Sozo Caps replacement for JCM 800 or Jubilee ?

• Thread starter mxr2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mxr2000

Reaction score
Hello Guys

Anybody never replace or change your Jcm 800 2203,2204,2205 or 2210 or Jubilee amps with vintage style Sozo caps to get a more vintage sound and feel?

Sozo Caps replacement for JCM 800 or Jubilee ? IF so how this have change the tone and feel on this more gainer amps that on the JMP models, you found is good for tone and performance?

jcmjmp

Reaction score
not worth the extra money IMO but TwinAC did it and was happy with the results.
You could try Mallorys and have good results too.

aerochris

Reaction score
This is a very good question. I wonder about it as well. Are those new amps not coming with Mallory 150's? If not, I would expect they would be a good upgrade. And the Sozo's aren't that much more expensive, considering you are going to be in there soldering on the thing anyway...

demonufo

Reaction score
I don't like mallories at all in Marshall builds. Can't speak for jubilees though as I've never messed with one.
Personally I'd choose Vishay MKT1813's over Mallories, and Sozo's above those. But to be fair, the metallized poly film caps in almost all of those old Marshalls are better (tonally) than many people give them credit for.

psychodave

Reaction score
I did. I tried the Mallorys first, then went to the sozo's. The Sozo's sounded really good...:)

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score
Corksniffing.

Now as everyone here knows yes I personally use Sozo caps myself. But I use them in all new builds and they are NOT the reason why my builds/mods sound the way they do nor do I ever claim that. I DO NOT support, offer, sell or do mods where all I do is swap the stock coupling caps for value identical Sozo equivalents giving you false hope that it will make this night/day change in your amp like most of the cork sniffing gurus who wouldn't know Ohm's Law or how to read a schematic to save their life do.

If a customer requests me to do this sort of a mod I will...but not without giving my price to do it along with the disclaimer that doing the mod may not give them the change they're hoping for and if it doesn't, my price still stands. This way it is a "do it at your own risk" mod and I get paid regardless of whether or not the customer thinks the SLIGHT SLIGHT SLIGHT tonal change was worth it or not. It wasn't recommended by me...the customer requested it...I recommended against it and they still insisted that that is what they wanted...therefore I deserve every penny I charged to do the mod regardless of the outcome.

They are really good caps yes. But don't expect to make this sudden night/day change on your amp by simply swapping your stock coupling caps to value identical Sozo equivalents. There's much more to modding amps than doing this sort of a cork sniffer mod.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
sitting on a surfin' board, when given a choice
Hey Jon. I'm still lagging on getting my amp serviced, but hopefully my time off the ship and spare money will coincide soon and I'll get it done. The guy I was going to use dropped his website so I'll be looking around for a guy in the San Luis Obispo area. Is there a brand of caps that I should avoid? I don't want to have the guy drop some radioshack bullshit in there and charge me a pint of blood for it, if you know what I mean. I don't know how many brands of caps there are, but are there any I should request/avoid?? I just want my old 800 to sound like its happy self, without fuckin blowing up.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
The Sozo's sounded really good.
+1
allthough i didn't change the original caps my jcm 800 i did change the original caps that came with my jcm 800 ceriatone to sozo's on and i have to say i did get a smoother/sweeter tone overall.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:) I love the way they sound in my 2204. I didn't care for their "Standard" caps in it, it sounded choked and darker, But the "PREMIUM VINTAGES" *sniff sniff* are the Shit!!!!

Spendy, but nothings too good for my Marshalls.....

:lol::lol: TWIN

Last edited:

mxr2000

Reaction score
all right guys, so i will try the Sozo Vintage!! sozo offers Kits for differents amps but I dont see one for Jubilee. let see what should i do now!!!

Ydna

In Memorandum
Reaction score
You need to figure out the values you need(Not all the caps need to be replaced, only the ones that affect tone). Someone on here can most likely give you those values.

clutch71

Reaction score
Corksniffing.....They are really good caps yes. But don't expect to make this sudden night/day change on your amp by simply swapping your stock coupling caps to value identical Sozo equivalents. There's much more to modding amps than doing this sort of a cork sniffer mod.

I'm working on mods for a VTM60. In the process I've found about 4 .022/400 caps that appear to be swollen on the preamp board. To my ears this amp has always sounded "off" at least compared to my stock VTM 120. By your logic above should, I just replace with the standard Illinois orange drop looking cap? They are cheaper. The cost for the SOZO (standard yellow) to me is not a big deal but a dime is a dime if the cap choice is irrelevant.

OP sorry if I derailed the thread....
Mods...where in the wide world of sports did the PM button go?

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score
I'm working on mods for a VTM60. In the process I've found about 4 .022/400 caps that appear to be swollen on the preamp board. To my ears this amp has always sounded "off" at least compared to my stock VTM 120. By your logic above should, I just replace with the standard Illinois orange drop looking cap? They are cheaper. The cost for the SOZO (standard yellow) to me is not a big deal but a dime is a dime if the cap choice is irrelevant.

OP sorry if I derailed the thread....
Mods...where in the wide world of sports did the PM button go?

In this situation you're going to hear a tonal difference no matter what cap you put in there if the above mentioned cap is already failing. This has nothing to do with the materials used to make the cap, but everything to do with the fact that you're replacing a failing cap with a brand new cap.

I say just use a stock replacement or something priced equivalent to a stock replacement.

Latest posts