SOBER OCTOBER CHALLENGE!

• Thread starter V-man
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

V-man

Reaction score
Thought I would bring up a sort of game/challenge that might turn into a tradition here if it goes well. Here’s how it works.

1. Effective Midnight, (from the day you read this/opt in) you play ONE amp exclusively for 30 days, preferably a Marshall, but you decide.

2. NO FX AT All, straight into the amp.

3. If multi-channel swiss army amp, PICK ONE CHANNEL* and commit to it - no flip-flopping.

4. Post up that you have opted in (let us know your weapon of choice) and report your experiences on the thread when so inspired.

5. If this is already your jam, challenge yourself. Commit to a lesser used amp, using one guitar exclusively instead, something that takes you out of your comfort zone.

* Exceptions…

- If you have a pre-arranged commitment (rehearsal, gig, recording scheduled) you may interrupt, strictly to accommodate your obligation(s) as needed.

- Channels refer to something intended for toggling. If you take the DSL Green, no Orange, no Red. If you take a Silver Jubilee, either lead or rhythm channel (rhythm clip can be switched on/off). If you have chosen a 2-hole or 4-hole, the various inputs, configurations (“jumpering”) remain accessible to you.

- Multiple guitars OK (see rule 5 for vets of this), SC to HB, passive to active, just no “Cort w built in FX“ loophole business.

- Permitted accessories: Different Cabinets, Attenuation, Load Boxes, IRs, DAWs (no plugins for EQ or FX)

If I can get at least 6-12 to commit by the end of the day, I will post up my choice and lock in (Weighing my alternatives ATM). Obviously the purpose of this challenge to grow as a player and bond more intimately with the amp, relying more on the fingers and knobs to achieve the desired effect.

Anybody in?

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought I would bring up a sort of game/challenge that might turn into a tradition here if it goes well. Here’s how it works.

1. Effective Midnight, (from the day you read this/opt in) you play ONE amp exclusively for 30 days, preferably a Marshall, but you decide.

2. NO FX AT All, straight into the amp.

3. If multi-channel swiss army amp, PICK ONE CHANNEL* and commit to it - no flip-flopping.

4. Post up that you have opted in (let us know your weapon of choice) and report your experiences on the thread when so inspired.

5. If this is already your jam, challenge yourself. Commit to a lesser used amp, using one guitar exclusively instead, something that takes you out of your comfort zone.

* Exceptions…

- If you have a pre-arranged commitment (rehearsal, gig, recording scheduled) you may interrupt, strictly to accommodate your obligation(s) as needed.

- Channels refer to something intended for toggling. If you take the DSL Green, no Orange, no Red. If you take a Silver Jubilee, either lead or rhythm channel (rhythm clip can be switched on/off). If you have chosen a 2-hole or 4-hole, the various inputs, configurations (“jumpering”) remain accessible to you.

- Multiple guitars OK (see rule 5 for vets of this), SC to HB, passive to active, just no “Cort w built in FX“ loophole business.

- Permitted accessories: Different Cabinets, Attenuation, Load Boxes, IRs, DAWs (no plugins for EQ or FX)

If I can get at least 6-12 to commit by the end of the day, I will post up my choice and lock in (Weighing my alternatives ATM). Obviously the purpose of this challenge to grow as a player and bond more intimately with the amp, relying more on the fingers and knobs to achieve the desired effect.

Anybody in?
What about the use of a clean boost ??
And no FX ??

Kuga

Reaction score
Ok, 30 days with just one amp? Just one channel? No FX loop!!!? Probably will be lead channel on a TSL100 BUT the Marshall's drug it's so adictives. Sorry I can't. I can't be sober with just this.
What about clean channel on the LM6100? I can't wait one week without tryed It again. What about clean channel on the VM2466? What about the lovely crunch on the MKIII? What about the versatility on the JVM410 HJS and his wonderfull FXLOOP? What about soloing on the 2555X? What about the reverb on the JCM900 DR? What about the beast tones on the SL-X ? What about on the Astoria Custom? It's working!! At the end of the day there is still remains the JVM1H for low volume tones.

30 days!? Sorry I can't. :erk:

svinyard

Reaction score
I’m surprised at the guys who don’t play without pedals.

Am I the only one that LOVES the tone of a (good) Marshall straight in?? If it was good enough for Angus it’s prob good enough for me.

Calebz

Reaction score

Am I the only one that LOVES the tone of a (good) Marshall straight in?? If it was good enough for Angus it’s prob good enough for me.

You might not be the only one. But I definitely am not one of them. Angus is great, but it's not what I want from a guitar.

No effects/boosts/etc.. = I may as well just give up electric guitar and spend my life on a street corner playing weird hippie folk songs on a beat-ass acoustic for scraps :lol:

What?

Reaction score
I already do this. And I'll drink to it. My usual is a strat with a super reverb. But I have been stuck on a les paul into a plexi clone this year.

No. I collected a pretty good pile of pedals, and don't really use them. I prefer straight in 99% of the time. An occasional pedal can be fun though.

FlowBoxx

Reaction score
Am I allowed to change the settings? Like EQ/presence/gain?

I commit to my 2266 in high dynamic range.

Guitar probably my mij Strat. 🤔

Gutch220

Reaction score
I have a better idea. Try to collect every (compact/normal) Boss pedal ever released to the public. It won't be easy.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score

Angus may plug straight in but they just add the reverb in during production or may play in rooms with lots of natural reverb on the albums so it doesn't sound so dry and sterile. In arenas he has all kinds of natural reverb that many at home players will never have without a pedal. So his tone never sounds dry and sterile on albums or live in arenas. Other people try to recreate that at home with pedals, some may feel the need not to.

What?

Reaction score
I have a better idea. Try to collect every (compact/normal) Boss pedal ever released to the public. It won't be easy.

1 is enough to take away from the amp sound. Not Boss specific. Pedals have their place and all, but they don't do what they do for free. I know some of you know what I'm talking about.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
You'd have to be drunk to do this! What's the point! Unless I can win a $1k prize or something.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Vintage Modern in HDR is best for this challenge. Set the detail around noon and the body at 11 o clock and just control everything from your guitar. Low volume on your guitar should be pretty clean, around 7-8 should be decent crunch and wide open for singing leads.
The amp was actually designed for this challenge. 🙂👍