Switching A 240v Amp To 110v?

• Thread starter colchar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

colchar

Reaction score
I am currently in London and am thinking it might be worth buying an amp here because they are so much cheaper than back home in Canada.

For example, the SV20H and SC20H (I already have an SC20H) can be had for the equivalent of $1234.77CDN. If I was to buy either of those in Canada they would cost $2149+13% tax. That is one hell of a savings.

I could buy a transformer to use the 240v amp with our 110v current, but that could be a pain in the ass so I was thinking about having the amp converted to 110v. Problem is, I know less than nothing about electronics so wanted to ask people here - is that easy to do? Is it as simple as just installing a new power transformer (or whatever they are called)?

Even after buying a new transformer and having it installed, I would be saving a ton of money over Canadian prices.

colchar

Reaction score
My Orange AD30 and the new OR30 are both switchable, all you need to do is change the fuse. Too bad all amps aren't like that. And unfortunately, Orange amps aren't quite as good a deal as Marshalls, otherwise I'd buy an OR30 and take it home with me.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps Marshall knew there would be a price discrepancy between the US & Europe, and chose to use different transformers for a reason.

BlueX

Reaction score
I am currently in London and am thinking it might be worth buying an amp here because they are so much cheaper than back home in Canada.

For example, the SV20H and SC20H (I already have an SC20H) can be had for the equivalent of $1234.77CDN. If I was to buy either of those in Canada they would cost $2149+13% tax. That is one hell of a savings.

I could buy a transformer to use the 240v amp with our 110v current, but that could be a pain in the ass so I was thinking about having the amp converted to 110v. Problem is, I know less than nothing about electronics so wanted to ask people here - is that easy to do? Is it as simple as just installing a new power transformer (or whatever they are called)?

Even after buying a new transformer and having it installed, I would be saving a ton of money over Canadian prices.
1987X has voltage selector, about GBP 1500 in the UK.

Latest posts