SOLD

• Thread starter BygoneTones
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BygoneTones

Reaction score
Late 1966 Marshall 4x12 cab - unloaded. Original speakers were T1221s dated Oct 66. They are NOT included.

What's not original:
  • Grill material - Eric Collins
  • Leather section of the handles - Ampaholics
What's original:
  • Everything else!
Very good overall condition. Someone has basically just stripped the tolex and grill material from this cab, and thankfully without even bothering to remove the back panel to do the job properly. So all the original tolex, staples, piping etc are still there on the inside of the cab and inner back panel. I would strongly recommend that whoever buys this cab does NOT remove those original features. Those are the details that prove its authenticity to those who know about these things.

Rare to find these with the sides still intact. Most of them got recessed handles installed by previous owners.

Only the leather is repro on the handles, everything else is original - metal end caps, metal inner, and screws. Original white piping, even the gold piping is still there on top. Original back panel screws - not raised heads but are original in my opinion. Woodwork in good condition, with no rot or woodworm. No castors ever been installed on the bottom.

Previous owner added the scrape marks to the inside of the cab. Not guilty!

I've got this on Reverb for £1600 GBP but make me an offer if interested.

Can ship worldwide, please contact me for a quote.

jswy6qavnctymdeb1vkq.jpg

sqgcfbjvxhtob6t0ztii.jpg

h8gughvgshc1nxbzswhz.jpg

kokmxwecjwukgb00jden.jpg

fvaa1cwx4qknrtrhsflb.jpg
fiuhqhiu5u7u3c8vnzuv.jpg

bsylc3wuehmfqxoutlaq.jpg

gid8pddlc6jbvbfh4ubr.jpg

BygoneTones

Reaction score
Looks nice! GLWTS

Thanks, yes it's a nice cab in my opinion. All original with no 'mods' to the woodwork, which trust me is rare on these cabs. No-one has even ever screwed castors onto it. Good luck finding another strap handle Marshall 4x12 like that.

Fwiw I still have the original wiring harness. If it's a deal breaker I can throw it in.

Brewster

Reaction score
PM sent, but does anyone mfg a realistic tolex to restore a vintage cabinet? Wonder how many times Eric Collins has been asked??

Last edited:

Ned B

Reaction score
There's nothing out there like it that I have ever seen. I can't believe someone hasn't found NOS rolls of the original tolex/rexine. I had the speakers out of mine - serial # 51XX - and it was noticeably lighter than later BW cabs empty. Dryer birch plywood, I guess. Maybe the reason these have such a great reputation for resonance.

Brewster

Reaction score
BW? Im searching for the tolex with no luck.

Brewster

Reaction score
Duh, thanks and sorry I didnt see it. Brain dead and can blame it on my sister-in-law visiting and drinking started early today.

TAZIN

Reaction score
I noticed that this cab does not have finger-joint/box-joint corners...Is that common for cab up to 1967?

BygoneTones

Reaction score
In the past I've just used the standard black levant tolex to restore cabs like this. There is a black on green 'bronco' tolex around that looks fairly similar when you see the pics of it online, but it looks awful in person, way too green. The standard black looks best.

Brewster

Reaction score
Point huh, ;)

I pulled the trigger on this cab and think its perfect as it sits. Unless nos tolex appears the natural wood look will stay.
Thanks BygoneTones, for answering my stupid questions and direction.

AndyD

Reaction score
Point huh, ;)

I pulled the trigger on this cab and think its perfect as it sits. Unless nos tolex appears the natural wood look will stay.
Thanks BygoneTones, for answering my stupid questions and direction.
Nice one!

Brewster

Reaction score
Well the better half is on to me with the cab. Asked me what I bought now since she saw the PP withdraw.
I had promised her I would only keep two half stacks and now Im up to four. She isnt happy but she's not as mad as I would have thought. The porch/office is getting a little crowded but I figure I'll just put the Twinn Reverb back in the basement ;)

Last edited:

Brewster

Reaction score
Thanks Central Scrutinizer, now the hard part and loading her. Thoughts?
I for one would rather spend the time and money to get it right with speakers as close to Oct 1966 as i can. Aint going to be easy but this new head that brought me here is now guiding the path.
Since it most likely will be along search maybe I should load her with re-pops?
Cheers and happy Sunday fellow Marshall crazy nuts heads !
Brew

Brewster

Reaction score
Well she arrived today in one piece. The UPS driver knew right away due to shipping origin. Weird with no Casters how small the cabinet seems. I really like the wood look with the room that is still under remodel. Lost a couple letters along the way but compared to what could have happened I am a happy guy.
The wife made a few comments once it arrived but settled down before I unpacked her. Good thing I didnt tell her that it still needs speakers ;)

Thanks, Brian for the opportunity and the very fine packaging. Now if we can just load her with some speakers worthy. Cant wait!
Cheers

Attachments

• JTM & Cab.jpg
    JTM & Cab.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 27