• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Super Bass 100 - Is This Just Another Old Wrecked Amp?

• Thread starter Rumbly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rumbly

Reaction score
Iv'e had non working Super Bass 100 lying in my loft for years, came to me with no power valves and I've never powered it up. Bloke it came from said it was working and just needed valves ... who knows!!

Anyway, even if it was working I really don't have need of a 100W amp anymore, sooooo, the question is, is it worth anything as is? would it be worth having it looked at with a view to getting it working?

Serial number is SB/A 3550 A and sticker inside has a test year of 1969.

Any advice appreciated :0)

..... a few pics .....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

belch

Reaction score
Well it does need some work & after being stored for sooo long it would not be advisable to stick some tubes in & fire it up, it could get messy.

Really it should be looked over by a competent tech & given a thorough check, it could get pricey depending on work needed (£100-£200 i would expect ) but you won't know till it's being done.

Your best bet would be to stick it on ebay, it will find it's market value on there.

If your in the UK & don't want to send it to auction PM me as i may be interested.

MM54

Reaction score
Warning: After sitting around THAT long, I can almost promise that the electrolytics are bad, so don't turn it on without having a tech look over it. Two of the power tube sockets look like they've been replaced, and that paint might be hard to get off the tolex.

At that, it looks pretty rough, I'll give ya $100 for it :fingersx:

Rumbly

Reaction score
Well it does need some work & after being stored for sooo long it would not be advisable to stick some tubes in & fire it up, it could get messy.
Thanks for the info :wave:

I assure you I have noooo intention of putting a mains lead anywhere near it :eek::headbanger: ... not sure the last time the fire extinguisher was serviced :lol: .... I'd definitely leave that to someone with the knowledge and equipment.

Yup I am in the UK .... as I don't have a use for it myself ebay is looking like the place for it as it does seem to have some value and worth the effort of not throwing it in a skip!! It came with a 4x12 cabinet but still to pull the back of it and see what's inside ... when I get a minute to myself!!

Rumbly

Reaction score
Warning: After sitting around THAT long, I can almost promise that the electrolytics are bad, so don't turn it on without having a tech look over it. Two of the power tube sockets look like they've been replaced, and that paint might be hard to get off the tolex.

At that, it looks pretty rough, I'll give ya $100 for it :fingersx:

Yup two of the tube sockets have been replaced, you can tell as they are different color, and have bolts holding them in ... ummm yup 3 bolts and all different:hmm:. I'd say the on/off switch is not original and a fuse holder is not original.

Hey ... the white paint gives it mucho character, why would anybody want to get it off? thats priceless that is, who else has got one like that :lol:

$100 ... hmmmm ... but would you pay the postage to the USA? ... and I'd definitely want loadsacash extra for the superb and uncontestably unique white paint artwork :lol:

belch

Reaction score
Fingers croosed for you that the cab is from the same era as the amp with a quad of greenbacks in there, it could well be worth more than the amp.

As far as listing it on ebay goes you will really need to offer international shipping to get top money for them as a lot of buyers for that kind of kit will be from overseas, the UK market is quite slow at the mo.

Pics please of the cab & speakers.

If you decide on a buy it now price please let me know before you list.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Looks like it is all there. A good clean up and a cap job and you'll have something.

Being that I'm a tube hound, would you pull the metal covers off of the small tubes? I think they are going to be Mullards.:fingersx:

bfglp

Reaction score
you wont want to sell after you play through it!

janarn

Reaction score
A '69 Basketweave cab with pre-Rola speakers.
Find the codes on the the speakers and on the cones,
and they will tell you what you got here.
Most of the value is in original pre-Rola speakers with Pulsonic cones.

wkcchampion

Reaction score
A '69 Basketweave cab with pre-Rola speakers.
Find the codes on the the speakers and on the cones,
and they will tell you what you got here.
Most of the value is in original pre-Rola speakers with Pulsonic cones.

ahaha I know, I have them too

belch

Reaction score
Verrry nice Rumbly.

I can just make out the frame code as t1511 & looks like xxgb ( can't make out the 2 numbers) , so you have july 1969 speakers which should have xx 102 014 code stamped in white ink on the cones.

This should give you an idea of what you could be looking at pricewise, but take into account the shape your amps in.
1969 Marshall JMP50 Guitar Amp Head & 4x12 Cab on eBay (end time 26-Aug-10 14:02:01 BST)

If this guy had sold the cab & amp seperately he could have made a couple of hundred more.

Kunnz

Reaction score
Sweet, get it fixed up and flog both together for at least a couple of grand.

Last edited:

Kunnz

Reaction score
After you flog the Marshall buy youself a hoover, polish them shoes and tidy that place up a bit, c'mon man !.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Man, seriously you're sitting on a gold mine there. The cab looks fine. If you get the amp properly sorted, it will be a killer thing to have.

I;d say that unless your in serious need for the cash, i.e. a kidney transplant, or family being held for randsom, you hang on to it. Spend the couple hundred quid to get it right, and cleaned up. I dont see the value on that going down anytime soon.

Oh, and buy an attenuator for it. And post up sound clips please sir :naughty:

Latest posts