Speaker change suggestions for my evh 5150 iii 50 watt combo

Sanad Khalid

Reaction score
I've been looking to replace a speaker of my evh 5150 iii 50 watt combo so my clean tones won't start to break early, so which speaker do you guys think would be the best for warm cleans? And i also read that if you don't want your clean tones to break early look for higher wattage speaker.
Thanks for the help and time

junk notes

Reaction score
16Ω EVM 12L fits your criteria.
I've been looking to replace a speaker of my evh 5150 iii 50 watt combo so my clean tones won't start to break early, so which speaker do you guys think would be the best for warm cleans? And i also read that if you don't want your clean tones to break early look for higher wattage speaker.
Thanks for the help and time

Sanad Khalid

Reaction score
16Ω EVM 12L fits your criteria.
I was looking on sweetwater.com but they only have 8 ohm and i cannot seem to find it anywhere so my question is do 8 ohm works? And is there any tonal difference between 8 ohm and 16 ohm? Cause i know you can select the 8 ohm impedance from the back of the amp

junk notes

Reaction score
I was looking on sweetwater.com but they only have 8 ohm and i cannot seem to find it anywhere so my question is do 8 ohm works? And is there any tonal difference between 8 ohm and 16 ohm? Cause i know you can select the 8 ohm impedance from the back of the amp
Sound, perhaps not, but feel; yes, as you are utilizing all of the transformer windings at 16Ω..
Look for one used.. They even make a Zakk version.

Sanad Khalid

Reaction score
Sound, perhaps not, but feel; yes, as you are utilizing all of the transformer windings at 16Ω..
Look for one used.. They even make a Zakk version.
Zakk version also just available in 8 ohm
What's your thoughts on creamback h75?

junk notes

Reaction score
Zakk version also just available in 8 ohm
What's your thoughts on creamback h75?
Tho only other two speakers I can recommend would be the vintage G12-65 and the JBL D120F. Anything close spec to that would highly compliment your Peavey amp.. Of course an H75 would sound great, but since your criteria is focused on cleans, the EV or equivalent would suit your needs for tone.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
The ubiquitous G12T75 sounds good for cleans, in my opinion, but I don't think it's that great for distortion.

junk notes

Reaction score
no, a good suggestion @Kinkless Tetrode . It is that they sound optimal moving some air. So you really have to push them harder than other types, but those killer tones are in or remain in the higher volume levels.
edit: An example would be YJM used them quite nicely IMO.:shred: but that might not be what the OP wants or needs.

Last edited: