Steer me towards a good single overdrive pedal, please?

• Thread starter shredless
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have four that I rotate on my board:
1) Xotic RC boost..its always on
2) Xotic BB Pre amp..this is the shit!
3) VooDoo Labs Sparkle Drive..with this you can blend the overdrive/gain signal with a clean signal.
4) Lovepedal Kalamazoo...Just got it but I'm liking it a lot, PG did a audio comparison with this to a Clon and I couldn't tell the difference.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I just got a Boss GE-7 eq pedal for my DSL50. I had no idea one of the bands was a level. This will overdrive your amp! Who would have guessed an eq would do this (not me). Any way, theres 7 bands to adjust your sound to anything, then adjust the level to wherever you want and this adds or subtracts gain as needed. Works great to push an overdriven amp further or use as a boost. $40 used on ebay.

ESPVH

Reaction score
I use a Danelectro Daddy-O, for a bit of boost for solos, it's cheap, built well, has 3 eq knobs, and just enough overdrive to give it a little volume boost as well as some nice sustaian. imho

not my pic:

DANELECTRODADDYO01.jpg

chucku

Reaction score
Pro co Rat is another good one, used by alot of guys.

thetragichero

Reaction score
i'm glad more people are hopping on the hardwire tube overdrive bandwagon
i am in LOVE with that pedal!

Rockerduck

Reaction score
I agree with the EQ suggestion. I am consistently telling people to try an eq before swapping speakers and modding this or that. EQ's can change alot of sounds and be used as a boost, and overdrive an amp.

Skotosynthesis

Reaction score
OP pay no attention to this post. It's completely off-topic. Do not let the following statement influence your decision...
But I've found that using Fuzz boxes as boosts w/ an already driven tube amp gives you some very, very weird tones that a lot of people don't talk about. They give you the most bizarre and unexpected harmonics and bring out some very unusual overtones you never even thought your guitar had in it. Especially when you play around with the guitar volume. They can't really give you what you're probably looking for out of an OD pedal... they are extremely messy, unpredictable, have poor tracking, and tend to flub the bass... but they can turn an otherwise "standard" rock solo into a trip to the moon! I think mine has rattled the acid out of my spine and induced flashbacks a few times.
Just something to play around with, if you every happen upon one.

TANGENTO67

Reaction score
Just to add my two bob's worth, Have a look at Big Knob Pedals from London, UK, All hand built, true bypass, I got the TS808 clone 'Tube 808', its a real monster, I use it throught my DSL50 and DSL401, I've been able to retire my old tubescreamer now after almost 30 years, its that good. He makes all sorts, fuzz face, DOD, Rat etc

Nickc6

Reaction score
I live about 40min from his shop so I've owned every Keeley modded overdrive and the TS 808 was the one I kept so add a vote for the 808!!! That was a few yrs ago so I haven't tried his new Luna overdrive.

norlo

Reaction score
Hey,
If your not afraid to spend a few bucks, I highly recommend the Tiki Drive from Hermida Electronics. It has 2 gain stages(?), vol, tone, and a voice knob, which I'm not 100% about what it does but supposedly it controls the bass/amount of gain and is used to "tune" the pedal to you rig. It sings and sustains for days but is way over the top at the higher settings. All in all it is a really cool pedal. I've only had it for about a week or two but it is very articulate, cleans up well, and if you have a good amp it will sound great, I love it. Plus the tiki dude on the fornt of it's mouth has a LED and lights up red!!!!(not really a selling point but kinda cool i guess.)

All his stuff is pretty good actually, the Zen Drive is a "Dumble" type distortion. Of course nothing is going to sound like a Dumble but a Dumble but it is a really good distortion as well.

Linky:
http://www.hermidaaudio.com/

Youtube:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZCoA4hf3Fw]YouTube - Hermida Tiki Drive w/Carol Ann OD-2 50 Watt 6L6 Clean Channel[/ame]

-Cruz