Tell me about the Vintage Modern

• Thread starter wannabweiland
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wannabweiland

Reaction score
Can you guys tell me a bit about these. If they're worth looking into. Just sold my Stiletto and I'm looking to get something that takes pedals well and just has a great base tone with decent gain. And something I can buy used relatively cheap.

I remember playing a VM right when they came out and I do remember liking it although I had a rough time dialing it in and I was young and dumb then and didn't realize how the low and high settings worked. Any input is helpful.

Username2

Reaction score
Personally I think it is one of the top 10 amps on the market today. They sound great with a Strat or a Les Paul.

It is a single channel amp with two ranges (low/high) Play it old school by cranking the master and using your guitars volume to dial in your gain. When you demo it set everything at 50% then adjust the body and detail to your liking. Really a amp that needs no pedals and has plenty of gain with the great KT66 sound. I do highly recommend a clean boost to use in low range to get some added headroom, very plexi like.

The Vintage Modern is based of JTM period amps which is classic Marshall. I like the 100 watt version the best. There is a Vintage Modern Forum that has a lot of clips and more information if you are seriously considering one.

Salsg

Reaction score
VM is a great and I have owned them in the past. Ultimatley I got rid of it to get a Jubilee.
Loved everything abut that excet the ability to get a real lead boost, if your rhythm tone is high gain and just want the same but louder. The FX loop with a boost does not work in that amp like it does with other Marshalls

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I highly recommend the Vintage Modern. Great tones at very manageable volumes. It sounds great at band volumes and also at low to moderate volumes for at-home jamming. My 800’s tone is very hard to beat with the band but the Vintage Modern's tones are warm and articulate and it definitely has that old Marshall tone. A great amp. My only complaint with the VM is that the digital reverb is kind of weak.

quiksilver98

Reaction score
I owned a 50wattVM for 1 week and it just wasnt loud enough......dimed at practices..... It seems to be a common complaint too....

Tones are amazing!

hbach

Reaction score
I owned a 50wattVM for 1 week and it just wasnt loud enough......dimed at practices..... It seems to be a common complaint too....

Tones are amazing!

It really is a 35W/70W and not 50W/100W amp.

Rockerduck

Reaction score
I have the 100watt 2466. I traded in my always breaking down DSL100 for. While I do like the DSL, the VM cuts through the mix alot better, with less volume to do it. It is more responsive than the DSL as you better play more precise or the VM will show your sloppyness. Great sounding amp;it doesn't do the bass thump of the DSL. Like I said, the VM cuts through better and more articulately.

BluesRocker

Reaction score
Can you guys tell me a bit about these. If they're worth looking into. Just sold my Stiletto and I'm looking to get something that takes pedals well and just has a great base tone with decent gain. And something I can buy used relatively cheap.

I remember playing a VM right when they came out and I do remember liking it although I had a rough time dialing it in and I was young and dumb then and didn't realize how the low and high settings worked. Any input is helpful.

The VM is a fantastic amp.

If you are serious about getting one, PM me I am selling mine.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
i played one against my 2204 & it seemed a hair darker in the mids so it didn't come across as loud when dimed.

MKB

Reaction score
Definitely try one. Users seem to either adore or hate them. I've owned and played Marshalls of all kinds for the last 32 years, and I think my 2466 is the best Marshall ever, at least for my purposes. It just has "it". Not as versatile as other Marshalls, but the tone and dynamics well make up for it.

papa-seano

Reaction score
I have the 50w and think its great. It is quite heavy in the mids I personally think and has a little less sparkle than the DSL on the lower range which can be good or bad depending on what you want.
The gain is thick without being raw like my old 2204 but my Jtm did have a little more of an..open sound if that makes any sense.
Takes pedals ok :hmm: but the colour of the pedal tends to blend in to drive of the amp rather than adding its own personality mainly on the higher gain setting IMO.
My BC108 fuzz does'nt sound as brutal and really sings through this amp. On the DSL It can sound a little harsh.

Heres my pros and cons :)

Username2

Reaction score
It really is a 35W/70W and not 50W/100W amp.

The 50W Vintage Modern will put out around 36W(RMS) clean and 50W(RMS) when driven, just like the old JTM45s. Other 50W Marshalls put out 50W (RMS) clean then more when driven. The 100W VM put outs 77W (RMS) clean and 100W (RMS) when driven.

Also using a DSL100 through a 1960bv and a 2466 through the same cabinet the following SLP was measured @ 1ft.

.DSL100 = 124.6 dBa
2466 = 128 dBa

The VM is louder but the DSL seems louder because of the SLP at different frequncies heard by the human ear.

hbach

Reaction score
The 50W Vintage Modern will put out around 36W(RMS) clean and 50W(RMS) when driven, just like the old JTM45s. Other 50W Marshalls put out 50W (RMS) clean then more when driven. The 100W VM put outs 77W (RMS) clean and 100W (RMS) when driven.

Also using a DSL100 through a 1960bv and a 2466 through the same cabinet the following SLP was measured @ 1ft.

.DSL100 = 124.6 dBa
2466 = 128 dBa

The VM is louder but the DSL seems louder because of the SLP at different frequncies heard by the human ear.

Thanks for correcting the exact numbers! I didn't know about the SLP measurement. Interesting!

Dave666

Reaction score
I have one, they sound best with single coils or P90 IMO. And if you want it to really shine, get one of those 425 VM cabs!
A cab with regular greenbacks or V30's does the job well to.
The amp has more than gain enough for those old school 80's thrash tones.
I use it in LDR mostly with a clean boost in front of it!!

willyh

Reaction score
Here is my Question:confused: I went from No Marshalls To all Marshalls. My Soldano Lucky 13 had KT66 tubes...had awesome clean and Overdrive channel, Best of both Worlds. I have been thinking about Vintage Modern and I Was wondering about clean and headroom. Miss KT66's, I know Marshall's are known for high gain....Would I be going in the Wrong direction with a VM for cleaner big tube tone?? Already have the purple 425a cab and would like head to match.I would be using it thru VHT 2-12 with V30's also. I would use the Gain but not all the time..Maybe OLd Bassmen head would be better for me??? suggestions

Username2

Reaction score
You can get semi cleans in high range by backing off the guitars volume. These are not Fender cleans but are very thick and juicy (think Trowers tone).

The VM shines in low range but IMO lacks headroom stock, the 100 watt obviously has more but when you pair a clean boost pedal in low range the headroom is not only there but so is some of the best KT66 tone Marshall offers. As others have said its a players amp. A simple clean boost and OD pedal are good companions with the amp.

willyh

Reaction score
I have a EP3 and Keeley Modded Blues Driver and a Original Guv' nor, Main Guitars have single coil Duncan Vintage Pickups. Have 2 guitars with Duncan vintage P-90 and PAF H.B. not looking for super clean, but Cleanertone than Super Lead with a little edge.. Had A 1958 Deluxe that I wish I still had. OH the ones that got away!!