Suhr SL67 mkII master volume type?

• Thread starter What?
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What?

Reaction score
I have seen lots of mentions that the Suhr SL67 mkII master volume is very effective down to whisper volumes, eliminating the need for an attenuator. And supposedly it is something different than the Lar/Mar PPIMV on the SL67. Anyone know what type of master volume is being used on the SL67 mkII?

dtier

Reaction score
This has got me thinking of the Rich mod that I had tried years back and liked then. I forgot about it and presently have the Lar-Mar type 2 installed on one head. I'm gonna change it to the Rich mod as I think it may sound better at lower volumes? The rich mod appears to load down the grid leaks and the inverter inversly. It's a weird circuit. Am I seeing this correctly?

Attachments

• rich.jpg
    rich.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 37

dtier

Reaction score
Actually I see it's the same but they are using the original grid leak as the safety resistor. The values are just different. However, that arrangement may yield an audible difference.

I have heard recently of just shunting the grid leaks with a dual pot, that would be connected as a rheostat.

Emiel

Reaction score
This has got me thinking of the Rich mod that I had tried years back and liked then. I forgot about it and presently have the Lar-Mar type 2 installed on one head. I'm gonna change it to the Rich mod as I think it may sound better at lower volumes? The rich mod appears to load down the grid leaks and the inverter inversly. It's a weird circuit. Am I seeing this correctly?

I have the Rich Mod II MV in my '68 1987 clone. The amp obviously sounds better with the MV cranked but it works well enough at low volumes. The MKI Suhr looks like to have the Rich Mod, I too wonder what they changed in the MKII. Guess we'll have to wait for inside pictures to show up!!

What?

Reaction score
I sniffed around and ran into this yesterday, which is obviously what Friedman is using. I think it is likely what Suhr is using too. Go to 49m12s.

Friedman is describing it as just a 250k pot in parallel with the bias splitter resistors to reduce the values of the resistors, with resistor values of 130k but saying that 220k resistors sound the same.

Anyone know where that type of PPIMV originates or what it is called? I think I would like to try it on my Ceriatone Plexi 51 in place of the LarMar PPIMV.

What?

Reaction score
From the comments of the video below:

Octopus502 said:
How is the MVC wired? Dave claims it's not a regular PPMV. I ran a few tests over here based on his description and
I believe he flipped the connections to pins 2 and 3 on the pots, added an extra pair of coupling caps and used 2.2M
bias/grid resistors in place of the standard 220k. Is my assumption correct?

Octopus502 said:
I can recheck the wiring of the pot in 2 days. Add caps I didn‘t notice. Output side of PI CCs are 100nF if I recall
correctly. No grid Rs yes. Two 2M2 yes ( as in LarMar). Will let you know.

Octopus502 said:
Pot is wired like a variable resistor instead of a divider, which changes mostly the taper.

Emiel

Reaction score
So the PPIMV is basically a Lar/Mar without grid resistors? Can anyone confirm?

What?

Reaction score
So the PPIMV is basically a Lar/Mar without grid resistors? Can anyone confirm?

That is what it sounds like is being described in the posted comments in that last video for the Plex.