The Dad

• Thread starter Peaty
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Peaty

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm not the musician. Only the dad of kids that play in bands. Roadie by default I suppose. I found the forum searching around for information on Marshall amps and cabs. There's so much here my head is going to explode! :Ohno:

I've got two teenagers that have started to do some gigs locally. I live in Lawrence KS which believe it or not has a pretty big music scene and encourages young kids to play. My Daughter is 13 and has been playing guitar since she was 8. My son is 16 and has been playing only a few years but it's pretty much all he does all the time. He plays Bass primarily but more recently started playing guitar too.

I love music but sadly don't play myself so I have to live vicariously through them :D I am big into photography though so I'm happy to shoot their gigs.

Here are some of my son, he's playing the Bass and singing (okay screaming) at our local venue The Bottleneck:

https://plus.google.com/photos/116506036380161586499/albums/5758885517017847681

another place in Topeka KS:

https://plus.google.com/photos/116506036380161586499/albums/5742055437408386785

My Daughter had a few gigs this year too:

https://plus.google.com/photos/109512727678539949818/albums/5770231473676311873

She's the one with the hat. My daughter is taking after me being interested in electronics and tinkering. I've attached a few pics of her making a Tube Screamer clone from BYOC for her brother's birthday present.

My daughter plays music more in line with what I like, mostly main stream old school stuff. I can't say I'm crazy about my son's style. He calls it "Pop-Core" to me it sound like the Cookie Monster is just really pissed off. No matter, it makes him happy so it makes me happy too.

So far he hasn't played guitar on a stage but he's been practicing a lot with a new band. He uses a MG100 DFX in the basement but recently picked up a Marshall all tube head that I want to ask about matching a cab to. I'll go to the appropriate forum for that though. Here I just wanted to say hello and thanks for the info so far.

Peaty

Attachments

• practice.jpg
    practice.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 26
  • basement.jpg
    basement.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN4174_e.jpg
    DSCN4174_e.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN4177.JPG
    DSCN4177.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 28

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
welcome:)

i use the term "pop core" as well. bands like "asking alexandria" fall into that category.

well i hope it all goes well my friend:) it's ahrd road but if there's love it's well worth it;)

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome_%281%29.gif

Peaty

Reaction score
Thanks everyone :)

diesect20022000, yes my son listens to "asking alexandria" I'm sure of it. "Of Mice and Men" and others. Like I said not my cup of tea but to me music is a personal thing. It just amazes me that they can get up in front of people and be so natural at it. You can see it how happy it makes them when they are performing.

Thanks again for the welcome, I'm going to hopefully find the right section to post my question.

Cheers,

Peaty

Nudge68

Reaction score
Welcome, mate!

Your kids are lucky to have a dad like you.

Cheers,

Matt.

Peaty

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum... Your desk looks like my desk at home... LOL

That spot was my wife's workspace in my office but has now been taken over by my daughter. It's much more organized than my desk :)

This is her building the pedal kit:

Build Your Own Clone Message Board • View topic - Work in progress - Classic OD

I don't know if anyone here is familiar with BYOC but it was a great find for me. It combined my kids love of building stuff with her love of music.

Like I said I love music, pretty much all types but I do like live the best. Lawrence has quite a few venues and as my form of community service I take my camera to shows and shoot them for the local talent. It's a hobby so I do it for free, most of the bands are just struggling artists and it's my way of helping out while getting to enjoy music. If you live in Lawrence and play let me know I'm happy to attend shows and take pics. some of my stuff is here:

http://peatpics.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_page=2

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Peaty.

I'm in a similar position to you - family and old friends band here.
Except that I'm in the band. Also, my children like older music.
None of them are itching to play anything called 'core' or 'metal'.

As for speakers for your boy's Marshall... we don't want your head to explode!

Read the threads for a bit and you will probably get the idea that there are some tried-and-true models.
You don't need to over-think the matter.
I have just this last week seen some threads here from people who bought nice Marshall speaker cabs at bargain prices.

Generally they all sound good.
What you see people discussing at length here is just questions about optimising their speaker choice for different combinations of amps and styles of music.

Peaty

Reaction score
Welcome!!! Some great shots in there too. What do you shoot?

Thanks,

I have two Nikon bodies a D3x and a D300. I've got quite a few lenses, but for concerts I don't like to use a flash if I can avoid it so I have two f 2.8 zoom lenses. My favorites are a Nikkor 70-200mm and a Nikkor 24-70mm, Both excellent lenses for low light and cover quite a range. I frequently use a Nikkor 50 mm f1.4 prime lens too. I've been into photography since high school so it's been a serious hobby for some time. I can't make music so this is how I give back to the music community :) I also shoot my kids soccer games and stuff like that. I like to joke with my son, when we load up his BassWagon with his gear and my Pelican case of photography gear, he just tripled the value of his car ;)

While it's not my primary job function at work I do some "Industrial Photography" taking pics of products, processes and equipment. The other thing I'm into is cars, specifically Subarus. I help with a website where I have detailed photos of how to modify and work on them called www.scoobymods.com I try and work photography into just about everything I can...

Peaty

hbach

Reaction score
Welcome! Man, that is so inspirational with your kids getting up to so much cool stuff. I also enjoy playing and amp/fx building, guitar setup and whatnot.

Why don't you pick up a guitar yourself? Lack of talent has not held me back :)