Speaker recommendations - Mojotone British 412

• Thread starter SpacedOutAce
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SpacedOutAce

Reaction score
I play 70s and 80s rock/metal. Dokken, Ratt, Van Halen, KISS, Deep Purple, Fastway, Rainbow, Dio, etc. Looking at Eminence, Celestion, Scumback, Weber, WGS, etc is daunting. I know quite a few of these guys used T75, M25, H30, G12-65, and G12-80. Any suggestions? I'm kind of leaning towards an X pattern and am open to current production speakers.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play 70s and 80s rock/metal. Dokken, Ratt, Van Halen, KISS, Deep Purple, Fastway, Rainbow, Dio, etc. Looking at Eminence, Celestion, Scumback, Weber, WGS, etc is daunting. I know quite a few of these guys used T75, M25, H30, G12-65, and G12-80. Any suggestions? I'm kind of leaning towards an X pattern and am open to current production speakers.
What guitar (& pickups), through what pedals and pedal configuration, into what amp?
Speakers are just the final link in the signal chain, and the tones you are going for depend on everything that winds up going into the speakers.
Speaker choice based on just the bands that you like is a difficult recommendation to make.

SpacedOutAce

Reaction score
I forgot to include that, though I intended to. My apologies.

Guitars: Various Fender Stratocasters (E and Eb standard)
Pickups: Passive and active EMGs (single coils and humbuckers) with EXG+SPC controls at 18v and with the pickups backed off some (makes them much less compressed)
Drive pedals: Marshall reissue pedals (Bluesbreaker, Shredmaster, Drivemaster, and Guv'nor)
Preamp: Friedman IR-X
Poweramp: Fryette PS-2A (50w)
Cabinet: Mojotone 412 British (empty)

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Mesa Boogie version of Vintage 30 is what I would recommend, since it mostly 80's metal, but a wide spectrum, and your going to be using a lot gain and distortion.

If a mix, then the V30 mixed with the G12H30 or equalvalent.

SpacedOutAce

Reaction score
One of the options I was contemplating was two Mesa V30s with something else like T75, Classic Lead 80, or Creambacks (either M65 or H75).

ken Tucky

Reaction score
One of the options I was contemplating was two Mesa V30s with something else like T75, Classic Lead 80, or Creambacks (either M65 or H75).
A lot of different speakers will get you close to the bands you've mentioned. As you want to play material encompassing a variety of artist tonal offerings, close is really all you can strive for. And many speakers will get you close enough. In other words, attempting to achieve an individual artists tone would narrow it down considerably but would certainly place some restraints towards accommodating versatility. That said, my first recommendation would be to decide on what efficiency is desired. IE: the sensitivity/volume of the speaker you hope to obtain. Best to understand the significant volume output differences between say a 97db speaker vs a 100db speaker. Two V30s at 100db will absolutely bury the 97db T75s they are paired with and most likely sound strange being mixed together as a result. I've seen a lot of people dismayed and second guess their choice when they are confronted by the alarming bark of a V30. Also, a Creamback M65 (medium magnet) is a much different sounding speaker than a Creamback H75 (heavy magnet). Got a loud amp? Maybe you'd benefit more from an inefficient speaker choice. Amp not quite loud enough when a drummer joins in? Maybe an efficient speaker will level you up. Once you decide on these things, then move forward and investigate tonal attributes being offered such as cone breakup tendencies, low/high end behavior, warmth and overall frequency response.

proxy

Reaction score
Do not mix the speakers.
This speaker will do everything you need.

Cysquatch

Reaction score
I've been seriously digging some G12H Anniversaries in a closed back 2x12 lately. I play a lot of 80s hair stuff and a fair bit of early VH, and can guarantee they get there no problem. They also cover more classic AC/DC style tones plenty well and I actually love them for the heavier thrash and sludge I also play consistently. They're probably my favorite speaker, if a bit spendy.

Weird suggestion: Carvin British series speakers. I've got some absurd 300w Carvin Brits in my current main 4x12 and they can do everything except flub out. They're made by Eminence and are essentially ultra beefy Greenbacks, so if cone distortion is your thing, maybe not for you. But they're very versatile, fairly cheap when you can find them, and aren't overly stiff with my 50w JVM despite being hilariously under taxed.

SpacedOutAce

Reaction score
The H30 is one of the speakers I use when I use IRs. I pair it with an M25. The other patch I use on my Two Notes Cab M+ has a V30 and T75. I've been contemplating either a H30/M25 X pattern or H75/M65 X pattern.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got an Orange PPC 412 loaded with Anni H30's on bottom and V30's on top. It's my unbridled rock/hardrock cab. I'm not going into my other 2 cabs. Too lazy.

I do not like the X pattern of mixing in a 412. There is a reason the H30's are on the bottom row. Their low end. Takes both to have the right effect/amount. The X pattern won't do it. V30's fill the upper kerrang.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once I get speakers, I'll likely mess about with X pattern vs top/bottom mixing.
For sure. I had to try both ways to find the differences and choose proper application in what works in that cab and my ears. Will be a bit of work but worth the experience gained.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I’ve done a few cabs recently and I’ve like mixing 2 v30’s with 2 WGS ET-65’s(have two of these cabs. One I keep at band practice). I also have been on a greenback kick lately so I’ve been digging my scumback bm75 loaded 4x12 and I just put together a cab with two older scumback m75’s(blue cage) one bm75 and one v30(for now. Ordered another bm75). Also order two j75’s to see what I prefer in the mix. And I just got delivered 4 mojotone bv25’s rhat il excited to try out. The cabs mentioned above, a friend and I played back to back to back the other night with my 86’ jcm800 2203 head. All sounded great. Different flavors of course. First thing I’d try to determine is if you want the greenback sound vs creamback vs more modern sound. Then start drilling down your options from there imo

Last edited:

Latest posts