Suggestions for Marshall CEO Jeremy Maillard From Us

• Thread starter ByrdmanFL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
This amp doesn't have too many Opamps - it has too many valves for a hybrid amp.

Thats the problem with this moronic "ALL VALVE" amp.

If i want a Valvestate, i buy one. I don't go out to buy a (not so) "All Valve" amp for one and a half to 2 grand.

The 3203 blows it away and doesn't say "All valve". It was clearly sold as hybrid without any need for alibi valves, which V2A/B is in the 900HGDR.

The 900HGDR was clearly marketed as "All valve", which is nothing short of a lie.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Hm, seems I was wrong; there's a 4100 still in production. Curious, what's the problem with them actually?
Besides the fact that the preamp is all transistor,
it doesn't even sound on par with earlier transistor Marshalls, like the 3210 or 3203, 5275 or even the Valvestate 8100, which has a refined 900DR frontend with 2 independant full 3band eq channels.

The amp has no body to it, no ass at all.
It's just too lean down there.

It doesn't clean up satisfyingly with the guitarvolume/tone.

The Reverb stinks.

The pots stink, atleast in the originals, dont know about the re-ishs.

Not everything is bad about it though, it is a fairly reliable amp with usually noiseless and seamless switching.

Ofcourse, maybe some thrash or metal players may like it. But play the same stuff on a more fully equipped with balls amp like a 2203 and the little 4100 rolls itself together on the floor like a beaten dog.

PentodeLicious

Reaction score
Besides the fact that the preamp is all transistor,
it doesn't even sound on par with earlier transistor Marshalls, like the 3210 or 3203, 5275 or even the Valvestate 8100, which has a refined 900DR frontend with 2 independant full 3band eq channels.

The amp has no body to it, no ass at all.
It's just too lean down there.

It doesn't clean up satisfyingly with the guitarvolume/tone.

The Reverb stinks.

The pots stink, atleast in the originals, dont know about the re-ishs.

Not everything is bad about it though, it is a fairly reliable amp with usually noiseless and seamless switching.

Ofcourse, maybe some thrash or metal players may like it. But play the same stuff on a more fully equipped with balls amp like a 2203 and the little 4100 rolls itself together on the floor like a beaten dog.
All that you say is mostly correct.
However it has nothing to do with the opamps or solid state.
It's just a bad design.
I have Bugera 1990i which is a replica of the 4100 but better designed.
That thing sounds amazing. and when you crank it, it shakes the walls.

The preamp is hybrid and first stages are opamps but passes thru valves before the EQ section and the fx loop.
IMO the 900 destroys the 8100 if you know how to set it properly and have EL34 in it.