Slap me silly and call me Sally ...

• Thread starter BluesForDan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BluesForDan

Reaction score
I could have sworn there was a Recording Out/DI line jack on the JCM2000 DSL 50 head like there is on the JCM2000 DSL401 combo. I wonder why Marshall didn't include one?

Oh, well, guess it's time for a reactive load box for silent recording. Any recommendations that you've personally used?

6StringMoFo

Reaction score
I could have sworn there was a Recording Out/DI line jack on the JCM2000 DSL 50 head like there is on the JCM2000 DSL401 combo. I wonder why Marshall didn't include one?

Oh, well, guess it's time for a reactive load box for silent recording. Any recommendations that you've personally used?
You won't regret it.

I silent record my DSL, 2203, and SV now and everyone is happier hah.

I use an UA Ox Box.

Pricy option yes but researching it, I learned that there are many great options for less than 1/2 the $$.

Captor comes up a lot.

BluesForDan

Reaction score
the UA Ox Box is on my dream list.

As in "You must be dreaming if you think I can afford that" :D

The Two Note Captor does get a lot of mentions.

BluesForDan

Reaction score
the Two Note Captor X comes in 8 ohm and 16 ohm versions. Both my Marshalls have 8 ohm speaker jacks and my Fender Princeton is 8 ohm so I think that would be the version I'd get.

JohnH

Reaction score
Yep, no DI out on those old DSL heads. I've got a DSL401, which did have one. It's surprisingly decent sounding too, just a tad edgier than a miced signal. It makes a very useful second track to record at the same time as a mic, then pan them a bit left and right in a mix.

But for the OP question, for the silent recording, just have to make sure the system includes a reactive load, and and IR loader or at least a good cab sim. Entry level might be a Torpedo Captor? And high end would be a Suhr load box with IR, assuming attenuation to the speaker isn't needed. If it is, then Fryette PS2? I can't claim any personal testing of those units though.

If you don't need silent, but just a low volume for recording, micing the cab driven by a good reactive attenuator is a great option and it's what I do. Want to build one? (it's the least $ of all options)