Stock preamp tubes in new Marshalls?

• Thread starter Joe2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joe2000

Reaction score
I bought a new Vintage Modern. Does anyone know what brand the stock Marshall branded preamp tubes are?

I remember the stock tubes in my DSL were crap and when I changed them they immediately made my tone a whole lot better. Has this changed with recent Marshalls?

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
I bought a new Vintage Modern. Does anyone know what brand the stock Marshall branded preamp tubes are?

I remember the stock tubes in my DSL were crap and when I changed them they immediately made my tone a whole lot better. Has this changed with recent Marshalls?

Prolly 9th Gen. Chinese. All in all not a terribly bad tube. Lot's of Gain and Treble, a little harsh.

:):) TWIN

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:) It has KT66's for power tubes. Marshall Designed these Around the Shuaguang KT66 which can handle the High (+500V) Plate voltages. If You are going to replace them--Use Valve Arts, Basically a Higher grade Shuaguang.

Or NOS Genelex if You have DEEP Pockets....

:):) TWIN

Last edited:

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
there should be numbers printed on all of those stock tubes, beginning with a VLVE-designation... if you post them, i'll be happy to look into it for ya ;)

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score

pretty sure the power tubes are Svetlana. I don't mean the "real" winged "C" Svetlanas. I mean the junky mud butt Svetlanas. Preampers no clue but, the were splattery and nasty compared to ANY other preamp tubes i threw in. I have a DSL100MLB and it had the Stock "Marshall" Tubes in it when i got it though they only clocked about 5 hours before i bought the amp a few weeks ago. I am about to test me new complete retube right now actualy. Just waiting for them to warm up now that i have them bias'd where i think i want them.

Salsg

Reaction score
JJ (red labeled Marshall) in V1, Shuguangs for V2-V4, and Shuguang KT66s.

I've read some folks say they also got a JJ in V2 as well

Latest posts