Soldano SLO 100

• Thread starter NewReligion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I stopped in at the Guitar Center In Greenwood Indiana to play a 1991 Soldano SLO 100 thru the matching 1991 Soldano 412 cab (Speakers Unknown) yesterday. I am posting this only because of the major disappointment. I expected at the least Marshall Like tones and performance. Not even close, I own and have owned 2203's & 2204's. I found the amp to resemble the stock Peavey Triple X Head. It felt very Present, Brittle and Buzzy. I then plugged into a Marshall SLASH SIG JUBILEE SL2555. Huge improvement. It actually reminded me of my JCM 800 2210's with less low end and gain, of course that could of been due to the 1960 cab with 75's. I was really glad that I stopped in and layed those interest to rest.

The Jub Re-Issue was a great head, but not for the money ($1,999.00). The Soldano @ ($2,999.00) was no more a hot rodded Marshall than anything that has come from the Peavey camp in the last 20 years. It actually reminded me of the crap Mike Soldano tried to push thru Yamaha/Soldano 20 years ago. I have owned and played many amps to include a custom built Splawn (Nice but not for me, Freaky mid range and compression). Nothing on the Major Market compares to the old Marshalls and Re-Issues. Will "they" ever stop trying to re-invent the wheel?

Just wanted to express my dismay at such a highly regarded amp. Cold, Sterile, Brittle and Buzzy. It in my oppinion does not fit anywhere in the JCM Family and certainly not a Marshall at any price. Sorry if anyone is offended. In that defense I will at the first opportunity play the next SLO I come across however my expectations are certainly grounded if not crashed.

David

David C. Hopkins on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Last edited:

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Now try a MarkV.:headbanger:

Sounds like a cool amp. Think I will. I owned 3 of the Early pre-1993 Dual Rec's and tried to like them but they never really got me there and two of them blew circuits, one actually caught fire on stage one night. I'm a Metal/Blues player. You think I'll dig the Mark 5?

Last edited:

jerryjg

Reaction score
Sounds like a cool amp. Think I will. I owned 3 of the Eaely pre-1993 Dual Rec's and tried to like them but they never really got me there and two of them blew circuits, one actually caught fire on stage one night. I'm a Metal/Blues player. You think I'll dig the Mark 5?

Probably not, but I don't know too much about them. Do you like the Rectos?
They won't sound as organic as some of your old school metal marshalls and early Boogies like as were played by Priest, Sabbath, maiden, Metalliaca.
If you dig petruccis latest stuff, then youll love the Mesa rectos, but he's changed to the Marks now. If your bag is clear clean razor sharp fat full lead, then the Marks deliver.
Tahts just my take from waht Ive learned off clips and from reviews..Ive never even played one.

nedcronin

Reaction score
I have had several boogies and it's always the same for me...I can get every sound but the one I want. And it's just so easy to get the tone I want from a Marshall, because it's a Marshall tone I seek. From your posts that I have read I think you like a Marshall tone too. And I know you are a tone seeker. I think a tone seeker and the Mark V are a bad match because you will drive yourself bananas with all the knobs and shifts and switches.....at least I know I would.

Bieling3

Reaction score
Im surprised there aren't more Splawn lovers here at the forum. While I haven't had the chance to play one in person yet, they have the best sounding video's on youtube (not that that means all that much). Try to find a good sounding demo video of a DSL and you'll be looking all day.

Even JCM 800 videos with good sound quality are few and far between. Yet every Splawn video sounds amazing. I wonder what it is that doens't translate. Maybe that compressed nature you're talking about makes it easier for camera mics.

PaoloJM

Reaction score
I stopped in at the Guitar Center In Greenwood Indiana to play a 1991 Soldano SLO 100 thru the matching 1991 Soldano 412 cab (Speakers Unknown) yesterday. I am posting this only because of the major disappointment. I expected at the least Marshall Like tones and performance. Not even close, I own and have owned 2203's & 2204's. I found the amp to resemble the stock Peavey Triple X Head. It felt very Present, Brittle and Buzzy. I then plugged into a Marshall SLASH SIG JUBILEE SL2555. Huge improvement. It actually reminded me of my JCM 800 2210's with less low end and gain, of course that could of been due to the 1960 cab with 75's. I was really glad that I stopped in and layed those interest to rest.

The Jub Re-Issue was a great head, but not for the money ($1,999.00). The Soldano @ ($2,999.00) was no more a hot rodded Marshall than anything that has come from the Peavey camp in the last 20 years. It actually reminded me of the crap Mike Soldano tried to push thru Yamaha/Soldano 20 years ago. I have owned and played many amps to include a custom built Splawn (Nice but not for me, Freaky mid range and compression). Nothing on the Major Market compares to the old Marshalls and Re-Issues. Will "they" ever stop trying to re-invent the wheel?

Just wanted to express my dismay at such a highly regarded amp. Cold, Sterile, Brittle and Buzzy. It in my oppinion does not fit anywhere in the JCM Family and certainly not a Marshall at any price. Sorry if anyone is offended. In that defense I will at the first opportunity play the next SLO I come across however my expectations are certainly grounded if not crashed.

David

David C. Hopkins on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

The SLO you tried was not set up correctly or was defective. Report back when you try another one that is working correctly.

Reaction score
Everytime I have tried a SLO or a Soldano it has always blown me away, and arguably superior to alot of Marshalls...ya I said it.
IF you are always looking for a 2203 sound, you aren't going to find it in Mark, Stilletto, SLO, or whatever, but if you are looking for a different and great sounding amp, a SLO is an option.

custom53

Reaction score
Everytime I have tried a SLO or a Soldano it has always blown me away, and arguably superior to alot of Marshalls...ya I said it.
IF you are always looking for a 2203 sound, you aren't going to find it in Mark, Stilletto, SLO, or whatever, but if you are looking for a different and great sounding amp, a SLO is an option.

ditto...

siav

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4nZ1NIS54U]YouTube - Soldano SLO 100 amp demo[/ame]

:)

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have seen that video many times. Though it sounds many times better than the model I played live, I suspect much of it has to do with the fact that most if not all of the signal you hear is reproduced by the SM57 which has been mastered thru EQ with a low pass filter not allowing freq's above a set limit to pass there by smoothing out the recording. This video was created directly for sales.

If you watch closely later when the heavey distortion is applied (around the 5 minute mark), the adjustment of the tone knobs has little effect. This tells me that the secondary recording device is "Limiting" the Freq's to be recorded as most producers do with any amp. a quality Camcorder will deliver a more accurate recording but there is always something lost in translation. This recording doesn't sound that different from the Diezel recordings these guys produced and we all know these amps are very different.

Cam Recording of a Cameron JMP2204: This guy has some nice amps. Marshall Growl! :)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gqMMmCK4Yo&feature=related[/ame]

Now don't miss the point. The point is that the Soldano has been EQ'd (Who knows what it really sounds like). The Marshall is recorded with a crappy camcorder pencil mic.

Bieling3

Reaction score
Man, that hotrodded 2204 sounds sweat! I'd rather just buy a Egnator Renegade than fork over all that money for an SLO:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W-PDv6GlRs]YouTube - Egnater Renegade Wet/Dry - Overdrive Demo[/ame]

PaoloJM

Reaction score
Yes, I have seen that video many times. Though it sounds many times better than the model I played live, I suspect much of it has to do with the fact that most if not all of the signal you hear is reproduced by the SM57 which has been mastered thru EQ with a low pass filter not allowing freq's above a set limit to pass there by smoothing out the recording. This video was created directly for sales.

If you watch closely later when the heavey distortion is applied (around the 5 minute mark), the adjustment of the tone knobs has little effect. This tells me that the secondary recording device is "Limiting" the Freq's to be recorded as most producers do with any amp. a quality Camcorder will deliver a more accurate recording but there is always something lost in translation. This recording doesn't sound that different from the Diezel recordings these guys produced and we all know these amps are very different.

Cam Recording of a Cameron JMP2204: This guy has some nice amps. Marshall Growl! :)
YouTube - Cameron Aldrich modded Marshall

Now don't miss the point. The point is that the Soldano has been EQ'd (Who knows what it really sounds like). The Marshall is recorded with a crappy camcorder pencil mic.

There's loads of uTube vids of SLO sounding great with just cam corders or digicams. I'm at work but I'll dig up a few later.

Bieling3

Reaction score
Here's one of it's little cousin:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPN8qO57lII]YouTube - Jet City 100 KT88 Demo[/ame]

...and here's one SLO vs 6505+

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT3vnSro458]YouTube - Peavey 6505+ vs. Soldano SLO[/ame]

JCM1959RR

Reaction score
the jet city sounds more open & clear - the SLO & Peavey sound smoother & more compressed - The Marshall demo sounds the best in my opinion - Full, crisp, clear - bold & open. I like the sound of older Marshall amps - I have owned a lot of newer Marshall amps like DSL50 & 100 - JVM210H - TSL100 & I can say newer Marshall amps have a ton of bass - My DSL50 sounds a lot better with an EQ in the Loop - Turn the EQ off & the clean channel turns to Mud - almost like a blanket over the speakers - Plug in the 1987X with a SD-1 & it's clear - open classic Marshall tone

MantraSky

Reaction score
SLO's are Great Amps.....
H0rCEwT.jpg

Last edited: