Should I give Tung Sol EL34s a try?

• Thread starter matttornado
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

matttornado

Reaction score
I been using Ruby BSTR EL34s for a year now & they are great and hold up well unlike EH & JJs.:ugh:

The supplier I buy from is out if stock of Rubys so should I try the the Tung Sols? How reliable are they & how do they sound coming from the Marshall experts here on the forum? I read that they sound great.....

I have 100 watt 1959 Superlead with a B+ of 480V.

Thanks!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
TAD's get good reviews. They did a quick test on the JJ Telefunkens (on here). They are supposed to be pretty good & they are cryogenically treated, so supposedly they have a better heat strength (longer life). TAD also has a cryo treated tube available...

Some places still have stock of =C=.

I guess it depends on what part of the world you live on who's the most convenient dealer/supplier...

matttornado

Reaction score
I had =C= before....Over rated IMO. They didn't sound any better than JJs or EH to be honest, at least in MY amp anyway. Maybe more durable?

Actually, I think the JJ 6CA7s sounded the best but they didn't last very long.

Yes from what I learned, TAD's are re-tested and re-labeled Ruby tubes but a little more expensive.

I'm concerned that the Tung Sols will **** the bed early like all of the other stuff from New Sensor Corp. I tried. So far it seems that the Chinese are making better quality tubes. Does that seem to be what a lot of other people are finding out?

Ken

Reaction score
I been using Ruby BSTR EL34s for a year now & they are great and hold up well unlike EH & JJs.:ugh:

The supplier I buy from is out if stock of Rubys so should I try the the Tung Sols? How reliable are they & how do they sound coming from the Marshall experts here on the forum? I read that they sound great.....

I have 100 watt 1959 Superlead with a B+ of 480V.

Thanks!

I've used both and I can't tell the difference; both are great for inexpensive CP tubes. I'm using Ruby now because they were cheaper last time I replaced them. I've never had a PT failure but I also change them every 2 years or less.

Ken

Adrian R

Reaction score
The T/Sol EL-34Bs are the best most authentic sounding CP EL-34 on the market right now...my opinion anyway...

They will sound allot like the Rubys you've had but better with a more pronounced, deeper low end...awesome mids...VERY EL-34 like...

However, if you want essentially the same tube as your Rubys...for less money...

buy Shuguang or Sino EL-34Bs..

Same tube... Get them from the tube store or tube depot...they will be properly matched like the Rubys you've had.

Personally I would get the Tungsols instead...been reliable for me...and they sound better...

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Could you give us a report back on what you get and how they sound and work out for you?

I will be even more curious to hear how the Tung Sol tubes works out if you get those. I bought one set of the Tung Sol EL34B's and put them in my '97 6100. I did notice as Adrian stated that they have pronounced lows or possibly more in the low mids. But I am on the fence if I like them over the Chinese EL34/Ruby EL34 BSTR. To be honest, I have not played that amp much since loading those tubes in there. I might possibly pull them from that 6100 and put them in my new Plexi/2204 project when I get her going. That is if I do not go with KT66 instead.

:D

I am also very curious to hear the new JJ EL34 II . . . .

Adrian R

Reaction score
:D

I am also very curious to hear the new JJ EL34 II . . . .

Wow...what is this? Didn't even know there was such a thing! I wonder if it would be any different then the other JJ tubes I had in the past...

I use to really like JJs...were always reliable for me with decent tone..

but then I heard a set of real Tesla EL-34s from the late 1980s, and heard what I considered the most authentic EL-34 sound...like what I grew up hearing on countless recording and in live shows.

The standard 'JJ' new Tesla tube sounded like a hybrid to me after that.

The Tungsol and Chinese variant was the closest sounding tube to what those original Teslas produced.

I wonder if these new EL-34s are closer to what the original Tesla EL-34 was..

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not heard too much on this new JJ. But there a few people here have tried them. Wish there was more info on them. If I can swing the $ I might just pick some up for my new build as I love having extra glass anyway. And always like having a variety to experiment with.

I have to say that my favorite current production EL34 is the Groove Tube EL34M. They have that incredible midrange crunch and with great clarity, just like Wing C but with tighter low mids and lows that are a bit less in your face that makes them more focused and less mushy when you get them cooking a bit. These tubes sound outstanding if you can get them pushed a bit. Installed them in my Silver Jubilee 2555 and they matched up well with that amp. But the reliability is yet to be seen. I know a few people here love these GT M's as well. Would like to hear from them regarding longevity.

Adrian R

Reaction score
I have to say that my favorite current production EL34 is the Groove Tube EL34M.

I had a matched pair of those years ago and THEY WERE awesome sounding tubes! HOWEVER, the lasted for 30 mins in a DSL50, red plated, and died.

It took GT over two months to reply to my email looking for a replacement. By then I had long moved on to something else and simply forgot about them.

MF wouldn't replace them!:mad:

I have been Leary of that tube ever since...

How has the reliability been for you?

Also, GT as you know, are repackaged CP tubes made by New Sensor Corp. Just like the Shuguang EL-34B is the SAME TUBE as a Ruby EL-34B...what New Sensor tube do you think the GT 'EL-34M' is??

EADGBE

Reaction score
I have to say that my favorite current production EL34 is the Groove Tube EL34M. They have that incredible midrange crunch and with great clarity, just like Wing C but with tighter low mids and lows that are a bit less in your face that makes them more focused and less mushy when you get them cooking a bit. These tubes sound outstanding if you can get them pushed a bit. Installed them in my Silver Jubilee 2555 and they matched up well with that amp. But the reliability is yet to be seen. I know a few people here love these GT M's as well. Would like to hear from them regarding longevity.
My GT EL34Ms lasted about a year and then blew a fuse. It was probably my fault though. I believe I was adjusting the speaker cable when the fuse blew. But they were great sounding. I just put some new JJ EL34s in and I think I may like the GT EL34s better. But it may be too close to call.

Last edited:

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
My GT EL34Ms lasted about a year and then blew a fuse. But they were great sounding. I just put some new JJ EL34s in and I think I may like the GT EL34s better. But it may be too close to call.

Did you go with the standard JJ EL34's or the JJ E34L's? I have more experience with the JJ E34L as they seem a bit more bold in the lows. But I had an outstanding experience with those standard JJ EL34's in an old Traynor amp. They were incredible sounding in that amp, much better than other makes of EL34.

EADGBE

Reaction score
I went with the regular JJ EL34. I tried the JJ E34L and found them too tight sounding. The regular JJ EL34 may be my favorite since SED stop making tubes.

EndGame00

Reaction score
I prefer the Mullard reissue than the Tungsol. The Mullard is warmer to my ears. Tungol are slightly louder and punchier, has more note definition especially if you're an alternate picking eccentric.

I use the Mullard power tubes in conjunction with my Tungsol 12ax7's