Speaker Load (Z-Matcher device) question about Line Out

• Thread starter Gutch220
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gutch220

Reaction score
On the Weber Z-matcher (seen HERE), this device if you don't already know, goes between the amp and the cabinet to match impedances, but that's not my question.

On the rear there is a LINE OUT for an unbalanced 1/4 inch jack, and a balanced XLR out jack.

Now, this device receives a speaker-level signal, not a line level, so is it knocking down the signal from "speaker" to a LINE level?

Also, wouldn't this essentially now act as a post power amp DI box instead of a post preamp DI box where you normally see them?

I wonder how different an XLR signal's tone would sound after a power amp compared to after a preamp.

1703801113524.png

Thanks

Browneyesound

Reaction score
I have a Mass150 with a 1/4” unbalanced direct out, yes it is post poweramp line out. You will get any added power section and output transformer distortion, should it be occurring in how you are using it. It is essentially an attenuated speaker output.

Gutch220

Reaction score
I have a Mass150 with a 1/4” unbalanced direct out, yes it is post poweramp line out. You will get any added power section and output transformer distortion, should it be occurring in how you are using it. It is essentially an attenuated speaker output.
Since it's converting the unbalanced signal to a balanced XLR ....post-power amp......it's basically a DI box, no? (With the added flavor of the power amp)

Browneyesound

Reaction score
I would assume so, but I never deal with balanced guitar signals, so I really can’t say.

Gutch220

Reaction score
Would anybody happen to know if this XLR out is a "low Z" (low impedance) like a normal DI box?

(Or if I can measure this some how)