The Final Word On Tapping

• Thread starter Whizzercone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
I never bothered to try learning. Not my style. I briefly dabbled in behind the head playing. lol

RLW59

Reaction score
How about the first word on tapping?

(Film from early 1930's, tapping starts about 50 seconds in)

Roy Smeck, the "Wizard of the Strings". Huge star on guitar, uke, and banjo from the late 1920's to the late '40s. (But still guesting on TV variety shows into the late '60s.)

Mid 1930's, Gibson's "Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe" was their second Artist Signature model (Nick Lucas had the first sig model).

Edward was most likely telling the truth when he said he never heard of Roy. But as a child he could have seen Roy on TV and the idea of tapping was planted in his subconscious.
---------------------------
Jeff Beck tapped way back with the Yardbirds. Usually just a note or two, never complex runs.

And Roy probably wasn't the first. People have been doing flashy things forever. It's just a logical extrapolation of hammer-ons.

Of course, Edward certainly took it to a new level.

Last edited:

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Ace did it first. He was the genius behind Ed.

And ...

Here is my mentor, and very muched missed friend Dave Bunker Sr. back in 1960. He invented his own tapping instrument, which was only the second instrument granted a patent in the US in 1958.

Here's some later stuff.

And here is the guy who inspired hin - Jimmy Webster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyFEJ4xSBEk

The point isn't who invented tapping... The point is there weren't a lot of folks doing it before EVH. Paganini was tapping on his violin back in the late 18th and early 19th century.

Paganini was supposed to have been possessed by the devil for his technique way before anyone heard of Robert Johnson.

I see it as a tool....but what the hell - I don't mind giving Ace, AKA Vinsanitizer, AKA Scott Baio in drag the credit.

KISS ARMY BITCHES!!!!

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score

I see it as a tool....but what the hell - I don't mind giving Ace, AKA Vinsanitizer, AKA Scott Baio in drag the credit.

KISS ARMY BITCHES!!!!
Thanks bro. After my recent breakup with what's her name (it starts with an 'L'), I could use the encouragement. :yesway:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Aside from the fact that EVERYBODY to take guitar lessons in the 80s or 90s probably was taught to play at least PART of Eruption by his guitar teacher, me included, I never much cared to learn any more than that.

The only guy I ever heard other than EVH who really made MUSIC to my ears with tapping techniques was Michael Hedges.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Aside from the fact that EVERYBODY to take guitar lessons in the 80s or 90s probably was taught to play at least PART of Eruption by his guitar teacher, me included, I never much cared to learn any more than that.

The only guy I ever heard other than EVH who really made MUSIC to my ears with tapping techniques was Michael Hedges.

a lot of these guys who use it in a folk sense, were probably inspired by Phil Keaggy...

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Here is my mentor, and very muched missed friend Dave Bunker Sr. back in 1960. He invented his own tapping instrument, which was only the second instrument granted a patent in the US in 1958.

Here's some later stuff.

And here is the guy who inspired hin - Jimmy Webster.

The point isn't who invented tapping... The point is there weren't a lot of folks doing it before EVH. Paganini was tapping on his violin back in the late 18th and early 19th century.

Paganini was supposed to have been possessed by the devil for his technique way before anyone heard of Robert Johnson.

KISS ARMY BITCHES!!!!

Interesting. Makes me wonder if Chapman knew about that guy.