Single Greenback for Origin 20H?

• Thread starter Matthewthomas
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently picked up an Origin 20H. I’m currently playing it through the Seventy 80 internal speaker of my Fender Deluxe amp. It actually sounds great to me which will probably indicate that I’m not picky and/or don’t know better yet, based on all the trash talk I hear concerning the Seventy 80.

Anyhow, I’m thinking of getting a 1x12 cab to be my dedicated speaker for a sort of portable rig and also have the sound I’m looking for, which is essentially 60s British blues rock (Kossoff, Clapton, Peter Green, Jimmy Page, the usuals…)

I’m thinking of getting a Traynor DarkHorse 1x12, just because it’s affordable and has a Greenback in it. It’s also made in Canada where I’m located, and I like that it can be closed back or opened up at the back.

I know people will probably tell me to get a 2x12 for better sound, or that a 25w greenback won’t have enough power handling for an Origin 20 cranked, but for now I want just a 1x12 for portability, and I will never even get close to cranking it, I wouldn’t even turn it all the way up on the medium power setting. So apart from those concerns do you think this is an okay option? Is there something better out there? If I’m going with a single speaker, is it absolutely necessary I get more power handling even for medium volume? From what I hear I feel like a greenback sound would be best…

Thanks in advance

phase27

Reaction score
You'll hear that you need at least a 40w speaker for a 20w amp. But I played a Greenback with my DSL20 for a long time with no issues. Mostly low volume but occasionally pretty loud with a band, and it did fine.

I have also heard that GB's are better in 2x12 than 1x12, but that's also true of every speaker. I'd give it a shot if the Greenback is the sound you are after! (I personally found that I liked the Creamback or the V Type better, but all depends on what you are going for). Check out Zilla cabs channel for Greenback compared to others.

It'll be a big improvement over the 70/80 either way!

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
What speaker you choose really depends on what tone the amp is giving you, and how you want to shape it. Traynor makes good cabinets, but if you're buying a new one, you have lots of choices. it's pretty easy to change a speaker out. You can do it. Why not get yourself a new or used Marshall cabinet and simply change the speaker. I've changed every Seventy 80 speaker I've ever gotten in something by the way.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think you need to worry too much about a 20 watt Greenback with a 20 watt Marshall, unless you’re running at full bore all the time.

But having a choice like you do, I wouldn’t do it.

If you’ve decided on a 1-12, Why not get a G12M-65 Creamback instead of a Greenback? I’ve got a Creamback in a 1-12 cab that I use with a 20 watt Marshall.

But I prefer a Creamback to a Greenback anyway, Greenbacks sound great when there’s more than just one, imo.

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine.
Marshall puts a G12M-25 in the 20w Studio Jubilee 2525C.
If they were smokin' speakers left and right, you'd probably hear about it.
BTW, greenbacks are the PERFECT speaker for the Origin20 (imho...) :yesway:
And yes, 2 greenbacks are better than 1.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
Wow, it wasn’t that long ago, (3 years maybe), that those Marshall MX112R cabs were $249, new, with free shipping too!
:eek:

Yep. those days are gone. Supply chain problems, manufacturing costs, economy, etc... have changed the price of many things. As I'm sure everyone has noticed already. And with major events about to happen sometime coming up, things should be in even shorter supply and more expensive.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
This is kinda nice. I'm not really that familiar with that Celestion version made for Marshall. A 16ohm though, Marshall Marquee 12" Celestion speaker. Might go well with that head.

a3vqa6cpkvbtmbeuxz7f.webp

Last edited:

tonycaster

Reaction score
I've had the Origin 20h for a while with a 1x12 G12M Greenback 25w, but didn't like it, it was too bright and pierce and the bass freq were a bit muddy. I put a Creamback G12M65 and never looked back. Personal taste though...

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently picked up an Origin 20H. I’m currently playing it through the Seventy 80 internal speaker of my Fender Deluxe amp. It actually sounds great to me which will probably indicate that I’m not picky and/or don’t know better yet, based on all the trash talk I hear concerning the Seventy 80.

Anyhow, I’m thinking of getting a 1x12 cab to be my dedicated speaker for a sort of portable rig and also have the sound I’m looking for, which is essentially 60s British blues rock (Kossoff, Clapton, Peter Green, Jimmy Page, the usuals…)

I’m thinking of getting a Traynor DarkHorse 1x12, just because it’s affordable and has a Greenback in it. It’s also made in Canada where I’m located, and I like that it can be closed back or opened up at the back.

I know people will probably tell me to get a 2x12 for better sound, or that a 25w greenback won’t have enough power handling for an Origin 20 cranked, but for now I want just a 1x12 for portability, and I will never even get close to cranking it, I wouldn’t even turn it all the way up on the medium power setting. So apart from those concerns do you think this is an okay option? Is there something better out there? If I’m going with a single speaker, is it absolutely necessary I get more power handling even for medium volume? From what I hear I feel like a greenback sound would be best…

Thanks in advance
I have an old 1973 'Greyback" (same speaker) in a 1 x 12 that I use for both an Origin 20h and a SV20h. Sounds great and it won't break. The rated wattage for Greenback is continuous power handling with the peak probably nearer 45w. Overtime this will damage the speaker, but you would have to play on full volume all the time.

tschrama

Reaction score
I think a greenback would sound great and will deliver an old school sound. That being said, a seventy-80 sounds great too albeit with somewhat less character.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
I've had the Origin 20h for a while with a 1x12 G12M Greenback 25w, but didn't like it, it was too bright and pierce and the bass freq were a bit muddy. I put a Creamback G12M65 and never looked back. Personal taste though...
One other option I see is a mesa 1x10 with g10 creamback, which woild
Be a cool option because I hear great things about creambacks and it would be super portable for jamming, but I don’t know if the 10” creambacks retain the same essence as 12”

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
I don’t think you need to worry too much about a 20 watt Greenback with a 20 watt Marshall, unless you’re running at full bore all the time.

But having a choice like you do, I wouldn’t do it.

If you’ve decided on a 1-12, Why not get a G12M-65 Creamback instead of a Greenback? I’ve got a Creamback in a 1-12 cab that I use with a 20 watt Marshall.

But I prefer a Creamback to a Greenback anyway, Greenbacks sound great when there’s more than just one, imo.
Does the same hold true for G10 creambacks? I see Mesa makes a 1x10 g10 creamback that would be super portable. I don’t play loud and will never gig

phase27

Reaction score
I tried out a 1x10 speaker and didn't like it. Wasn't the Creamback, but still, you can definitely tell a different between 10 and 12, imo.

Have you looked at these? Comes with a V30. The cabinet itself is just over the price of a v30 on it's own (I've never played this, but worth looking at)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
I tried out a 1x10 speaker and didn't like it. Wasn't the Creamback, but still, you can definitely tell a different between 10 and 12, imo.

Have you looked at these? Comes with a V30. The cabinet itself is just over the price of a v30 on it's own (I've never played this, but worth looking at)

Yes I’ve seen these monoprice products, look like great value. I’m not a big fan of the vintage 30 for the sound I’m trying to get, I played through one and it kind of had a punk rock vibe to my ears

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

tonycaster

Reaction score
perso
One other option I see is a mesa 1x10 with g10 creamback, which woild
Be a cool option because I hear great things about creambacks and it would be super portable for jamming, but I don’t know if the 10” creambacks retain the same essence as 12”
personally I don't like 10" speakers as I feel they miss some body... Don't know about the 10 cream back though; what I can tell you is that with a 12 creamback it sounded great (they're my fav speakers): I'm currently using the same 1x12 (Palmer MDF cab with a 12 creamback) with an SC20H, and, once I mic the cab, nothing is missing, at least to my ears; plenty of volume as well, enough to gig with a loud drummer

Latest posts