• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Stop Press: NAD! Cornford MK50!!!!!!!!

• Thread starter j2112c
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

j2112c

Reaction score
As many of you know I love Cornford as well as Marshalls... and I have got a cracking deal on a Cornford MK50 £750.

I have not seen one under £1000 and £920 bartered.

This is a one owner none gigged studio amp... with recent service and as the owner says:
"recently upgraded the two power valves to the expensive Groove Tubes GT-6L6-GE. These are reissue valves made in the USA with USA components on the original General Electric machines using the original tools, dies, materials and processing formulas. These are just about the best valves you can get."

If it is is as clean as it looks it is a cracking deal.

rjohns (Rick / Fran if I find another at this price I will ship it to you for a sale in the USA)

61802952.jpg

61802992.jpg

I will post a video clip when it lands this weekend!

Of course... as you may remember this is a video I made to sell my 2061x for a Cornford... a while ago then I made the video to sell it and fell in love with the 2061x again... this time... I am not even playing it!
I cannot afford the Cornford unless it goes this time!

THE 2061x IS FOR SALE I CAN DELIVER ANYWHERE ALONG THE M6 & WESTSIDE OF THE UK. Not many come up for sale, RRP £1050 so £740 ono.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtjd3FrgieQ]YouTube - Marshall 2061x NOT for sale[/ame]

j2112c

Reaction score
If there is anyone out there that does not know these sound like, they are not common in the USA, infact, not that common over here in the UK... here is a sample from another poster.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS4okGQlmiM&feature=related[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfmVCrhHYwA]YouTube - Cornford Mk 50[/ame]

j2112c

Reaction score
Congrats John. Great Amps.

David :cheers:

Cheers David, yes stunning1 I have a 5w Carrera and it is a beast... I actually lent it out to Andy of Onslaught for a while for his studio as he came in when my band was playing wondering what the Hell it was.

I have wanted its bigger brother for sometime now...it is a shame the 2061 x has to go, but at this price it is simply a straight swap! I had to do it at this price and the 2061 x is just gather dust.

Rampage

Reaction score
Congratulations on the new amp! I absolutely adore the Cornford tone. Kotzen and Govan can't be wrong!

j2112c

Reaction score
Sloppy playing this time guys, sorry, but I wanted to do a very quick clip for ... this clip will come down in a week, perhaps I will get a better one up by then.

Cornford MK50H & Les Paul VOS '68 Custom

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXZL2sLjRgk]YouTube - ‪Cornford MK50H Tone Clips.mov‬‏[/ame]

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
Sounds killer, John. I'm jealous! And that riff 2:16 is awsome.

BTW, I'll probably have more info about my vacation in the UK soon (the exact dates etc..)

mike mike

Reaction score
That sounds so good. I saw this video earlier. Cornford's are cool. This is the first time i have heard one and it is so creamy smooth and nice. Congratulations, and cool G MAjor preset. very wet.

Luvverly Joobly

Reaction score
Yep! I'm a long term owner too.... love 'em. At the moment I have an older black chassis MK50 and a Hurricane (plus my silver jubilee combo) and I have owned another black chassis, MK50II and a Hellcat head. Congrats on the MK, they rock.

j2112c

Reaction score
Ooh let's see that Les Paul.

Like Cowbell... always need more!
BTW - not PJs, they are an old set of theatre blues I now use for painting and decorating a left over from my years working in intensive care!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnIllbdyE1A]YouTube - ‪Gibson Custom 68 VOS .mov‬‏[/ame]

That sounds so good. I saw this video earlier. Cornford's are cool. This is the first time i have heard one and it is so creamy smooth and nice. Congratulations, and cool G MAjor preset. very wet.

thanks for the comment on You Tube, I must look at the settings for the delay it is the Straight Lead preset, but I then edited it, I will try to make a note of the settings and pop it up on You Tube as a reply. Cheers mate.
Very warm and creamy as you say.. exactly, that is the tone... like the head on a Guinness!
guinness-draft1.jpg

Sounds killer, John. I'm jealous! And that riff 2:16 is awsome.

BTW, I'll probably have more info about my vacation in the UK soon (the exact dates etc..)

Yes the riff is Dio 'Don't Talk To Strangers'.
Yes looking forward to meeting up in the Summer it will be fun, it is a shame you are not here this weekend there are 40 band bands on this bank holiday weekend including Limehouse Lizzy an excellent Lizzy Tribute... I will find us something fun to do!

Yep! I'm a long term owner too.... love 'em. At the moment I have an older black chassis MK50 and a Hurricane (plus my silver jubilee combo) and I have owned another black chassis, MK50II and a Hellcat head. Congrats on the MK, they rock.

WoW! You have at somepoint had the lot! This one is a very early white face, I would love to compare the MK50 to the Hellcat... what did you think of it compared to the black face?

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
Yes the riff is Dio 'Don't Talk To Strangers'.
Yes looking forward to meeting up in the Summer it will be fun, it is a shame you are not here this weekend there are 40 band bands on this bank holiday weekend including Limehouse Lizzy an excellent Lizzy Tribute... I will find us something fun to do!

Dio's got some killer metal riffs!
I'm definately looking forward to meeting up too! I love Thin Lizzy! Makes me want to buy a cheap plane ticket and go on a small vacation now already. Lemme' know when you've found something cool to do.

Luvverly Joobly

Reaction score
WoW! You have at somepoint had the lot! This one is a very early white face, I would love to compare the MK50 to the Hellcat... what did you think of it compared to the black face?

Well, I started off with a black chassis MK50 and nearly sold it within a few weeks. Why? Because it sounded so damn clear, so much definition that I thought I needed more gain! We did a recording of a local pub gig and when I heard it I realised the amp was awesome, it was my sloppy playing that sucked... ha ha. I then proceeded to practise hard and got to love my sound. Then I decided to buy the Hellcat, the only amp I've ever bought brand new and I loved it. It had a sweet sound, very compressed compared the the raw beast that is the MK and I used it for smaller gigs. My only disappointment was the lack of bottom end but it was very good non the less. I did use both through a stereo cab for a while, then the MKII came out and I thought it made sense to sell both and get the MK50II as it had a proper clean channel. I sold my black chassis to a mate and the Hellcat privately to raise cash and was happy with the new amp for a while but I realised quickly that whilst that clean channel was amazing and the amp was more versatile with 2 loops, it seemed to be lacking something? I then met up with my mate and compared the 2 amps back to back and the crunch/ drive of the older amp was so much better, more ballsier, more bottom end and it just felt better to play. I was real pissed when I thought about it, I wished I still had the Hellcat and MK... Arrrggghhhhh. Anyway, sold the MKII and searched and found another excellent example of an even earlier black chassis. I could have got another Hellcat but I like the beastliness of ther MK and wouldn't swap it now. I have since got a Hurricane and use it when we play venues with a full house PA and that thing really sings, more bottom than the Hellcat had and a very sweet sound.Both these amps are ideal for what we play which is just good old classic - heavy rock covers. I don't think there is much if any difference between your white chassis and the black ones so you have a great amp. I eun mine through a few different cabs, a Cornford RK 4 x 12 loaded with V30's, '72 Orange 4 x 12 loaded with G12H30's, Marshall HW 4 x 12 loaded with Heritage G12H30's or my recently re-covered '70's Orange with an X pattern of G12-65's/ G12H anniversaries. All sound great but I'm loving the later as it just sounds so warm and balanced. It looks the dogs to.. I did the retolexing my self and did the headbox to match. However, the Cornford cabs are fantastic. I thought I just didn't like V30s, tried a few Mesa cabs and they were just too dark and directional. The Cornford ones are made of pine and sound excellent, very punchy and balanced and cut through the mix. Infact Martin Kidd (MK = Martin Kidd) voiced the MK to be used with V30's! Hope it rocks your world..... Congrats.:dude:

j2112c

Reaction score
Well, I started off with a black chassis MK50 and nearly sold it within a few weeks. Why? Because it sounded so damn clear, so much definition that I thought I needed more gain! We did a recording of a local pub gig and when I heard it I realised the amp was awesome, it was my sloppy playing that sucked... ha ha. I then proceeded to practise hard and got to love my sound. Then I decided to buy the Hellcat, the only amp I've ever bought brand new and I loved it. It had a sweet sound, very compressed compared the the raw beast that is the MK and I used it for smaller gigs. My only disappointment was the lack of bottom end but it was very good non the less. I did use both through a stereo cab for a while, then the MKII came out and I thought it made sense to sell both and get the MK50II as it had a proper clean channel. I sold my black chassis to a mate and the Hellcat privately to raise cash and was happy with the new amp for a while but I realised quickly that whilst that clean channel was amazing and the amp was more versatile with 2 loops, it seemed to be lacking something? I then met up with my mate and compared the 2 amps back to back and the crunch/ drive of the older amp was so much better, more ballsier, more bottom end and it just felt better to play. I was real pissed when I thought about it, I wished I still had the Hellcat and MK... Arrrggghhhhh. Anyway, sold the MKII and searched and found another excellent example of an even earlier black chassis. I could have got another Hellcat but I like the beastliness of ther MK and wouldn't swap it now. I have since got a Hurricane and use it when we play venues with a full house PA and that thing really sings, more bottom than the Hellcat had and a very sweet sound.Both these amps are ideal for what we play which is just good old classic - heavy rock covers. I don't think there is much if any difference between your white chassis and the black ones so you have a great amp. I eun mine through a few different cabs, a Cornford RK 4 x 12 loaded with V30's, '72 Orange 4 x 12 loaded with G12H30's, Marshall HW 4 x 12 loaded with Heritage G12H30's or my recently re-covered '70's Orange with an X pattern of G12-65's/ G12H anniversaries. All sound great but I'm loving the later as it just sounds so warm and balanced. It looks the dogs to.. I did the retolexing my self and did the headbox to match. However, the Cornford cabs are fantastic. I thought I just didn't like V30s, tried a few Mesa cabs and they were just too dark and directional. The Cornford ones are made of pine and sound excellent, very punchy and balanced and cut through the mix. Infact Martin Kidd (MK = Martin Kidd) voiced the MK to be used with V30's! Hope it rocks your world..... Congrats.:dude:

GREAT STUFF!:wave:

I have Cornford 1x12, but was wondering what to go for cab and speaker wise. I saw the price of the Cornford 4x12 cabs and blanched...:lol::lol:

I may stick with the 1x12 as I was thinking of making a cab enclosure so I can record at full throttle without an attenuator. Smaller cab, less box.. less expensive soundproofing foam!

Fascinating that the MK11 was less ballsy, I had heard that the MK50H was grittier and rawer... it is rawer than my Carrera.... certainly the bass is trouser flapping! I have used the factory manual settings to get a nice balanced sound, but it is interesting how much Presence needed to be added.

Absolutely great amps I am very pleased and very different to the Pink 2204, it is nice to have a mix of amp... it will be interesting to run them in stereo this next weekend!

:wave:

j2112c

Reaction score
Oh mate!!!!!!:applause::applause::applause::wow::wow:

Where do we start... that amazing arse gif... the Black Les Paul, the gorgeous wood cab, the blackface in cream/white, the matching cab, the awe inspiring black face in black tolex... or the stack! Holy Cow Batman....:wow::cheers::p:p

You know I think I have seen these or some before... Cornford forum I think? The Superman hellcat?:fingersx:

They all just look fantastic!:)
I can't single one out.. they are all great! I wanted to say I liked one in particular... but I can't... MEGA!!!!!:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

Nobody into their amps could not go wobbly with that lot... Mega Mega!