Talk me into or out of selling my amp.

• Thread starter Jobeyrips
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jobeyrips

Reaction score
I’m the original owner of my Tsl 100 head and 1960a slant cabinet. It was my primary amp forever basically.

I recently purchased an Egnater tweaker 15 watt head with an Egnater 112x rebel cabinet. I’ve enjoyed the tones I’ve gotten out of it so much that I haven’t played my tsl in months (until yesterday). I’ve expanded my pedal board recently to really compliment the tones I can get from the tweaker. I haven’t gigged it yet but even with the 1x12 I only need to have the volume knob between noon and 1 o clock to be the perfect volume for rehearsal.

I turned the tsl 100 on a little to play yesterday and it just didn’t feel like home anymore. That’s when my wheels got turning about selling for some funds to put towards the purchase of a new PRS Silver Sky with maple board :agreed:.

Talk me into keeping or selling my amp. Id hate for it to sit and continue to not be played but I’d also hate to regret selling it. I’d also love opinions on if I should keep the 1960 or sell it as a stack and possibly purchase a different cab for situations I’d need to be louder than then tweaker with my 1x12 can allow.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m the original owner of my Tsl 100 head and 1960a slant cabinet. It was my primary amp forever basically.

I recently purchased an Egnater tweaker 15 watt head with an Egnater 112x rebel cabinet. I’ve enjoyed the tones I’ve gotten out of it so much that I haven’t played my tsl in months (until yesterday). I’ve expanded my pedal board recently to really compliment the tones I can get from the tweaker. I haven’t gigged it yet but even with the 1x12 I only need to have the volume knob between noon and 1 o clock to be the perfect volume for rehearsal.

I turned the tsl 100 on a little to play yesterday and it just didn’t feel like home anymore. That’s when my wheels got turning about selling for some funds to put towards the purchase of a new PRS Silver Sky with maple board :agreed:.

Talk me into keeping or selling my amp. Id hate for it to sit and continue to not be played but I’d also hate to regret selling it. I’d also love opinions on if I should keep the 1960 or sell it as a stack and possibly purchase a different cab for situations I’d need to be louder than then tweaker with my 1x12 can allow.

Hold off on a decision for a while if you can.
The Tweaker puppy love will fade, and you'll regret not having that Marshall TSL/1960 growl.
But if you got to have the PRS, a little time will tell.

Jobeyrips

Reaction score
Hold off on a decision for a while if you can.
The Tweaker puppy love will fade, and you'll regret not having that Marshall TSL/1960 growl.
But if you got to have the PRS, a little time will tell.
I definitely HAVE to have that PRS lol but the amp decision isn’t dire for sure. Can afford to wait on it. My wife just might talk to me a week sooner if I sold something else before buying.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely HAVE to have that PRS lol but the amp decision isn’t dire for sure. Can afford to wait on it. My wife just might talk to me a week sooner if I sold something else before buying.

I just keep thinking of how many threads that I've read with the words "I wish I would have never sold my (insert Marshall amp model here), but..."

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I definitely regret selling all the Marshalls I used to own and as mentioned before, that is a common phrase around these parts.

I say be patient and save for the PRS, what if the PRS and the TSL are the "magic" combo? You'll most likely wish you knew what the PRS sounded like thru the Marshall if you sell it.

Crikey

Reaction score

Keepthecabinet, get a 2203

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score

If funds allow, I'd hold on to the half stack at least until you've been able to gig the Tweaker a few times, to be certain it's not the novelty/honeymoon effect, and that the Egnater actually works for you in a live setting (which ISN'T the same as rehearsal, especially if you're using monitors/mics/PA or play bigger stages, and even more if you often do outdoors gigs).
Else you might end up kicking yourself for selling your amp and being stuck with something that you thought would work for you and actually doesn't, and missing the TSL halfstack.
Or you won't. But at least, you'll know for sure, and you can sell the halfstack and be certain you won't regret it...at least for a while (though you might as well end up getting another one 10 years from now).

So I second @MAGGOTBRAIN on this: if possible, save for the PRS and hold on to the TSL for a little while, at least until you can gig the Egnater and be sure it works for you.
And also, since 4x12s are usually hard to sell (shipping them often isn't an option), and if it pairs up well with the Egnater, consider holding on to it and just selling the head, so you have the option of using it with the Tweaker. It might indeed come handy on outdoors stages where sometimes a 1x12 doesn't cut it.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
However good an amp - or guitar, or motorcycle, or whatever - you have if you don't use it you don't need it. I've hung onto stuff for ages because I thought I ought to. When I finally let go it felt fine. Sometimes great.
That said IDK how to tell you but your TSL isn't worth a fortune. Sorry. Good amp though - I had a combo for ages.

JohnH

Reaction score
If you have the space and $ I say keep it especially the cab. How's the Tweaker through the 4x12? I'd say next time you want a different amp, one of the others could go.

TSL's were the flagship Marshall in their day. But what they were going for in massive versatility was (just IMO) better implemented with help of newer tech a decade later on the JVM's.

But, all things designed go through a period when they get old, but before they are classic. It's sometimes not clear which will emerge from time and achieve a Vintage status.

ido1957

Reaction score
My vote is sell it. I sold my JCM900 last year after I found a 1X12 Combo that is more portable

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
@Jobeyrips
You've not yet answered the implied question of how the Tweaker sounds through the 4x12. I'm also curious what speakers are in the 4x12 and in the Rebel cabinet. Either way, I totally abree with the suggestion to wait ubtil you get to gig the Tweaker and after you get the PRS. The IF the Egnator sounds like doo-due with the 4x12, yet gigs well with the 1x12, then selling the Marshall head and cab makes total sense, as it may go quicker as a set! But again, wait a bit.
Just My :2c:,
Gene

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
One thing that makes PRS guitars seem so much nicer is that they ofetn come with a much better setup than even a high end Fender. From what I understand, a Fender purchased from Wildwood can have all the flaws it left the factory with corrected. Of course, you'll pay for it, making that Fender about the same price as an equivalent PRS. I prefer to buy lightly used guitars tahat have never been bothered with a setup. Usually makes the guitar cheaper and then I go through it from stem to stern and make it my own, and often a guitar many others would love to own! Rarely do I pick up a guitar that I feel needs nothing! Here's my "work in progress" Tele shaped "Strat":

IMG_0534.jpeg

It's got N0-Caster pups in the neck & bridge and a RW/RP 58 in the middle. Still needs a pick guard and some other I-s & T-s dotted!
Sorry for the derail, this just happens to be the guitar currently right beside me that will get full finished soon!
Cheers To All!
Gene

Jobeyrips

Reaction score
@Jobeyrips
You've not yet answered the implied question of how the Tweaker sounds through the 4x12. I'm also curious what speakers are in the 4x12 and in the Rebel cabinet. Either way, I totally abree with the suggestion to wait ubtil you get to gig the Tweaker and after you get the PRS. The IF the Egnator sounds like doo-due with the 4x12, yet gigs well with the 1x12, then selling the Marshall head and cab makes total sense, as it may go quicker as a set! But again, wait a bit.
Just My :2c:,
Gene

Going to play around with this today. I haven’t even ran the tweaker through the 4x12 yet.

Jobeyrips

Reaction score
PRS Silver Sky = overpriced Strat. Buy a USA made Fender and you'll be better off.

PRS does its own thing well. When it comes to copying Fender, all you do is just blow way too much money.

I’m gonna disagree here I have a 2004 American deluxe Stratocaster that I love and a 2014 American standard but played a silver sky the other day and it was just a whole different league in my opinion. Those pick ups are fantastic and that neck is just so easy to play especially the maple fingerboard version.

Attachments

• 1F3A3620-1407-47E9-A131-A12D2BB7BE24.jpeg
    1F3A3620-1407-47E9-A131-A12D2BB7BE24.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 9
  • FE185C9B-7627-4E0A-AFB4-487E4C14896A.jpeg
    FE185C9B-7627-4E0A-AFB4-487E4C14896A.jpeg
    309 KB · Views: 9
  • B559BF78-7CAB-42C7-AF66-F996357F186D.jpeg
    B559BF78-7CAB-42C7-AF66-F996357F186D.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 9
  • BF31DA4B-DEAD-4485-B092-FEECF3D1B1D6.jpeg
    BF31DA4B-DEAD-4485-B092-FEECF3D1B1D6.jpeg