Should I Trade My Jcm 900mkiii For A Jcm 2000 50w Dsl?

• Thread starter zack603
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

marshalled

Reaction score
NO ! don't do it! MKIII is the natural daughter of JCM800 ....sound vintage e hot respect a DSL!

DSL is like a mosquito! zgzgzgzgzgzgzgzgz :D the only channel that I save on DSL is a green channel STOP!
If you want 1 channel clean amp do it ! MKIII RULES:shred2: !!

Joe2000

Reaction score
I had both at the same time and the JCM900 mkiii is a better sounding amp for mid to high level gain. Don't swap it.
Get it serviced, change tubes and set it up right. It does its job better side by side. My opinion.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
I live over in Sanford and would l would trade you straight up for my 100 watt DSL 2000, after few weeks if you want your amp back no problem.
I have a 50 watt MKIII and would love one more.

This is awesome. :yesway:

JCMDOUG

Reaction score
I would hate to see you trade and have them sell it if you change your mind. I say until you take it home and crank it, then pick.

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
I didn't have the Mkiii, but I used to have the JCM900 DR and now have the JCM 2000 DSL50. I got my 2001 DSL for $525 a couple of years ago and it is in great condition.

You mentioned that you are wanting a high gain amp". The JCM900 that I had had more of a "modern" high end gain that I liked and used for a 90's cover band. It didn't have much base an could be hard on the ears when I was playing by myself but that wasn't a problem in a band situation. The DSL had much more bass and has a better crunch than the 900. The high gain channel is a tad fizzy and has to be dialed in right to get a good sound. I never used the Ultra sound just because I can't get a good sound.

Bottom line to me is that the high gain channels are different. I like the clean and crunch channel better on the DSL, but I liked the high gain channel better on the 900. If you can, I would try and keep your 900 especially since the mk iii is getting harder to find. The DSL in your local store is asking too much.

zack603

Reaction score
im thinking for now im just going to get an eq pedal to throw in the fx loop and probably play around with some different tubes...

zack603

Reaction score
I live over in Sanford and would l would trade you straight up for my 100 watt DSL 2000, after few weeks if you want your amp back no problem.
I have a 50 watt MKIII and would love one more.
does you 900 have any mods?

zack603

Reaction score
what do mkiii's go for in other areas??? I bought mine with a 1960 lead slant 4x12 for $900

GuitarMutant

Reaction score
what do mkiii's go for in other areas??? I bought mine with a 1960 lead slant 4x12 for $900
That would be considered a HELLUVA deal where I'm from!
I got lucky with a MK III a few years back for $700. Sold it on eBay auction for $1200. Just the head! It was mint, but still... they seem to go for a lot more than $900 for the half stack. I wish I still had mine.

zack603

Reaction score
and I got mine from some guy who basically collected stacks and guitars and he only had like pristine stuff, other than a little crack in the plastic around the vent in the top of the head the tolex for both and the front of the cab are in mint condition, it came with JJ tubes though so I think I might do some research and try and find some tubes that will bring it a little closer to what I want it to sound like

JCMDOUG

Reaction score
The goal was to see how much of the JCM800 tone I could get and to increase the balls/punch of the amp. lots of Marshall amps go after that 800 tone but the power amp section has been held back. The MKiii has about a 47k resistor in the neg feedback signal to help keep the power amp clean, the SLX is about the same. I read on the JVM forum that the 2203 resistor is 176k in the signal path to the phase inverter, other 800s had 100k so much less neg feedback going to the phase inverter than the MKiii.
Neg feedback is a signal coming from your speaker output to the phase inverter, 180 out of phase to reduce the signal hitting the phase inverter. It works like noise canceling head phones, so my 1st mod was to match the signal level of the 2203. The choke makes the tone more full and a bit less compressed. The mods only costs $30. I also did lots of tube rolling to get the right mix of 12ax7s/EL34s and I run a jumper cable in the loop. The I have a few shows over a Old Orchard Beach June 4th and June 18th if you want to hear it let me know. I will use it on the 18th in the KISS tribute, on the 4th I use my JVM or JMD for the cover band but I have used the MKiii before and it rocks.