Sold a bunch of tubes....

• Thread starter Matthews Guitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I got a call yesterday from a friend who owns a local music store. He had a customer asking if he knew anybody who had some decent used EL34s for sale that he could buy as spares for his touring rig. I said, sure, send him over to my shop.

Turns out, I'm not going to name names here, but the guy who shows up is one of the guitarists for a Led Zeppelin tribute band that has been around for a while and tours nationally.

He's a nice guy, and very much in tune with my way of thinking. He's also a technician, builds his own amps, and has a collection of vintage Marshalls that I envy, and having four JMPs myself I don't feel underpriveleged, exactly.

I have my restored '69 Superlead half stack at my shop as my main rig. (Greenbacks in the 1960A cabinet) I fired it up and invited him to check it out if he wanted, while I pulled tubes out of my storage cabinet and started double checking them. Of course he's a far better player than I will ever be. He pronounces my Superlead to be a fine example that sounds RIGHT. Which I'm very pleased to hear. My opinion is that it's a killer amp but I'm always happy to get a second opinion, particularly from a pro.

As for tubes...I have a quad of brand new JJ EL34 IIs I just got a few days ago from Tube Depot, and quite a few more lightly used spares that read very strong and are even well matched.
Those are 30 bucks each for new ones. ($29.98 each as per the TD website.)

What to charge? For used tubes? I decided on half price. I'm not looking to profiteer. They're not vintage Mullards or GECs, I think half price for modern used tubes with lots of life left is genuinely fair.
He buys a small pile of them from me and also buys some 12AX7s out of my box of tested pulls, and some other things, too. In total he drops over 500 bucks in my pocket for stuff that I was just stockpiling for "what if". And I made a friend, and a connection that will help expand my web of connections.

I would have gone to see the show he played that evening but it was sold out. Oh well. Next time. They do come around every couple of years.

Sometimes it is worth it to answer the phone.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
I got a call yesterday from a friend who owns a local music store. He had a customer asking if he knew anybody who had some decent used EL34s for sale that he could buy as spares for his touring rig. I said, sure, send him over to my shop.

Turns out, I'm not going to name names here, but the guy who shows up is one of the guitarists for a Led Zeppelin tribute band that has been around for a while and tours nationally.

He's a nice guy, and very much in tune with my way of thinking. He's also a technician, builds his own amps, and has a collection of vintage Marshalls that I envy, and having four JMPs myself I don't feel underpriveleged, exactly.

I have my restored '69 Superlead half stack at my shop as my main rig. (Greenbacks in the 1960A cabinet) I fired it up and invited him to check it out if he wanted, while I pulled tubes out of my storage cabinet and started double checking them. Of course he's a far better player than I will ever be. He pronounces my Superlead to be a fine example that sounds RIGHT. Which I'm very pleased to hear. My opinion is that it's a killer amp but I'm always happy to get a second opinion, particularly from a pro.

As for tubes...I have a quad of brand new JJ EL34 IIs I just got a few days ago from Tube Depot, and quite a few more lightly used spares that read very strong and are even well matched.

What to charge? For used tubes? I decided on half price. I'm not looking to profiteer. They're not vintage Mullards or GECs, I think half price for modern used tubes with lots of life left is genuinely fair.
He buys a small pile of them from me and also buys some 12AX7s out of my box of tested pulls, and some other things, too. In total he drops over 500 bucks in my pocket for stuff that I was just stockpiling for "what if". And I made a friend, and a connection that will help expand my web of connections.

I would have gone to see the show he played that evening but it was sold out. Oh well. Next time. They do come around every couple of years.

Thats awesome!

StingRay85

Reaction score
Damn... touring musicians looking for used JJ? Even for spares thats completely silly. I'm close to the point where I should consider selling some of my NOS Telefunken, Mullard, RFT, SED, Tesla, Matsushita and help out these kind of musicians

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I thought it was just a bit weird myself but am I going to complain? Of course not! The tubes he got were in good enough shape that an unscrupulous seller would not bother to mention that they're used. They tested nearly as strong as new tubes. I am seeing evidence that JJ EL34s last a long time, relatively speaking.

I'm just glad to help and glad to put an extra 500 bucks in my pocket selling off things I have no plan for. And the stuff he bought didn't make a dent in what I still have available.

Given the current tube panic, which won't end until all the major resellers are back in stock with new Russian made tubes, I'm sure a lot of sellers would jack up the price on even used tubes. I just can't bring myself to do that. Half price for a used but healthy current production tube type sounds just about right to me.

southbound suarez

Reaction score
M

Man, that's what I should do!

Wildeman

Reaction score
I think about guys like that when i start getting the urge to hoard. There are people that will NEED replacements, my stash will most likely never get used up by me, hell, 3/4 of my playing gets done through either a OBNE headphone amp pedal or my Blackstar ID Core 10 modeler. I do love to rattle the house with the big iron once in a while though😏

C-4

Reaction score
I thought it was just a bit weird myself but am I going to complain? Of course not! The tubes he got were in good enough shape that an unscrupulous seller would not bother to mention that they're used. They tested nearly as strong as new tubes. I am seeing evidence that JJ EL34s last a long time, relatively speaking.

I'm just glad to help and glad to put an extra 500 bucks in my pocket selling off things I have no plan for. And the stuff he bought didn't make a dent in what I still have available.

Given the current tube panic, which won't end until all the major resellers are back in stock with new Russian made tubes, I'm sure a lot of sellers would jack up the price on even used tubes. I just can't bring myself to do that. Half price for a used but healthy current production tube type sounds just about right to me.
You did the right thing. Hopefully, it will come back to you. What karma goes around, comes around.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously studying doing the same thing..good god did you see what Tele's, Mullards and the old USA tubes are selling for? I think If I start selling now I could buy a new Vette by summer..

MarshallDog

Reaction score
A while back I was thinking about dumping some tubes that are not my favorites but now I’m glad I’m glad I didnt!

Brek

Reaction score
he cudda comped you the show entry/vip'd yo ass if you'd asked.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
I would have gone to see the show he played that evening but it was sold out. Oh well. Next time.
They guy wouldn't even comp you in? Should've gouged him.

I brought Brian Tichy a snare hoop when he was on tour with Pride And Glory and he comped me, my buddy who owned the shop, AND a buddy of mine into the show.

Im247frogs

Reaction score
Solid guys comp shows to other solid guys who do them solids when they're touring. Just saying. Shouldn't even have to have asked.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I wasn't about to complain. Sold out is sold out. And...don't call me a blasphemer, but I respect Zep rather than love Zep. It's still a "take it or leave it" kind of show for me. Now if it was an AC/DC tribute band....I'd have tried to see what could be arranged.