s in good condition and no mods.

If I was in the market for a full size JCM800 head and cab, and this came along,.....in good condition and no mods,...I think I’d jump on it.

m1989jmp

Reaction score

Go for it, you won't find gear as good as that anymore except for handmade stuff these days.

Studiocat13

Reaction score
Thanks guys ! So I know there were differences on the 2204 through the years but were the 2203 units pretty much the same or is there something I should be aware of on the 1988 model ?

ampmadscientist

Reaction score

I wouldn't buy it without looking inside the chassis. It might be a horrendous hack job.
You have no clue what you are paying for, until you see the insides.

ApathyForum

Reaction score
Thanks guys ! So I know there were differences on the 2204 through the years but were the 2203 units pretty much the same or is there something I should be aware of on the 1988 model ?

Marshall changed the 2203 in about 1985 by reducing the number of filter caps. There were originally six, but were cut down to 3 or four in the later models.

I haven’t played an early 2203 next to a later one to hear the difference, but some people say the tone suffered as a result of a reduction in the filter caps.

Studiocat13

Reaction score
Marshall changed the 2203 in about 1985 by reducing the number of filter caps. There were originally six, but were cut down to 3 or four in the later models.

I haven’t played an early 2203 next to a later one to hear the difference, but some people say the tone suffered as a result of a reduction in the filter caps.
Interesting, never heard of that one. I know there were differences between the 2204 vertical vs horizontal input models but this is a new one. I guess that could effect tone some what but with that said I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to add a couple extra caps if needed. Thanks for the info as I will certainly look into that !

Slammintone

Reaction score
A friend has an anniversary white 2203 from 1987. It is the ballsiest, heaviest sounding rock amp imaginable. It made my 87 2204 sound stillborn in comparison lol. I wouldn’t put anything negative against it for having less filter caps. The horizontal inputs signify that the pots for the front controls are soldered to the pcb directly vs using wires to connect them. 32 years later everything still works fine so again, I wouldn’t let that scare you away. It may sound a little different, but it’s still a classic and a monster and I would buy one like that over a new 2203 easily.

ApathyForum

Reaction score
Interesting, never heard of that one. I know there were differences between the 2204 vertical vs horizontal input models but this is a new one. I guess that could effect tone some what but with that said I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to add a couple extra caps if needed. Thanks for the info as I will certainly look into that !

This site explains the reduction in filter capacitors in the later 2203s.

https://legendarytones.com/marshall-shoppers-guide-2/

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
I think the 50 2204’s always had three filter caps, the 100 watters had 6 at first. My ‘86 2204 (and 2203) sounds great don’t be afraid of the horizontal inputs and the 3 filter caps.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Board mounted input jacks, pots. And a reduction in filter cans from 6 to 3 in the post 85ish 2203's. 2204s still had the same number of cans. I have had both 3 can horz. and 6 can vert. 2203's and imo, at least with the amps I have had, both sounded the same. I think alot of the horz/ vert thing is corksniffery.

Yea..board mounted pots, I've Seen quite a few amps with and without board mounted pots n jacks, and the only one I have seen with a pot to board failure was a 87 2205, which has the pcb partially secured to the chassis by the pots. Just a bad design.

Imo the board mounted pot shunning is just overblown internet propaganda as well...

you used to be able to get horizontal 800 for almost half of what vertical 800s were going for, but I think the masses are realizing most of the scare is just bullshit..and prices are getting closer. That and 800s are way overpriced anyway..lol.

Last edited: